Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 3: Worldwide Reveal (actual gameplay)

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    The first thing I noticed was that you apparently have to play a pre-made character instead of creating your own. That's a total deal-breaker for me.

Then, the pre-made character he selected was a vampire spawn. All RPG "edgelord" type material makes me cringe and roll my eyes. Another deal-breaker if all the characters are edgelords.

I couldn't get past the tutorial area in D:OS 2 because I hated all the companions except maybe the dwarf. I also didn't like that they had no class identities - I was going to have to decide as the player how to build every one of them, and it looked like every one of them could be any class. Everyone was "special", so no one was.

Larian's version of BG is going to be a very hard sell for me. I'm not sure yet whether I'll buy it before it's years old and discounted, if then. I'm waiting now to see what the final release will look like.

I can't say I'm "disappointed" or anything like that. The preview looked exactly like what I was expecting. Another Divinity game. So I guess I'd be excited if I liked Divinity games, but sadly, I don't.
  • EnilwynEnilwyn Member Posts: 140
    edited February 2020

The sad part is I'm not even sure this was needed. They could have just made D:OS3. The 2nd one was well received, wasn't it?

I think what we're going to ultimately end up with is BG3 being the launchpad for D&D Campaign and Adventure settings for video games. I don't see any reason why there couldn't be a Baldur's Gate: Descent into Avernus "the video game!" using the DOS framework. And over time, with more and more campaigns and engine evolutions, the DOS engine isn't even associated with DOS as much. Kind of like how the Infinity Engine became synonymous with a whole group of games, not just BG.

Right now, I feel like this is a very cheap bait and switch from WotC. As I've alluded to, I don't blame the devs. They are working with an expanding what they do really well. More of a false advertising/branding issue than anything else. And I could easily change my mind on this depending on how it unfolds. I'm not holding my breath though.
    Post edited by Enilwyn on
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    The turn-based system might function a little differently in D:OS, but it's even MORE different from the original BG system. The pause-based pseudo turn system of BG has always been one of the biggest draws for the game for me personally, and I really do not like fully turn-based games like D:OS or XCom. Dragon Age is much more of a spiritual successor to BG to me than D:OS, and I'm very disappointed to see this departing from the original BG formula like this.

But who knows, actual D&D is hard turn-based after all so maybe the D&D purists prefer it that way.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    The first thing I noticed was that you apparently have to play a pre-made character instead of creating your own. That's a total deal-breaker for me.

Then, the pre-made character he selected was a vampire spawn. All RPG "edgelord" type material makes me cringe and roll my eyes. Another deal-breaker if all the characters are edgelords.

I can't say I'm "disappointed" or anything like that. The preview looked exactly like what I was expecting. Another Divinity game. So I guess I'd be excited if I liked Divinity games, but sadly, I don't.

They already addressed that issue in an interview. You can use an origin character or made a custom one, like in previous game. Baldur’s Gate 3 will let players enjoy significantly more meaningful, nuanced stories using custom characters than they could in Divinity 2, this according to Larian Studios senior writer Adam Smith.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/baldurs-gate-3-will-fix-one-of-divinity-2s-biggest-flaws-3985098

I think there is an elf, human and githyanki characters in the gameplay. Sven also showed half-elf, elf, dwarf, etc in the character creation.

and just to follow up: The companions are actually locked into their class. Which is maybe good and maybe bad - but it's the total opposite of lacking a class identity.

I'll agree @BelgarathMTH that the vampire spawn thing is campy - but then again, a moderately insane ranger that spoke to a hamster falls squarely into the "camp" category as well. So if I can live with that, I think I can live with this.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Something that kept nagging at me when watching the gameplay... why does the halfling have those giant, dumbo-like elven ears? Last time I saw pics of later DnD edition halflings they were still equipped with human ears?
  • SikorskySikorsky Member Posts: 402
    Do you find this jumping in game super stupid and ridiculous? Who can jump like that? I understand that this is game but why use swords when you have such force in your legs? The most stupid thing I see in game in a while. Is that common in DnD that everyone have 3m vertical jump?
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    1varangian wrote: »
    Arranging boxes into a stairway or any other tetris style puzzle thing *can* be fun, but I don't want that in a BG title. I just want a gripping story and D&D combat where death can be a real consequence.

