Skip to content

Mod to fix the bow nerfs in BG2 EE?

DalinothDalinoth Member Posts: 4
Can someone please tell me if there is a mod (other than the archer kit mods) that fixes the nerfs implemented to bows and archery ammunition in BG2? Thanks...

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    i want to say yes, i swear just semi recently this very question was asked, but for the life of me i can not find the evidence of that post or the mod that does it

rumors had that some tweak mods do it, but i could not find any tweak mods that specifically said they did, i searched forever and couldn't find any specific mod that does this

but i swear there is one out there that does...
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    A large part of the nerf to ranged weapons in BG2 is a change to enemy strategies and abilities. You can kite for days in BG1 (but not in SoD) because the most durable enemies in the game need to get close to you in order to kill you, while the ones that can attack you from a distance are all squishy. It simply makes sense to use Hun tactics.

This isn't the case in BG2 and its derivatives - everything that attacks you from a distance has some sort of way to lessen ranged attacks, while basically everything that attacks you up close is cannon fodder.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Yeah, I don't think bows were nerfed, so much as the kind of enemies fought are as susceptible to those kind of tactics as they were in BG1.
  • TwiceTestedTwiceTested Member Posts: 18
    But they were nerfed. In BG1, a +1 bow gave +1 to hit and +1 to damage. In BG2, it just gives +1 to hit. Same with the Ammunition. A +1 arrow in BG1 gave +1 to hit and damage while in BG2 it just gives +1 to hit.
    edited April 2020
    That sort of nerf would make sense - a +3 bow using +3 arrows would be +6/+6 on anything not immune to +3 weapons. Put one on the launcher and the other on the ammunition, but not both on both.

What bonuses do higher enchantments give in the games? It may be that the bonus is split across the launcher and the ammo in 2EE. (Meaning, a +2 bow has +1 to damage and +2 arrows have +1 to damage)
    edited April 2020
    So then there's a few things that need to happen, then:
    1) All launchers' enchantments get added to both their To-Hit and Damage bonuses. The BG2 values will be used for the base modifiers (shortbows have no innate bonus, longbows have +1 To-Hit, composite adds +1 to damage)
    2) Crossbows get an additional +1 to damage to compensate for losing their relative advantage in BG2 (light crossbows get +1 to damage, heavy crossbows get +3 to damage)
    3) All ammunition use their BG1 Dice Values and Enchantment numbers, but apply enchantment only to To-Hit (this way you still need +3 arrows to hit a creature immune to +2 or lower)
    4) Elemental arrows use their BG1 values where applicable. New ammunition added in BG2 would need to be reviewed.
    5) Self-supplying launchers (Gesen Bow, Everard's Sling, etc) should be reviewed so that their power is comparable to their listed enchantment. This would, among other things, include outright naming the Gesen Bow to "Shortbow of Gesen +4"
    Post edited by Pokota on
  • ArachnusArachnus Member Posts: 20
    ATweaks mod has a component you may be interested in, in the PnP tweaks section: "Magical arrows and bolts deal bonus damage equal to their enchantment level".
    I'll take a look at that component, then. Assuming I ever get working on this sort of project.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724