Skip to content

Anomen, ugh, where to start?

Comments

• trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    Hm, although i agree he should revert to worship of some other god (maybe it shouldn't be helm in the first place), but i do not think talos is an ok option.
    although he is very angry at first (his longlife dream fails after all), later he does come to terms with it and decides to enjoy life and "relax". not really a talos mythos.
    I think talos would be great idea if there was an evil path where he becomes determined through further anger vengeance, fueling his destructive streak and finally reveling in destruction and power.

still, in TOB he specifically mentions helm still grants him spells, despite him being chaotic neutral which he continues explaining with him being on the right path anyway. also, CN and LG anomen gets the same epilogue in the end (lazy bioware! :/).

it would be nice to see him question his faith in law as a concept and then finally "give up" on helm, deciding he needs time to recreate his beliefs. i don't know what would happen to his spellbook then. can he believe in an abstract concept for a while? what do rules state on this matter? at least dialogue or two where he reluctantly starts worshiping some other god and later fully accepts him?

it would be great if he could develop differently as a chaotic neutral. i think one mod changes him into berserker.
    Iecerint
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    The character Anomen, to me, is annoying. The character voice is what makes him annoying to me and also his response sounds.

And just the fact that he says, "Point the sword and I shall strike" seems out of character for a Cleric.

Minsc saying "You point, I punch" makes more sense than this. Fits the character and the character voice is fitting.

What if my main character isn't even a sword-wielding character? Would make more sense for him to say, "Where shall I strike?"

My argument here is: terrible lines, crappy character voice.

As I said, I'm embarrassed to play BG2 with Anomen in my party, while I'm in the living room with guests in the house.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Ok, @Boaster you already made your point: you don't like Anomen. We all get it on the frist time, no need to repeat that. The "...point the sword..." line was already resolved, just look for my 2 past posts and the comments it recived.

In fact, myself i never had a problem with Anomen's voice, but this is a too subjective question so would be useless discuss if he has a boring or annoying voice.

I don't hope you change your mind about anomen, neither expect me to change my mind about him, i tried the play with him a reasonable amount of times and i like the character, he really fits well on the game in my opinion.

So unseless you bring new points to we discuss (so we can maybe even suggest some changes for Anomen in this forum), just stop to repeat what you already said in previous posts. As you want to remove Anomen from the game i am strongly against that and want to keep him on the game, two different opinions, each with its merit.

By the way Beamdog can't change the original content so no matter who is right or wrong (if even has someone wrong here) Anomen will stay, after all he's original content of the old game.
    trinitDrugarScooterFFG
    Merely repeated and emphasized in a topic that seemed to get away from its origin.
  • AN_ALPACA_WADAFUKAN_ALPACA_WADAFUK Member Posts: 29
    edited June 2012
    Why the hell are you playing old video games when you have guests in the house? In the living room where everybody can see your shame, none the less?
    lordkimIecerint
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    I like what NPC Kitpack does: if he succeeds, his Kit changes to Helm, if his kit becomes Berserker. Makes failing potentially appealing for actual gameplay purposes instead of just story.
    tena
    Why the hell are you playing old video games when you have guests in the house? In the living room where everybody can see your shame, none the less?
    Why are you in a forum where an OLD game is being refurbished? ::eyebrow::
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    While I can't speak 100% for someone else, I'm fairly certain that you playing an old game wasn't what he criticised you for, Boaster.

However; @AN_ALPACA_WADAFUK, let's not turn this thread into a discussion of someone's personal behaviour. If you feel it's such a bad thing to do you could always sigh and roll your eyes at your computer screen, but there is no point in writing a post about it here.
    ElectricMonkkiai
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,675
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    ScooterDrugarO_Bruce
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    @Bhaaldog: You really are getting into those dark arts, aren't you?
    [Deleted User]Iecerint
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    kamuizin said:

There's a lot of them on BG i don't remember them all

Khalid: "c-c-click on someone your own size"
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    ...i like anomen, he's badass
  • Maelora69Maelora69 Member Posts: 75
    Drugar said:

D&D Nerding Ahoy;
    Helm is LN, so his clerics can only be LG, LN and LE

Pretty sure Helm is one of those exceptions, like Saint Cuthbert, who can't have evil clergy.
  • Maelora69Maelora69 Member Posts: 75
    The worst thing about Anomen was that he's a colossal jackass, and the _only_ romance for a female character. I downloaded the 'romance anyone' mod instead.