Hmm... all the riddles in BG1 and 2. The ritual puzzles like in the Watcher's Keep or the shadow dungeon. Placing a series of items in the correct containers based on a set of written clues. The puzzles to get the talking sword in the sewers. The various puzzles in Durlag's Tower.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    edited February 2020
    DinoDin wrote: »
    Arranging boxes into a stairway or any other tetris style puzzle thing *can* be fun, but I don't want that in a BG title. I just want a gripping story and D&D combat where death can be a real consequence.

Hmm... all the riddles in BG1 and 2. The ritual puzzles like in the Watcher's Keep or the shadow dungeon. Placing a series of items in the correct containers based on a set of written clues. The puzzles to get the talking sword in the sewers. The various puzzles in Durlag's Tower.

Tetris refers to how you interact with the environment. Environment mini game where characters throw big crates or whatever around effortlessly "because it's fun creative gameplay". I'm not arguing it can be fun but it looks distracting in a serious RPG.

IE games didn't need that, Pillars didn't need that, Pathfinder didn't need that.
    DinoDin wrote: »

Tetris refers to how you interact with the environment. Environment mini game where characters throw big crates or whatever around effortlessly "because it's fun creative gameplay". I'm not arguing it can be fun but it looks distracting in a serious RPG.

IE games didn't need that, Pillars didn't need that, Pathfinder didn't need that.

Pillars had very few puzzles, and frankly, could have used some
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @jjstraka34 "3.) Larian earned the right to make this game by winning the recent "battle" of retro RPGs. Their Divinity: Orginal Sin games were more successful and flat-out better than Obsidian's and inExile's."

I'll accept "more successful" but they were NOT "better". The PoE series and Tyranny were some of the best RPGS I've ever played. And I've played a LOT of RPGS.

Looks like all us naysayers have been right from the very beginning. This is not BG3 by any stretch of the imagination. The title is just a cynical appeal to nostalgia for a game Larian isn't even making. Its an insult to fans of the BG series.

I guess I understand why people feel that way, but I feel like I'm watching to video-game version of the uproar over the new Star Wars trilogy. And I still think Pillars was more of a direct appeal to nostalgia than this, even with the name involved. There hasn't be a truly successful D&D video game since the Neverwinter Nights series, unless you count free-to-play junk MMOs. They weren't going to make Pools of Radiance 2. Neverwinter's name is already on the MMO. They went with the title with the most prestige. They went with the developer they feel has their thumb on the largest amount of players in the current market. No, it is certainly not a traditional Baldur's Gate game. But we're operating under the idea that Baldur's Gate means "2nd Edition, RTwP, Bhaalspawn Saga". To Wizards of the Coast, it simply means "pretige D&D title". Baldur's Gate was a city in the first game. But it's more than that. Baldur's Gate the title is itself monolithic. It transcends what originally was. It SOUNDS important, foreboding, mysterious. Many people who play the new game will have no idea what Baldur's Gate actually is in the realm of Faerun. It's a stamp that says "this is our heavyweight D&D title".
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @jjstraka34 "And I still think Pillars was more of a direct appeal to nostalgia than this, even with the name involved."

PoE actually carried the spirit of the games it was paying homage to though. It makes sense that it appealed to nostalgia, since its look and feel was VERY BG. PoE1 has a better claim to "BG3" than anything ever made by Larian.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    All the bits I've gotten to watch from this yesterday have me super excited.

Now the question is whether I play through all of BG again first or if I play through all of DOS first (ideally both before this comes out)
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited February 2020
    Looks like all us naysayers have been right from the very beginning. This is not BG3 by any stretch of the imagination. The title is just a cynical appeal to nostalgia for a game Larian isn't even making. Its an insult to fans of the BG series.

Citation needed.

