Skip to content

Making Illithid intelligence drain make sense.

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
For a long time I have wanted to mod the illithids that appear in the BG games so that they do not drain intelligence from mindless/brainless creatures. I recently figured out a very simple way to make this happen and plan to start work on it soon. The problem is, I am not exactly sure what should be immune to the intelligence drain inflicted by their melee attacks. I know for sure things like undead, golems and other non living creatures should be immune, but it gets more tricky when it comes to things like elemental creatures, or even things with very different nervous systems (such as insects, spiders, or other invertebrates). I already have a good idea on what I think should be the correct thing to do, but I figured I would ask the community about it anyway, since someone may know more than me. Besides that, it may just be a fun topic to discuss!

Keep in mind that we are talking about the intelligence drain of the illithid's melee attack. I have no interest in altering their mind blast special ability at all. Also keep in mind that, even if I make a creature immune to the intelligence drain effect, the illithids will still be able to do normal physical damage with their weapons to that creature. I will try to make poll options as inclusive as possible, but there are limits to what I can do with the forum software.

Definitions I will use for this poll:

Mindless/Nonliving creatures: Undead, Golems, Dancing Swords, etc.
Brainless creatures: Creatures that have minds but not brains, such as Elementals, Slimes, Shambling Mounds, etc.
Invertebrate/Unusual creatures: Insects, Spiders, Otyugh, Mimics, Myconids, etc.
Large creatures: Creatures so large that an illithid may have a difficult time reaching their brain, such as Dragons, Giants, Etc.

The mod is now available here!
  1. Making Illithid intelligence drain make sense.19 votes
    1. Make Only Mindless/Nonliving creatures immune.
        5.26%
    2. Make Mindless/Nonliving and Brainless creatures immune.
      31.58%
    3. Make Mindless/Nonliving, Brainless, and Invertebrate/Unusual creatures immune.
        5.26%
    4. Make Mindless/Nonliving, Brainless, and Large creatures immune.
      15.79%
    5. Make Mindless/Nonliving, Brainless, Invertebrate/Unusual, and Large creatures immune.
      21.05%
    6. None of the above/Some other option.
      21.05%
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Make Brainless, Incorporeal/Elemental and Minsc creatures immune.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    kjeron wrote: »
    Make Large Creature's immune unless they are helpless (stun/sleep/hold/etc...).

@kjeron I thought of that too, but I have no idea how to implement this. Would you know a way? My plan was just to put a bunch of "Immunity to spell and message (324)" opcodes on the mindflay.itm weapon for each race/general I wanted to exclude from the effects.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,320
    I'm not sure what would be appropriate, so haven't voted. I think any view of what should be affected depends a lot on what you think the nature of the attack is though. It seems to me that it must have a magical component to it, rather than being purely physical (and the game of course does treat it as a magical attack, which is prevented by PfMW). It thus need not be stymied by the absence of a brain. In that case, things like undead or golems (which have intelligence, even if they don't have a physical brain) could reasonably be argued to be a legitimate target for the attack.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited March 2020
    Add SPLPROT rows:
    rowA#	273	0x20	8
    rowB#	260	14	rowA#

Size <= 3 already exists (row 14).
    Use rowB#:
    NOT ( (Size <= 3) OR (BIT MATCH STATE_HELPLESS) )
    ==
    Size > 3 AND NOT STATE_HELPLESS

Or, if you don't want to add new splprot entries:
    op318: param1=0x20, param2=138, resource=(new resource)
    op177: param1=0, param2=2, resource=(new resource)
    (new resource) EFF: op324: param2=13, resource="MINDFLAY", parent_resource=(new resource)

op318 blocks the EFF(new resource) if the target is helpless.
    op177->324 blocks the effects of MINDFLAY if the target is large.
    (new resource) cannot be MINDFLAY and should be unique.
    You won't get the "Unaffected by effects of (source)" feedback though, unless you also create a ITM or SPL file (new resource) and give it a name. This ITM/SPL file would only exist to give the feedback string a "name" for the (source), it can otherwise be empty.