So yeah, Anomen literally turned my CHARNAME gay.

(and -disclaimer - before anyone gets offended at that, I'm bisexual...)
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    When I played BG2, I never recruited Anomen. He didn't seem very interesting, so I passed him up (I also passed up Keldorn, mind). I might even have killed him. (I ended up with an astounding team of Edwin, Viconia, Imoen, Haer'Dalis and Mazzy.)

Since I had a female Charname, it was actually years before I discovered BG2 even had romances.
    [Deleted User]
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    I always use Anomen. Absolute beast when dual wielding the Flail of Ages and Defender of Easthaven (with the Mace of Disruption +2, later Runehammer +5, for undead).

As a side note, did there use to be a disagree button on this forum? I'm seeing disagrees on a number of the older posts.
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Maelora69 said:

Drugar said:

D&D Nerding Ahoy;
    Helm is LN, so his clerics can only be LG, LN and LE

Pretty sure Helm is one of those exceptions, like Saint Cuthbert, who can't have evil clergy.
    Afraid not;
    http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Helm
    The Faiths and Pantheons book also states he can have LE clerics. I assume they'll mostly be overzealous inquisitors, going around yelling "Helm sees all! Know that, and be judged!" at everyone who breaks the law, before smacking them on the head with a mace.
  • IecerintIecerint Member Posts: 431
    I've read inconsistent information about whether Helm can have LE clerics.

Either way, he can't have CN clerics.
    [Deleted User]Drugar
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    Bhaaldog said:

Vita, Mortis, Careo...

I read that in the voice... :(
    [Deleted User]mlnevese
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Boaster said:

And finally, one of the things he says is, "Point the sword and I shall strike."

Really? A Got-dang Cleric/Warrior telling someone to point a Sword??? Clerics don't use swords, and probably don't advocate their use. Do they?

The whole blunt weapon thing with clerics is a convention that was made up to limit and differentiate them from Fighters with spells. In reality, it makes very little sense. A Cleric should be proficient in whatever weapon is representative of his or her Deity at minimum. If it is Helm then a sword is perfectly appropriate (in theory). The execution in 2E was rather less logical than all of that.

Also, Anomen is a warrior priest. He is supposed to be all 'Fighty'. That is his thing. he is the front line against those who would oppose his god. Just saying.
  • the_spyderthe_spyder Member Posts: 5,018
    Bhaaldog said:

Vita, Mortis, Careo...

I figured out why magic doesn't exist irl. You have to say the words, but it only works if you say them in a silly voice.
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182

As a side note, did there use to be a disagree button on this forum? I'm seeing disagrees on a number of the older posts.

Indeed but they took it away because people were abusing it.

AHF
    Eudaemoniummlnevese
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Scooter said:

Indeed but they took it away because people were abusing it.

Wants to disagree but won't when forced to publicly articulate a real reason for doing so....

• bill_zagoudisbill_zagoudis Member Posts: 207
    i suspect that's how the dev's wanted him to be, in the SoA manual there's some comment about puritan arrogance holding him back in his trials,he's meant to be prejudiced,hotheaded,conservative etc it's part of his (lack of) charm
  • NocturneNNocturneN Member Posts: 123
    edited April 2013
    Boaster said:

Okay, so I know this guy is just a character in a video game... BUT....

First off, the guy sounds like a complete geek/nerd/spaz. Honestly, I feel embarrassed if I'm playing this game in the living room with guests in the house.

And finally, one of the things he says is, "Point the sword and I shall strike."

Really? A Got-dang Cleric/Warrior telling someone to point a Sword??? Clerics don't use swords, and probably don't advocate their use. Do they?

Just griefing out loud I suppose.

Heh, that's metaphorical. He tells YOU to point the sword (i.e. signal what to attack, what to fight) and then HE shall strike. ;)

Hmm I wrote a long post about Anomen on Gamebanshee awhile ago, but I can no longer find it:

Basically, Anomen seems like a big, annoying, jerk at first glance, but I decided to give him a fair shot since he was the only romance option for my female PC.

