Skip to content

Baldur's Gate 3: Worldwide Reveal (actual gameplay)

124»

Comments

• ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Watched a few bits of video. Combat looks great. If not for generic Dragon Age-like visuals, I might almost be tempted to buy it.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    scriver wrote: »
    megamike15 wrote: »
    Enilwyn wrote: »
    DinoDin wrote: »

Err... plenty of RPG's use pregenerated protagonists.

kind of funny someone would bring this up bc BG had pre-gen characters.

people's issues are not about pre generated party members that is a givien. it's the fact you miss out on a ton of content if you don't use one of the premade charnames if you make your own.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/baldurs-gate-3-will-fix-one-of-divinity-2s-biggest-flaws-3985098

Your claim doesnt appear to be backed up based on what we know. There's no way to know for certain if the exact same amount of content with be available, but it looks like they want it to be roughly equivalent.

This was found in this thread, just 1 page ago.

Words are wind, my friend, they blow just as easily through the lungs as from the arse

Okay.

I prefer my information to be sourced by interviews and gameplay rather than conjecture - but you do you.

And if your information actually had any basis beyond hearsay, for example any kind of actual examples from the game, I'd grant you that snooty attitude. But as it is all you're doing is taking the words of a salesman, in full hype-mode, from a business field where outright lying to your customers is standard, as trustworthy. And there's absolutely no reason to assume they are.

Hmm... so I'm going to disagree here. Larian has shown they're a pretty darn honest company so far. Maybe you don't like the direction they've gone in BG3, but that's not the same thing. I can't think of another game company that would do a non-scripted Let's Play of their highly anticipated title as the gameplay reveal. That's a high level of transparency.
    BallpointMan
  • YamchaYamcha Member Posts: 486
    deltago wrote: »
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Four party members makes a lot more sense for TB combat, so even though I actually think six is the sweet spot for D&D CRPG's, it's probably wise to limit that number. TB combat, especially the XCOM style, with a large party would just get tedious.

One big strength of RTwP, imho, is that its combat system can support a much wider range of encounters while still being fun. Want to have the player slay a series of trash mob fights in the opening? RT works great because veteran players can cruise through that content without even pausing. Want to have enormous army style battles like what you get in ToB or SoD? Again, RT is so much better at making this fun. It's a more flexible system. It's also a combat system that's *unique* to video games.

A 4-man party is also the "classic" and recommended party size for D&D. The archetypal D&D party consists of four players, a Warrior, a Mage, a Priest and a Rogue, who between them cover all the essential roles a party needs. However, I agree that for CRPGs, having a larger party size works better because it opens up greater options in both combat, and for inter-party banter/dynamics. It's much easier to justify bringing jack-of-all-trades-style characters like Bards in a larger party, where their unique abilities amplify both combat and roleplaying.

I agree that a four man party is the classic setup. And it kind of has an imbalance because of that. There is basically one party composition that's ideal for most playthroughs of most modules and video games. What I like about six, going all the way back to Pool of Radiance, is that it gives you room to customize, without ever clearly establishing what's objectively the best composition for six.

This.

If I need a thief, warrior, mage and cleric in my party, and I want to play a cleric, I am forced to leave the cleric NPC at camp even if I enjoy it's character and banter more than any other character in the game.

Or I am forced to optimize over role play, and with limited NPCs to choose from (atm 5), if you don't like the warrior or rogue the game provides you are stuck with a less enjoyable playthrough, or forced to play something as your main that you do not want to play to fill the hole.
    They fixed that in dos2 quiet nicely. Every npc could be recruited in his default class or any other combination the game offered.
    Not clear yet how they proceed with bg3 in that regard though.

I really like what I was seeing so far, especially the added freedom and physics of the world. Baldurs Gate was pretty static.
    My biggest gripes with dos2 were the gimmicky magic system and the random Diablo style items. Both replaced by the nice rules of d&d

DinoDin
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited March 2020

people's issues are not about pre generated party members that is a givien. it's the fact you miss out on a ton of content if you don't use one of the premade charnames if you make your own.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/news/baldurs-gate-3-will-fix-one-of-divinity-2s-biggest-flaws-3985098

Your claim doesnt appear to be backed up based on what we know. There's no way to know for certain if the exact same amount of content with be available, but it looks like they want it to be roughly equivalent.

Words are wind, my friend, they blow just as easily through the lungs as from the arse

Okay.

I prefer my information to be sourced by interviews and gameplay rather than conjecture - but you do you.

And if your information actually had any basis beyond hearsay, for example any kind of actual examples from the game, I'd grant you that snooty attitude. But as it is all you're doing is taking the words of a salesman, in full hype-mode, from a business field where outright lying to your customers is standard, as trustworthy. And there's absolutely no reason to assume they are.

Haha. You told me words are wind and handwaved an evidenced argument. Dont be upset if I dont put stock in it.

In the absence of literally any other evidence, there's no reason to believe they'd be lying to us either. They're the only ones who know. Furthermore, they control the flow of information - they could have said anything that they'd like (including nothing at all). They released information, and it is all we have to go on

/shrug.

Now - if you'd like to provide evidence that either the developer in question is a known liar, or that Larian frequently lies about its products in interviews: Please. Do go ahead - I'd like to see it. If not, then I cannot see a logical reason to reject the evidence without anything else to support that position.
    Skatan
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    Yamcha wrote: »
    Four party members makes a lot more sense for TB combat, so even though I actually think six is the sweet spot for D&D CRPG's, it's probably wise to limit that number. TB combat, especially the XCOM style, with a large party would just get tedious.