The MINDLFAY item's current name is just "Attack", so it may be better to use op318 in place of op324 and omit the feedback.

@Grond0 PfMW blocks magical weapons, not magical attacks. It's "magical" status is no different from a "Weapon +1". The effect is entirely non-magical - it is neither resist-able or dispel-able. The source of it's implementation is that once an illithid grabs a creature with all 4 tentacles, it rips their head open to eat their brain, killing them.
    @Grond0 PfMW blocks magical weapons, not magical attacks. It's "magical" status is no different from a "Weapon +1". The effect is entirely non-magical - it is neither resist-able or dispel-able. The source of it's implementation is that once an illithid grabs a creature with all 4 tentacles, it rips their head open to eat their brain, killing them.

As I said I don't have a clear view on it. However, the implementation of the intelligence drain in Baldur's Gate isn't really an accurate reflection of 2nd edition lore. That required the illithid to either incapacitate a victim (through its mind blast attack) or by hitting in melee combat with all 4 tentacles - once that was done the brain could be quickly sucked out, though a single tentacle on its own hitting in melee combat would not be able to damage the brain.

If the intention were to model that type of attack I would agree that it would be reasonable to treat that as purely physical. Personally I would class intelligence drain as being the result of a magical rather than physical attack though (no physical damage, temporary effect, can be countered by magical means such as potions of genius). What I think is irrelevant though of course ...
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    Technically it's psionics. Lacking rules for such, it is treated as magical. This weakens psionic abilities(treating them as magic)because ordinarily magic cannot effect psionics. It cannot detect, dispel, or alter psionic affects at all. Psionicists are extremely OP, but using psionics draws unwanted attention from extremely powerful beings.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    All that other stuff doesn't matter in my opinion. They drain your intelligence psionically. They're not literally eating any particular organ, at least, not mid combat, not until after they've killed you. It shouldn't matter if they have a brain organ as we'd typically imagine it on the Prime Material Plane, or a nervous system as we classically understand it, or what have you.

It's your mod and you're free to do whatever of course. Lord knows I wouldn't know how to do any of this, but that's my stance on how the official lore should be interpreted at least.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    The source of it's implementation is that once an illithid grabs a creature with all 4 tentacles, it rips their head open to eat their brain, killing them.
    if that would happen then every int drain should bring an instant kill, i doubt a creature with a brain can survive it.
    and any way the damage and int drain should be permanent, at least until healed, as brains don't regrow in few turns.
    as it seems that all the creatures, even golems, skeletons and other undeads, have some sort of intelligence, maybe based on an other physical substrate then a brain, i see the flyer attack as a direct drain of the intelligence, not necessarily a physical action on a brain or an other physical substrate.
    just as the physical attacks with some weapons bring an elemental effect, without implying that that weapon is actually burning or very hot, you can carry the mace of detonation in your backpack without having it burning, i see the flyer attack bringing the drain directly to the intelligence, not to the physical organ that is the origin of that intelligence.

and this is only my very personal interpretation of the flyer's int drain, an interpretation that blocks the abuse of some summons that, if immune to the drain, would make the fights against flyers too easy. it is true that their attack does also some physical damage, but not much, not enough for the powerful beings that they are supposed to be.
    almost immune summons would become a second shield of balduran, a second way to make the encounters with some of the most dangerous creatures too easy. imo the shield is enough in the game, even if i never use it i don't want to have it removed, as it is optional to use it, and i suggest to the not novice players to don't use it, while for the novices can be a life saver.
    using a mod that makes some summons immune to the drain would compel me to not use those summons at all.

