Skip to content

[v1.1] Skitia's NPCs For BG2:EE and EET

Comments

• ArcaneMagic24ArcaneMagic24 Member Posts: 21
    edited July 2021
    Okay, so uh...I had to completely uninstall/reinstall Steam, including my BG2 mods and such. I reinstalled my fixpacks and the NPC pack, and when I load my save game, Emily no longer has voices on selection and her name changed to "Just one more." It looks like all her dialogue is completely screwed up and I'm not sure what happened. I'm sure I'll just have to fiddle with reinstalling stuff more, but have you ever seen this happen?

I feel like something isn't reinstalling right. If I uninstall the NPC pack entirely, all it seems to do is remove Emily's portrait while the glitchy name and text remain. If I validate game files, Steam replaces 2 files and Emily's name changes to Invalid with some numbers, as does her text.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    you can't use the same save one a new install.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited July 2021
    Yeah, modded installs are fragile and unless you ensure the exact patch version, the exact mod versions and the exact mod installation order, you can't reuse saves. You can however duplicate out your modded installations and keep them because the EE games are "portable" (assuming Baldur.lua in their save folder is moved along with them between computers even).
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,062
    edited July 2021
    You technically can re-use saves, but it requires re-assigning all of the right string values in Nearinfinity, which requires remembering what each line is or referencing the mod files for them. I'd say its a bit advanced in skill and time, but possible. Its what I did to keep my saves as I didn't feel like starting over again. The time it took to fix it in NearInfinity was far less than what it would take to get my game back to where I was again.

For most user cases, I would recommend starting a new save or getting the exact order right.
    edited August 2021
    Oh god.

I mean I'm using the same mod installers as before, none of them are updated or anything. I haven't updated my NPC installer either.

I've spent like 40 hours so far doing every possible thing in chapter 2, including Watcher's Keep, and I am NOT doing that all again. Worst case scenario, I'll have to abandon Emily ;_; I'll try a bit more but it isn't looking good.

NearInfinity is...man, this is a mess. I have no idea where to even begin fixing things.

This guy had the same problem: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60935/bug-with-npc-name-in-dialogue-box

Can you tell the mods and installation order from save games? Emily's banter with Minsc triggered fine, so it looks like if I fix her name and walking/command lines, I might be okay...?

Another edit/update: I THINK I see how this works. I was able to restore Emily's name and I found the bugged text in X3EMI.dlg. There's some X3EMI25 files as well, not sure what the difference is. I see how to change the strings but I'm not sure how to get started on tracking down where the real values are. Is there a way to see a default version of the files so I can compare?
    Post edited by ArcaneMagic24 on
    I will be add something to Emily so it can restore the dialogue/name when you initiate PID. That will help with any future name/walking/command lines breaks that happen. I'll upload the script tomorrow evening.

Skitia wrote: »
    I will be add something to Emily so it can restore the dialogue/name when you initiate PID. That will help with any future name/walking/command lines breaks that happen. I'll upload the script tomorrow evening.

What's PID? And that sounds amazing, I'll wait till you upload it to go back to my game then! Thank you!
    edited August 2021
    That's when you talk to the NPC with the talk button. I actually just finished pushing the update to github to do that for the BG2 mod.

There should be a new topic amongst the options Emily has that says: "Your voice seems a bit funny." When you click it it will update all of the strings for Emily.
    edited August 2021
    That's when you talk to the NPC with the talk button. I actually just finished pushing the update to github to do that for the BG2 mod.

There should be a new topic amongst the options Emily has that says: "Your voice seems a bit funny." When you click it it will update all of the strings for Emily.

I will download and install the update now! Update: Seems to have worked. I appreciate you so much for this ^^

Also, a silver lining to my installation screwup. Kale's name has changed to "Come on, (name). I can't protect you if I'm not with you. And I don't want anything to happen with you, you here?" I'm not sure if that line belongs to him, but if it does, "here" needs to be "hear". Also, should it be "to you" instead of "with you"?
    Nice catch, I'll have that fixed.
    Emily just had a chat with Minsc. She says "MINSC, are you okay?" Every other instance has his name just listed as Minsc instead of all capitalized letters.
    She's shouting his name, desperately trying to get his attention, before it's...

I fixed it, thanks for finding another one! :)

Also added the same dialogue script fix for Kale.
    Bit of a different question - what are the console commands to check Emily's romance status? I'm in the Underdark and I'm pretty sure I finished her original quest in the city to get approval, so maybe the questline/romance shouldn't be active yet anyway.
    edited August 2021
    Spoiler tag since it reveals some mechanics.
    GetGlobal("X3EmiRomanceActive","GLOBAL") -> This needs to be at 1 or 2. If it doesn't exist, then one of the below is true
    -Interest GetGlobal("X3EmiInterest","LOCALS") was never conveyed (Needs to be at one when you hover over Emily.
    -You are evil
    -You are female
    -Your approval is too low
    Romantic interest is pretty easily remedied by talking to her directly and expressing romantic interest with one of the PID conversations I put in case it was missed.

GetGlobal("X3EmiApp","GLOBAL") -> This will get Emily's current approval of your actions. Max is 120. If you exceed 120 it will put it back to 120. The first time the threshold is exceeded you'll notice Emily receives an additional Dexterity/Intelligence point. You need at least 30 to start the romance and 80 to get the last few conversations.