One big strength of RTwP, imho, is that its combat system can support a much wider range of encounters while still being fun. Want to have the player slay a series of trash mob fights in the opening? RT works great because veteran players can cruise through that content without even pausing. Want to have enormous army style battles like what you get in ToB or SoD? Again, RT is so much better at making this fun. It's a more flexible system. It's also a combat system that's *unique* to video games.

A 4-man party is also the "classic" and recommended party size for D&D. The archetypal D&D party consists of four players, a Warrior, a Mage, a Priest and a Rogue, who between them cover all the essential roles a party needs. However, I agree that for CRPGs, having a larger party size works better because it opens up greater options in both combat, and for inter-party banter/dynamics. It's much easier to justify bringing jack-of-all-trades-style characters like Bards in a larger party, where their unique abilities amplify both combat and roleplaying.

I agree that a four man party is the classic setup. And it kind of has an imbalance because of that. There is basically one party composition that's ideal for most playthroughs of most modules and video games. What I like about six, going all the way back to Pool of Radiance, is that it gives you room to customize, without ever clearly establishing what's objectively the best composition for six.

This.

If I need a thief, warrior, mage and cleric in my party, and I want to play a cleric, I am forced to leave the cleric NPC at camp even if I enjoy it's character and banter more than any other character in the game.

Or I am forced to optimize over role play, and with limited NPCs to choose from (atm 5), if you don't like the warrior or rogue the game provides you are stuck with a less enjoyable playthrough, or forced to play something as your main that you do not want to play to fill the hole.
    They fixed that in dos2 quiet nicely. Every npc could be recruited in his default class or any other combination the game offered.

I really like what I was seeing so far, especially the added freedom and physics of the world. Baldurs Gate was pretty static.
    My biggest gripes with dos2 were the gimmicky magic system and the random Diablo style items. Both replaced by the nice rules of d&d

That fix would be worse than the problem it solves in DnD. There needs to be a link between personality, stats and class. Would Minsc work as a thief or Edwin as a Paladin?

For magic items and magic I will withhold my judgement until I see what they do with it. Gimmicky environmental stuff is very much what they are known for and you could already see a bit of that with the rule breaking OP magehand and the dipped in flame bow. For magic items much depends on how much they place and how much character they have while not being overpowered. BG was exceptional even compared to other D&D CRPGs.
    ThacoBellYamcha
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,567
    Ammar wrote: »
    Yamcha wrote: »

This.

That fix would be worse than the problem it solves in DnD. There needs to be a link between personality, stats and class. Would Minsc work as a thief or Edwin as a Paladin?

For magic items and magic I will withhold my judgement until I see what they do with it. Gimmicky environmental stuff is very much what they are known for and you could already see a bit of that with the rule breaking OP magehand and the dipped in flame bow. For magic items much depends on how much they place and how much character they have while not being overpowered. BG was exceptional even compared to other D&D CRPGs.

I see no reason to worry about this. One of the NPC's is a "dark cleric" and that's part of her backstory apparently as well. It seems the classes for the NPC's are set. They could be more free with those things in OS because it wasn't actually a class based system.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Okay.

Haha. You told me words are wind and handwaved an evidenced argument. Dont be upset if I dont put stock in it.

In the absence of literally any other evidence, there's no reason to believe they'd be lying to us either. They're the only ones who know. Furthermore, they control the flow of information - they could have said anything that they'd like (including nothing at all). They released information, and it is all we have to go on

/shrug.

Now - if you'd like to provide evidence that either the developer in question is a known liar, or that Larian frequently lies about its products in interviews: Please. Do go ahead - I'd like to see it. If not, then I cannot see a logical reason to reject the evidence without anything else to support that position.

That's the point. What you call "evidence" isn't evidence. It's just talk. There's no actuality to it. It's based on nothing. It's a man pressing air through his throat, and people like you who fall all over themselves in eagerness to believe anything that's said.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Let's stop at that, please. Try not to follow up on a personal comment with a personal comment. Take a break, get a deep breath.
    SilverstarZaxaresbyrne20
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I wonder if BG3 could eventually be modded to make it real-time-with-pause... I'm fine with turn based myself, but why not have our cake and eat it too.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Lemernis wrote: »
    I wonder if BG3 could eventually be modded to make it real-time-with-pause... I'm fine with turn based myself, but why not have our cake and eat it too.
    Last time I checked D:OS2 had a mod author who worked on a real-time RTS custom campaign. Said mod (Divinity: Into The Abyss) has been on hold since 2018 though. And it doesn't look like the author still works on his pet project.

I'd say the likelyhood of Larian including an optional RTwP mode is at this point higher than seeing a community mod for BG3.
    Enilwyn
  • EnilwynEnilwyn Member Posts: 140
    edited March 2020

I'd say the likelihood of Larian including an optional RTwP mode is at this point higher than seeing a community mod for BG3.

The CRPG community is surprisingly even on TB vs. RTwP. There was a recent poll, I think with PC Mag where TB was ahead by a handful of %.

Larian is 100% going to make what we saw in the demo. That's the core gameplay. They know the return they get from established fans and new-comers looking to try it out should put them in a good place financially. If it makes sense and doesn't murder the staff/accountants they will likely put a RTwP in at some point.

Then again, they could be so busy churning games out that RTwP won't ever be seriously considered. So I'd bet on what we know now. Swen mentioned Larian have 5 or 6 games in development. I think once they get the template down that BG3 will establish we're going to see a COD-like yearly release, maybe even twice a year release of DnD campaigns.

I know the originals have mods, but if some dev just wanted to put out new stories from BG2 until now with the same engine (hopefully with some QoL improvements) I would have bought them all. It just seems like a slam dunk from a business perspective. They just need to keep the quality up or better than the PnP campaigns.