gorgonzola wrote: »
    The source of it's implementation is that once an illithid grabs a creature with all 4 tentacles, it rips their head open to eat their brain, killing them.
    if that would happen then every int drain should bring an instant kill, i doubt a creature with a brain can survive it.
    and any way the damage and int drain should be permanent, at least until healed, as brains don't regrow in few turns.
    as it seems that all the creatures, even golems, skeletons and other undeads, have some sort of intelligence, maybe based on an other physical substrate then a brain, i see the flyer attack as a direct drain of the intelligence, not necessarily a physical action on a brain or an other physical substrate.
    just as the physical attacks with some weapons bring an elemental effect, without implying that that weapon is actually burning or very hot, you can carry the mace of detonation in your backpack without having it burning, i see the flyer attack bringing the drain directly to the intelligence, not to the physical organ that is the origin of that intelligence.

and this is only my very personal interpretation of the flyer's int drain, an interpretation that blocks the abuse of some summons that, if immune to the drain, would make the fights against flyers too easy. it is true that their attack does also some physical damage, but not much, not enough for the powerful beings that they are supposed to be.
    almost immune summons would become a second shield of balduran, a second way to make the encounters with some of the most dangerous creatures too easy. imo the shield is enough in the game, even if i never use it i don't want to have it removed, as it is optional to use it, and i suggest to the not novice players to don't use it, while for the novices can be a life saver.
    using a mod that makes some summons immune to the drain would compel me to not use those summons at all.

Yeah, illithids do eat brains, but when they do I don't think that's something you shake off in a couple hours. Even the mightiest barbarian warrior is gonna need more than a nap to recover after you remove his cerebral cortex with an ice cream scooper.

You fight lots of stuff that eats you or parts of you in one way or another in the trilogy, but for the most part it's assumed the feast begins after you're dead. You're not halfway through fighting that wolf and he's already digesting your liver or anything.

When they use their psionic abilities to drain your intelligence, I'm pretty sure that's no different from like the Ray of Enfeeblement reducing your strength through arcane means. It's just some magic nonsense sapping your abilities, but they've coloured up the lore with mental powers instead of like The Weave and such.

If the creature is mindless and thus has no intelligence score, then you shouldn't be able to drain its intelligence, in the same way that you shouldn't be able to cast Ray of Enfeeblement on a bar stool, but outside of that you're good.
    edited March 2020
    Chronicler wrote: »

If the creature is mindless and thus has no intelligence score, then you shouldn't be able to drain its intelligence, in the same way that you shouldn't be able to cast Ray of Enfeeblement on a bar stool, but outside of that you're good.
    i agree, but i would say that no creature is completely mindless in the game.
    even a golem, it is not a robot controlled at distance by the mage that create him, the sewer golem in chateau irenicus is a prove, he is not enough intelligent to be aware that you, and not irenicus, are the one that gives him the activation stone, but if he would have been mindless and controlled at distance you could never foul him.
    and skeletons, even if you kill the mage that summon it the skeleton continues to fight and to react to the environment. they maybe have a rotten brain, or no brain at all, but they surely have some form of mind and of intelligence.
    what about other undeads, hexxat is a prove that they have a mind, are intelligent beings, with their own agendas.
    almost every creature in the game acts as if it has some kind of mind and a certain degree of intelligence, possibly the only exceptions are the slimes that seem to react to the environment more in the way an amoeba does.

Chronicler wrote: »

i agree, but i would say that no creature is completely mindless in the game.
    even a golem, it is not a robot controlled at distance by the mage that create him, the sewer golem in chateau irenicus is a prove, he is not enough intelligent to be aware that you, and not irenicus, are the one that gives him the activation stone, but if he would have been mindless and controlled at distance you could never foul him.
    and skeletons, even if you kill the mage that summon it the skeleton continues to fight and to react to the environment. they maybe have a rotten brain, or no brain at all, but they surely have some form of mind and of intelligence.
    what about other undeads, hexxat is a prove that they have a mind, are intelligent beings, with their own agendas.
    almost every creature in the game acts as if it has some kind of mind and a certain degree of intelligence, possibly the only exceptions are the slimes that seem to react to the environment more in the way an amoeba does.