GetGlobal("X3EmiLoveTalk","LOCALS") -> This will help you get the current talk you are on. It needs to be put in while the clicker is hovering over Emily to get the value. The culminating conversation for Global("X3EmiRomanceActive","GLOBAL",2) is around 22+ or so.

The quest outcome doesn't really play into the romance except one case (Another spoiler for quest details)
    Unless she is put in to duel her brother and dies, in which case she is gone for good.
    but helping her helps net more approval. She can fail to become the heir or succeed and the romance will continue either way as long as you are not a jerk.
    edited August 2021
    Okay, so it should have triggered already. I have the multiple romances mod and I guess it set her variable to 3. I'll change it to 1 and ask her to talk privately at next rest and see what happens.

I've edited this post about 50 times. To simplify things: I got her romance working. I had to get a "clone" Emily though to do her quest finale, Charles would not recognize the Emily I had. He just pretended she wasn't there.

After her fight, "I want you to support me, and help advice me" needs to say advise instead of advice.

Also, when recovering Emily after the Bodhi scene, it seems to pull the "correct" version of Emily in. As in, one of the underlevelled clones. My powered up Emily was gone. I restarted from before the scene and changed my romance to someone else to avoid this.

Later, Emily says "Hopefully you pick a really nice an inn for us." Need to get red of "an" there.

Not really a typo, but I found it funny how in ToB, when you go to the fire giant mountain and go into their lair, Emily still says "I'm freezing!" despite there being literal lava flowing around on the ground and multiple furnaces burning hot.

I'm going to finish the game with Aerie romance then swap things out for Emily to see her final set of love lines/any ending content and will let you know if I see any other issues. My time with this playthrough is almost over and I might revisit things in the future, and if I do, I'm definitely bringing Emily along again.
    edited August 2021
    Pardon the double post, but I was going to go crazy if I had to edit the previous one any more. Remaining typos I found:

-Romance talk after Saradush - when you say "Come here", the text is "(You hold her tight as she leans against you for comfort." The closing parentheses is missing.

-In that same conversation, she says "I just wish things would settle down so I could take a breathe." This can be fixed in two ways - either change it to breath, or breather would also work.

-"Still, I can't wait for our next rest already." This...might be correct? It's just one of those things my mind flags as weird. I'd expect "Still, I already can't wait for our next rest." or "Still, I can't wait for our next rest."

-After taking down Balthazaar, "There must be some way to accomplish without killing anyone else, right?" I'm not sure what she's trying to say here. If she means our overall goals, she could say "There must be some way to accomplish our goals without killing anyone else, right?" just saying accomplish by itself doesn't work.

Remaining text in spoilers for ending reasons.
    "I think You'll adjust fine to life at the estate with me. I think you would make great lord, even. A great father, too." A few things here. The You'll needs to not be capitalized, and she needs to say "a great lord".
    Thanks, I'll update all of these spelling errors, or I guess mostly grammar/syntax stuff.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Hi @Skitia , a question: as soon as I finish BG1 I intend to carry on to BG2 with Vienxay, Kale, Helga , Imoen (at chapter 3) and Dorn. Would they get along with Dorn?
  • MaisCreamMaisCream Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2021
    I have started a new adventure and Vienxay is in my party. I just left Berengost and she wanted to ask my charname a question. Option 1 (What is it?), 2 (I'm listening) and 3 (This will be interesting) gives the "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINK" error/bug. Option 4 (This isn't the best time): gives (Hrmph, as you say). Option 4 does stops her continuing the talk, though I don't think that is a nice option.

Question is....how can I fix this problem? thanks for help ^_^;
    @MaisCream What class is your character?

@DJKajuru All three of my NPCs that you are bringing along are okay with Dorn. The only one who isn't is Emily and she doesn't appear to be in your party.
  • MaisCreamMaisCream Member Posts: 4
    My char is a warlock. I also reinstalled Emily's mod a few times after the Vienxay mod (because she is not outside the Felder post inn). I chose option 4 in the meantime (getting the hrmph answer). Probably have to be extra nice to her the next time we converse...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @MaisCream What class is your character?

@DJKajuru All three of my NPCs that you are bringing along are okay with Dorn. The only one who isn't is Emily and she doesn't appear to be in your party.

Thank you o/
  • lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    Can we all agree that the name Vienxay is metal as fuck? A name I never could have imagined and it is one of the best ever.
  • rossbach451rossbach451 Member Posts: 168
    I probably did a bad thing with adding mods, but Vienxay won't talk after I pay her fine. Are there any prerequisites besides paying the fine? Emily speaks and will join the party, so I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this.
    I can double check to see if I can replicate.
    I really think it was some late mods I added, but I did uninstall and then reinstall yours just in case. Thus far, it is only that moment that seems off. Is there any way to force the dialogue?
    edited September 2021
    C:SetGlobal("X3VieMet","GLOBAL",-1)

I tested it locally and I didn't have any problems, so it may be the mods you installed
    edited September 2021
    Thank you! I made the change, in global the variable was wrong. I used yours, good to go. Thanks again!
  • Chicken7023Chicken7023 Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2021
    Hi ! I'm playing with a party including Helga and Kale. There seems to be a problem with Helga's quest. The first round works properly, but the cutscene doesn't fire after the second round, so i'm stuck. I don't know which variables to change so I can bypass that problem. Kale quest seemed fine, except seeing Jillian at the end didn't put an end to the quest (in the journal and in the variable, staying at 7)
    I'll do a quick replication test of both of these errors and get back to you. :)