The whole leap thing seems like making a mountain out of a molehill. The BG franchise is notorious for giving the player things that werent supposed to be possible: See the innate bhallspawn powers. See the avatar of Bhaal ability.

The jump's just a mechanic. Like those mechanics. You can like or not, but suggesting that this is anything but Larian taking inspiration for BG1 and 2 is disingenuous.

We should also never confuse BG for a faithful interpretation of D&D. Ever. For example, Elves can be brought back by raise dead in BG1 and 2. The monk, barbarian sorceror and HLAs were grafted onto the series.

Citation needed.

The whole leap thing seems like making a mountain out of a molehill. The BG franchise is notorious for giving the player things that werent supposed to be possible: See the innate bhallspawn powers. See the avatar of Bhaal ability.

The jump's just a mechanic. Like those mechanics. You can like or not, but suggesting that this is anything but Larian taking inspiration for BG1 and 2 is disingenuous.

We should also never confuse BG for a faithful interpretation of D&D. Ever. For example, Elves can be brought back by raise dead in BG1 and 2. The monk, barbarian sorceror and HLAs were grafted onto the series.

Also, I think it's pretty obvious Bioware or whoever would have been upping interactivity if the series had continued. There were alot more interactive parts of the game in ToB and IWD. Obviously the next step would have been adding things like moving barrels instead of just being able to open them.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited February 2020
    The use of environmental, elemental, weather and objects in combat in D:OS is pretty much revolutionary as far as CRPGs go. It's the kind of thing you could previously only achieve in tabletop sessions. The world itself is designed to be manipulated in creative ways.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited February 2020
    Isewein wrote: »
    The character looks light skinned and ghoulish because he is a vampire.

I felt that way about more than one character. And I'm pretty sure based on their other games that they'll all look that way. That's their style for light skin.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Pretty much. From TB combat, to companion origin stories as prologue, to environmental interactions, to fully voiced dialogues, to a max party size of 4, and even the way visuals are presented to the player: it is by all accounts Divinity: Original Sin 3 set in the Forgotten Realms.
    This exactly. I had resolved to myself that as much as I consider TB combat to horrible garbage if everything else about this game was awesome and only the TB combat was a strike against it I would give it a shot. But now I see that literally everything about the game is crap for me. I'll add to the above list the cartoony horrible D:OS look of the graphics, the weak character creation freedom, the lame companions that you cannot fully shape to your liking, and the very silly dialog system (which far from being a "cool" reflection of TT gaming is instead a lame attempt to create a TT simulator rather than a videogame).
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited February 2020
    deltago wrote: »

The game play reminded me of Temple of Elemental Evil and maybe resurrecting that name (although that has it's problems as well since it campaign setting was Greyhawk) would have been more appropriate and fitting. Wizard of the Coast made a mistake naming the game Baldur's Gate IMO.

It may have been more fitting, but ToEE had so many issues it took an underground community to keep it going. Greyhawk isn't the only thing problematic with that statement. It has a small following, it left a bad taste in many player's mouths, and those who would be interested in it would be expecting the game to be Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil. I have my doubts Larian would want to be tied down that much by source material since they've done whatever they pleased with Baldur's Gate, something they could get away with easier. With Baldur's Gate they can have their cake (nostalgia) and eat it too (artistic freedom). Purists just end up by the wayside, but they don't need the purists to make a successfully selling game when there's enough people who don't care or like other Larian games. They can even get away with the audacious statement that this is the first return to Baldur's Gate in 20 years smh.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    @jjstraka34 "3.) Larian earned the right to make this game by winning the recent "battle" of retro RPGs. Their Divinity: Orginal Sin games were more successful and flat-out better than Obsidian's and inExile's."

I'll accept "more successful" but they were NOT "better". The PoE series and Tyranny were some of the best RPGS I've ever played. And I've played a LOT of RPGS.

I guess I understand why people feel that way, ... Baldur's Gate was a city in the first game. But it's more than that. Baldur's Gate the title is itself monolithic. It transcends what originally was. It SOUNDS important, foreboding, mysterious. Many people who play the new game will have no idea what Baldur's Gate actually is in the realm of Faerun. It's a stamp that says "this is our heavyweight D&D title".