I think the idea with the golems and the like is that they're like a computer. A set of commands complex enough that they can operate independently to a certain extent, but it's just all algorithms all the way down. There's nothing in there that could truly be considered a mind.

Vampires and liches and such are definitely thinking being. "Undead" is a pretty broad category. But some of it I'm pretty sure is supposed to be mindless.
    No no no!!! Lesser undead are mindless, driven by the negative energy plane. The malevolence of that plane drives them eternally. This malevolent drive gives the impression of will and therefore is assumed to be intelligent. It is not. Greater undead, however, are strong enough to possess their own will apart from but tied to the negative plane. A raised skeleton may still have a brain physically, but it is in no way involved with their current state. Also, they smell bad.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I voted for All of the Above, although I'm operating under the assumption that the illithid's Intelligence Drain attack is the result of the illithid literally consuming the brain of the creature it's attacking. As such, it should be obvious why undead/unliving creatures are immune to brain munchies, as well as creatures such as elementals, oozes, plants and other creatures that can think, but do not possess an actual brain to speak of. (One could argue that insects and vermin possess close analogues to brains that could be consumed, and I'd be willing to allow that as a DM, although an illithid would gain neither nourishment nor satisfaction from consuming the "brains" of such dim-witted creatures and consequently do not bother, preferring to rely on their dominated thralls to deal with such creatures.)

I also voted for giant-size creatures to be immune for two reasons; the first is that the illithid probably would have trouble physically reaching the creature's head unless it can fly, and second is that depending on the creature in question, the skull might be SO large that even if the illithid can reach the creature's head, it physically still can't REACH the brain inside with its tentacles. These difficulties could be overcome given time and opportunity, but neither is likely to be present within a combat setting.
    I'll need to reference my library(it's in storage atm, don't ask) but I'm sure the mind flayer entry describes the intelligence drain as "considered" to be psionic. Inferring that is neither magical nor psionic.
    shabadoo wrote: »
    I'll need to reference my library(it's in storage atm, don't ask) but I'm sure the mind flayer entry describes the intelligence drain as "considered" to be psionic. Inferring that is neither magical nor psionic.

If you're talking about the Monster Manual, there is no reference to intelligence drain (as far as I know there is no reference to that anywhere in 2nd edition D&D). The entry says most mind flayers use magical powers, but refers to a sub-group that produce similar effects (like domination) using psionics.
    shabadoo wrote: »

Usually when they say something is "considered" to have a trait, they mean it operates as if it has that trait within some limited capacity.

Like when they say something is "considered" a +4 weapon, they mean it can hit opponents that can only be hit by +4 weapons, even if it doesn't have the combat bonuses typically associated with a +4 weapon.

I'd have to see the quote in full context, but it seems very possible to me that if its intelligence drain is considered psionic, that means it's effective against opponents that psionic abilities work on, maybe can be protected against by things that protect against psionic abilities, or something to that general effect.
    @Grond0; It may have been in a supplement, I intentionally avoided referencing a specific source, but that is the one I was thinking of.
    @Chronicler; yes...that's why I concluded that it is actually neither. It wouldn't be "considered" a thing it would just be that thing. That's why I added the quotations. But otherwise it certainly indicates that psionic protections are effective while magical one's are ineffective or have lessened effect.
    edited March 2020
    Make Mindless/Nonliving and Brainless creatures immune.
    Make Large Creature's immune unless they are helpless (stun/sleep/hold/etc...).

I think I am going to try doing things this way for my mod. This is an interesting debate, however, so keep it going! I may even make several versions of my mod for people with different tastes.

I have some things to add now.

About how this will change the challenge of the game: This is certainly true, but I hope this will change things for the better. Also, this sword definitely cuts both ways, seeing as the player can eventually shapeshift into an illithid and use the weapon themselves. I am, naturally, restricting the shapeshift version of the weapon in the same way as I am for the one the real illithids use.