Originally I could barely stand him and considered dumping him for Jaheira many times, but...he grew on me. Anomen has deep issues which aren't clear right from the getgo. Most of his behavior is linked to his troublesome childhood which, if you stick with him, you will get to see more and more of. He has a very interesting questline in which you get to guide his actions through a very complicated matter. Anomen began as an annoying jerk for me but slowly developed over the course of the saga into a very deep and incredibly interesting character! :)

@the_spyder

I wasn't aware of that, but still, I always thought Clerics used blunt weapons to best combat Undead! Skeletal bones break etc...it was the same in Diablo if I recall. Idk, blunt weapons just seem "clericy" to me. xD
    IsabellaGranger
  • IsabellaGrangerIsabellaGranger Member Posts: 52
    Alright, opening this topic again xD Yet I somehow had to; when I first played this game, a few years ago (think I was around 11 years old...), I let Anomen in my part for a while; it seemed easy or non important for me to pick up the very anyone who begs to get in my party since I've had Jaheira, Minsc, Yoshimo, and Aerie; I didn't know how to make balance. But once I let him in, I almost automatically dumped him out of it. He was arrogant, too overriding, always talking about his heroic deeds and how he doubtedly commited them, always saving the situation and so you're so far under his competence... This was like five years ago.
    But... I've played the game three times, and in the last holy one... I gave him another oportunity. Even though I didn't like him at all, and I mean, at all. And this is where I have to agree with NocturneN; he also grew on me. I've always played female character, and always the same name, same class, etc... And I didn't know Anomen was a romanceable character. So when he first started to talk to me, I still didn't appreciate his erratic personality, but as time and talks started to fade and grow, I started to have some affection towards this character. I couldn't help it. I consider myself as a rather acquiescent and patient person, and that's something I've always transmitted to my Baldur's Gate charname, so I've ''forgiven'' him many times, the times when he overstepped with uncontrolable rage and his wrathful responses to my character's ''strength to resolve'', and his issues and flaws started to make me like him a lot, since I finally could understand why Anomen was such an arrogant guy who tried hard to give the impression and image of what he actually desired to one day, become. Maybe (and I think that's it), by passing his test. But he failed in my game xD (Well, I still think do vigilante justice is the best way to resolve, at least his quest.) And there's the other point. Anomen changed quite a bit, and at least to me, seemed a much more natural person. Not that in a huge way, but he started to be more... joyful. Joyful and less pompous. That's what made me almost fell in love with this character. I don't know much about every romanceable npc the game has, but Anomen to me is one of the deepest and real characters from BG. So is Aerie, I think, yet I didn't try her romance. I've played the one Viconia brings and... ugh. She's too slutty to me.
    The point is, that people let the first impression that Anomen does to repercute into their perception, because he isn't really what he shows; yet I think the only way to get to know him for real, is by being her lover, but he's actually an interesting person and worths the exasperation to get to know him xP Besides, think his rough childhood made an interesting strike into his personality. All his usual grump and rage is simply a consequence of being ignored and mistreated when he was a child, and his imperative urge to be 'someone' is the answer of being holded to the only good thing he could found to be part of; he didn't have his father, his mother died after he achieved entering to the order, and he was trained by a bunch of somewhat pompous paladins, who also didn't believe that much in his ability to make a fairness out of the world. So, what else can we expect other than a needy, afflicted and insecure person? Anomen only needs to find the confidence he always yearned for, and has no needs at all to be teased by the things that most hurt him; he's also very sentimental and really, really susceptible. Even when he tries to hide it by answering with another insult, or a rather sharp word, or with an ''I apologize most humbly, my lady, if I have given offense. I did not mean to come across as such an overbearing lout. I shall refrain from bothering you further.'' and stuff like that xD And I actually think he managed to somehow control his own doom, since if he weren't been allowed to enter The Order, he would've become what he always most feared of.
    I usually like deep people, and I have an odd tilt to have strong feelings towards people who struggle against their own within; it's a rare fact. I like people with issues, people who trend to be melancholic or even depressant due to the troubles they can't take charge of without an advice. So, I like Anomen! He's like a bit like that. A supposedly 'badass' which actually struggles against his own person, his own smouldering evil every passing day, and has no one to trust in, other than Charname. Ahh, lovely. xD
    Koson
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Anomen's "point the sword and I shall strike" quote is one of BG's famous "breaking the fourth wall" jokes. He is referring to the sword icon that you use with your mouse to command an attack.
  • Magnus_GrelichMagnus_Grelich Member Posts: 361
    @Roaster: If I didn't know any better, I'd think you were trolling.