@jjstraka34 , you've touched here on something that's been bothering me a little. Over on the Reddit, for months before this preview came out, there's been a constant barrage of topics that ask basically, "I'm hyped for Baldur's Gate 3, so should I play (or they make a statement that 'I want to play...') Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 to get ready?"

I've never answered one of those topics, because they make me roll my eyes, and they cause a little bile to rise in my throat. That emotional reaction of mine is enough to tell me that I have nothing productive or helpful that I could say to those people, and I would be likely to lose my cool and toss my cookies if I tried. So I bite my tongue and stay silent.

What I really am tempted to say with some emotion is that "NO, you have no need to play the original Baldur's Gate series if what you're really interested in is the so-called "Baldur's Gate 3", (and it gives me a gut-level negative emotional reaction to call it that), because this new game has NOTHING to do with the original that so many older people love."

Grrr. "Okay, millenials."
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited February 2020
    i can already see bg 3 having the exact same issues people have with dos 2 [ and yes despite it selling well people do have issues with it."

and thats writing and tone issues.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I might have said this before at some point, I probably have, I forget...

But after watching Sven demo BG3 I realized that I’m actually very pleased that the game is turn based. Why? Because my style of gameplay with BG 1 & 2 is to pause and micromanage the sh*t out of combat! I actually need a game that manages this tendency of mine in an arguably better anyway.

I didn’t really get into D:OS (2) because it just didn’t grab me the same as the BG series did in terms of setting, ambience, and characters. But I actually did enjoy the gameplay quite a lot. So now that is melded with the BG mythos. And it looks like story and range of role playing choices promises to be excellent in BG3.

I’m really looking forward to this game.
    @jjstraka34 "And I still think Pillars was more of a direct appeal to nostalgia than this, even with the name involved."

PoE actually carried the spirit of the games it was paying homage to though. It makes sense that it appealed to nostalgia, since its look and feel was VERY BG. PoE1 has a better claim to "BG3" than anything ever made by Larian.

yeah despite my issues with pillars writing wise it does contain alot of he spirit of bg.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited February 2020
    Uhm, to be fair the name Baldur´s gate is the name of a city in a setting of the game D&D created by Wizards of the Coast, a tabletop game created in 1974, with 40 years of story, not only the name of two games.

And they let Larian get the license to create a game after refusing several game studios all over the years, so they have all the right to call the game Baldur´s Gate 3 or whatever they want.

Sven Vincke, Mike Myers and Adam Smith were really forthright since the first interview, months ago, stating that they want to make a D&D5e game, using an improved version of the game engine of DOS; not based in the first games. Sven didn´t even know the endings of the first game when they asked him in an interview; so I wasn´t surprised about the gameplay. What I found puzzling is that so many people are flabbergasted about the fact that they are not going to use the story nor the mechanics of the (incredible) first games.
    It was never meant to be. They told us that from the start.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Just saw the PAX gameplay stuff. I haven't really paid any attention to speculation or wild theories before, but it does seem to confirm a lot of it.

So Baldur's Sin 3 huh. I actually think it looks like it'll be fun but they could just as easily have made Original Sin 3 where they can do anything they like with the systems and lore and... well everything, since they own that IP. I'm disappointed it's TB rather than RTwP. Not a fan of the 4 man party thing either, that just reeks "we want to put this on console" which, for some reason, is still stuck in "4 players are the max ever" mentality.

Yay for what will probably be another great CRPG, boo for not getting separate D:OS3 and BG3s.
    i would not say the 4 party size is a console thing. thats been the default size in larian's games since dos 1.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    megamike15 wrote: »
    i would not say the 4 party size is a console thing. thats been the default size in larian's games since dos 1.
    True, and neither of those games were made for console in the first place either. I'm being cynical about it, I can admit that, but if they wanted it to be Baldur's Gatey, they would've gone for 6 character party instead of relying on what they know; which is 4 that their engine supports and will be easy to adapt for consoles' odd limitation.