About the psionics vs. physical trauma debate: I am mostly siding with the physical trauma people here. The game log itself says "Devour Brain" when an illithid hits a target. It doesn't say "Devour Psyche" or anything like that... BG is, and always was, a rough adaptation of 'true' AD&D rules, and not a direct implementation. This was likely the developer's way of adapting the fearsome talents of the illithid into a workable game mechanic. I know it makes no sense practically that they are snacking in mid fight, and especially that brain trauma wears off in a mere 5 rounds, but that is just how things were adapted for the game...

The mod is going to be ready soon. I just have to package it and upload it. I will link it here when I do. I will still be open to suggestions for improvement after doing this, however.
    Tresset wrote: »

About how this will change the challenge of the game: This is certainly true, but I hope this will change things for the better.
    as i have already wrote 5 minutes ago in the thread dedicated to your mod, and as i have already told here
    an interpretation that blocks the abuse of some summons that, if immune to the drain, would make the fights against flyers too easy. it is true that their attack does also some physical damage, but not much, not enough for the powerful beings that they are supposed to be.
    i believe that the things will be changed in a too better (for the party) way.
    what about a jaheira transformed into a fire elemental or an aerie transformed into a slime, while protected by stoneskin + contingency with stoneskin at 50% health while 2 fireshields and blade barer are also active?

it is true that with that component a very high level mage transformed into a flyer can no more kill a dragon or an iron golem by int draining, but a mage of such levels has not any problem against them anyway.
    RoV + AoP then improved alacrity and he can turn every magic resistance to 0 and kill with a barrage of low level spells really fast, usually before the golem or dragon can even start to react.

is not the offensive part of the int draining that really affects the balance of the game, is the defensive one, in a game that allow to anyone to turn into a slime with the cloak of the sewers, that allows to mages and druids to become immune at will with their spells, if a mage can no more turn himself into a flyer to kill dragons now he can turn himself into an iron golem and tank the flyers forever.

and those are only my 2 cents about the balance issues that this component brings, if there is a RP logic behind it is a completely different matter. The rp reasons brought here are certainly sound.

About how this will change the challenge of the game: This is certainly true, but I hope this will change things for the better.
    as i have already wrote 5 minutes ago in the thread dedicated to your mod, and as i have already told here
    an interpretation that blocks the abuse of some summons that, if immune to the drain, would make the fights against flyers too easy. it is true that their attack does also some physical damage, but not much, not enough for the powerful beings that they are supposed to be.
    i believe that the things will be changed in a too better (for the party) way.
    what about a jaheira transformed into a fire elemental or an aerie transformed into a slime, while protected by stoneskin + contingency with stoneskin at 50% health while 2 fireshields and blade barer are also active?

it is true that with that component a very high level mage transformed into a flyer can no more kill a dragon or an iron golem by int draining, but a mage of such levels has not any problem against them anyway.
    RoV + AoP then improved alacrity and he can turn every magic resistance to 0 and kill with a barrage of low level spells really fast, usually before the golem or dragon can even start to react.

is not the offensive part of the int draining that really affects the balance of the game, is the defensive one, in a game that allow to anyone to turn into a slime with the cloak of the sewers, that allows to mages and druids to become immune at will with their spells, if a mage can no more turn himself into a flyer to kill dragons now he can turn himself into an iron golem and tank the flyers forever.

and those are only my 2 cents about the balance issues that this component brings, if there is a RP logic behind it is a completely different matter. The rp reasons brought here are certainly sound.

I don't think the problems inherent in the very idea of the mod are really relevant here.

If people don't want the mod, they just won't install it.

Like if you have some idea of how you could implement what the modder is going for here without running into those problems then that would be another matter, but your stance seems to be that this is just a fundamentally bad idea for a mod that shouldn't get made.
    edited March 2020
    @gorgonzola
    Polymorph/Shapeshift/Shapechange do not alter the GENERAL/RACE of the creature, so they will not become immune based on such. It's always been the burden of such abilities to provide any immunities the new form should grant (some do, some don't).

