Skip to content

please stop

Guys,

ffpa7uff6g5o.jpg
gscf93m8xaeq.jpg

Kagain doesn't talk like this. This is not what he sounds like. Play BG1 and listen to the words that he says. He doesn't say ye or nae. He calls you a buncha chumps and tells you to shaddup. He is not "oi needa swig o' some strong,,, dwarrrven ale". He is not that dwarf. He is a different dwarf and that's okay. You don't need to do this. You do not need to homogenise him just because he is short and beardy. They don't need to all be fake Glaswegians. Let them be what they are. Let them be people. Please. I am begging you. #dwarflivesmatter

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    You have a point. I can only say that it's the interpretation of writers. Hard to blame them as there are too many factors involved, BG has too many details. Some were reproduced in SoD faithfully, some not 100% faithfully. You can check out Kagain's additional content in 2.5 (BG:EE) to see that he doesn't talk like yer dwarf, he talks there just as he did in BG1.
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    Was it influenced by the modding scene? Because I've also seen a lot of fanmade banters in which Kagain is unaccountably Scottish, which is why I brought it up.

If this were an isolated case I wouldn't have minded, and I'm obviously exaggerating my outrage even then, but still. We have a dwarf with his own voice and speech pattern, something that makes him unique; what's this obsession with taking it away and having him sound like every other generic dwarf? I don't get it. Diverse characters are good. Distinct voices are good. Embrace them.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    I'm guilty, too. bgqe: @183 = ~Did this amuse ye, <CHARNAME>? Pff.~
    I never played with Kagain in the group - and I'm ESL. I know I asked for help to make some NPCs sound authentic in the past (Dynaheir, Yeslick - maybe also Kagain). Not trying to put the blame.
    @Glam_Vrock I'm always for improving my mods so if you want to help me make Kagain in bgqe sound like you see him in BG1 I'd be grateful.

How does BG1NPC fare in this regard?
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    he did not have that much content when i watched an lp with someone using him. people may just not like kagain as much as fans want to believe.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by elminster on
  • Glam_VrockGlam_Vrock Member Posts: 277
    edited May 2020
    jastey wrote: »
    I'm guilty, too. bgqe: @183 = ~Did this amuse ye, <CHARNAME>? Pff.~
    I never played with Kagain in the group - and I'm ESL. I know I asked for help to make some NPCs sound authentic in the past (Dynaheir, Yeslick - maybe also Kagain). Not trying to put the blame.
    @Glam_Vrock I'm always for improving my mods so if you want to help me make Kagain in bgqe sound like you see him in BG1 I'd be grateful.

How does BG1NPC fare in this regard?
    Been a while since I used him with BG1NPC, but from a quick glance, he's gone full Dwarf Mode in that one too. His mod voice just doesn't match the vanilla.

HIt me up if you need a hand with any edits! I'll do what I can.

megamike15 wrote: »
    he did not have that much content when i watched an lp with someone using him. people may just not like kagain as much as fans want to believe.
    None of the BG1 characters have much content, which is why their voices and speech patterns do so much work in conveying their personality.

elminster wrote: »
    Please stop what? The game came out 4 years ago and the writers of SoD left the company 3.5 years ago. There is nothing to stop here.
    Again, this observation is not being made in a vacuum. SoD is not being written anymore, but mods are, and I see it there too.

elminster wrote: »
    Kagain doesn't use nae or ye but he sure as heck uses ya and even yer in the original. Using ye or nae doesn't seem that big of a stretch. Especially since I think he uses "not" only once and never uses the word "no" in the original game. In the absence of that using either is fine.
    Strongly disagree. The use of "nae" instead of "not", in particular, is a convention evoking a very specific type of voice, and Kagain's is not it. Imagine Rasaad saying something like "My training didnae prepare me for such extended activity." It sounds wrong.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    HIt me up if you need a hand with any edits! I'll do what I can.
    BG1NPC is closed and the original author of Kagain is no longer around, unfotunately. I do not dare to make such strong edits to mod texts that are around for so long. But for bgqe or any other mod I have my hands on I might come back to your offer.