It does alter the creature's circle size though, so they could become immune based on that.
    Post edited by kjeron on
    edited March 2020
    Well, the option of using my mod or not is always up to the individual player... I offer this as a solution for those of us who think it is absolutely stupid and senseless for illithids to be draining the intelligence of something like a skeleton or golem. I totally get that this mod makes illithids far less challenging, and that some may not like that.

Vampires have a similar thing to illithids actually. They have a NASTY attack that can cause death very quickly, and it is hard to protect against. The difference is that there actually ARE a few protections against vampires, unlike illithids. In the base game (especially the vanilla base game) illithids could kill pretty much ANYTHING that existed, even plot characters that were never meant to be killed! That is a bit silly if you ask me.
    edited March 2020
    @Chronicler no, my stance is that this component of the mod, that a player is free to install or not according to his personal taste, unbalances the game making the fighting against the flyers much easier.
    i commented about the OP telling " I hope this will change things for the better" because before no one but me talked about those balance issues as the discussion was more about the game lore, while a component like this has balance issues.
    my stance is not that the component is a bad idea, as good or bad depends completely on the player's taste, and i believe in the freedom of each player to play as he likes and have fun.
    my purpose posting is only to point out the balance issues that using this component brings, how if it don't allows any more to use the shapeshifted flyer form to kill with int draining some creatures it allows many defensive options against the enemy flyers, both using summons to tank and poly morphing or shape shifting party members.
    the example with aerie is probably the most effective one. have aerie aggro the flyers and watch them melt.

then, as long as the players are aware of it, if they decide to use the component for me is perfectly fine.
    i already liked the post where the OP made the announcement of the introduction of the component in his mod, and by the way i was the first to do it.
    i did it as i think that every mod is welcome as it gives to the players more freedom in customizing their game in the way they like it most.

i also think that having this component not affecting the party summons or the npcs poly morphed into immune forms would have no sense at all, it has been created because there are lore reasons for having those creatures immune and being them enemies, party summons or party members does not change anything about their "right to be immune". so i can not suggest any improvement to the component, at least not improvements that don't collide with the component reasons to exist.
    @Grond0
    Polymorph/Shapeshift/Shapechange do not alter the GENERAL/RACE of the creature, so they will not become immune based on such.
    this imo is only a technicality, if a slime is immune as it lacks of a brain in the form the humanoids have, so the flyer can not eat the brain, also an humanoid poly morped into a slime should be immune, as he also temporarily lacks of an humanoid brain.

edited March 2020
    @Grond0
    Polymorph/Shapeshift/Shapechange do not alter the GENERAL/RACE of the creature, so they will not become immune based on such.
    this imo is only a technicality, if a slime is immune as it lacks of a brain in the form the humanoids have, so the flyer can not eat the brain, also an humanoid poly morped into a slime should be immune, as he also temporarily lacks of an humanoid brain.

I agree. This is, however, a bit harder to implement due to the way the infinity engine works. It is a bit beyond the scope of what I had planned for this mod. All I wanted to do was change two or three files, not overhaul the entire game!

(I also feel for @Grond0 who I believe got tagged by accident instead of @gorgonzola, and gets summoned every time we make a quote of that post... ;))
    (I also feel for Grond0 who I believe got tagged by accident instead of gorgonzola, and gets summoned every time we make a quote of that post... ;))
    Yes, apologies to Grond0, I've corrected the post.
    @Tresset glad that you agree and i understand your reasons, if to correctly implement the mod would mean to completely overhaul the game no one can ask you to do it, unless if he is not ready to pay for the time it takes :D.
    at least it grants that the component gives less balance change issues, even if the way the mod is implemented does not match perfectly the reasons why it has been created.