Skip to content

Icewind Dale 2: Enhanced Edition is almost here!

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @Kamigoroshi

I'm not sure. So far there are no new races or subraces.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I've never tried it in 3e, but I wonder how viable a triple multiclass is.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @ThacoBell: More viable than in vanilla. There's a bit more synergy between classes these days. Fighters get extra feats in IWD2, and in EE, there are cross-class feats that fighter levels can be used for. Likewise, lower-level spellcasters are a bit more useful, while high-level spellcasters aren't as overpowered. A Fighter/Mage/Thief would be able to take extra feats from its fighter levels to improve the rogue levels' sneak attack damage, and use the mage spell True Strike to land more of them, or use the Knave's Robe to land sneak attacks with spells. In vanilla, a Fighter/Mage/Thief would mostly be a fighter with weak mage spells.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited July 2020
    If somebody wants to participate in the beta but doesn't have a copy of IWD2 and can't afford one right now, one free copy is being given away over on the GoG forums, among other games. You do have to have some good reputation on the forums though (the rules are outlined on the first page of the forum thread). The Community Giveaway GoG Edition Redux
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    Is there a reason why monk fists cap at 1d8 now?

I've barely played IWD2 but my experience with NWN1 & 2 would suggest that strength-based dual-wielders are better if monks don't get any fist damage progression beyond 1d8 even if they're allowed to go beyond 5 attacks. Dual-wielders can match their attack speed up to a point with high BAB and Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, with elemental damage bonuses and other on-hit weapon properties to boot. If you want monks to stay competitive damage-wise, use NWN2's fist damage progression (since monk fists don't progress beyond level 20 in 3.5e).
    @Flashburn At high levels in IWD2EE, monks attack much faster than dual-wielders even with Improved Two-Weapon Fighting. Currently, monks in IWD2EE might be a bit too powerful at high levels. They definitely shouldn't have their unarmed damage increased further.
    @OlvynChuru
    The class rebalancing info you gave on the first page doesn't explain how much faster; can you give me some numbers?
    @Flashburn

Monks' attacks per round currently scale like this:

Level 1-3: 2 attacks per round
    Level 4-6: 3 attacks
    Level 7-9: 4 attacks
    Level 10-12: 5 attacks
    Level 13-15: 5 attacks, plus a 20% chance after each hit to immediately make another attack
    Level 16-20: 5 attacks, plus a 40% chance after each hit to immediately make another attack
    Level 21-25: 5 attacks, plus a 70% chance after each hit to immediately make another attack
    Level 26-30: 5 attacks, plus a 100% chance after each hit to immediately make another attack

The special additional attacks that have a chance of occurring at high levels come after a slight delay. At levels 26 and above, monks attack about 10 times per round, maybe a little more.
    Hm. Monks may be able to attack faster but it would still seem that dual-wielding fighters have the upper hand due to their new level-based damage bonuses and the improvement to Weapon Specialization. I guess I'll just have to play it to find out.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    kanisatha wrote: »
    megamike15 wrote: »
    kanisatha wrote: »
    jsaving wrote: »
    Do I understand correctly that those wishing to play IWD2EE will need to have previously purchased vanilla IWD2?
    It's $9.99 USD on GoG though, DRM free, and includes the soundtrack and other goodies.

Yes but my problem is that I currently have all my games on Steam, and I really like having all my games in one place. So I'm leery about doing GOG just for this one game, even though this EE project looks fantastic.

you can add non steam games to the client. and gog is the only way you can play iwd 2 and nwn 2 currently.
    Yes, and that's what even has me thinking about it.
    With IwD, love 2, 1 not so much. With NwN, love 2, 1 not at all. So IwD2 and NwN2 are precisely the two games I want to be able to play but cannot right now. So maybe getting them on GOG is something to consider.
    Not to derail this thread or such, but don't want to create a separate thread just for one question either. Can someone please explain the difference between GOG.com and the GOG Client? Can I just buy games through the GOG website and then play them and keep them automatically updated, or must I use the client for all of these functions? Thanks in advance.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    @kanisatha GOG offers both offline installers and their client. GOG Galaxy will automatically update your installed games just like steam. With the exception of not having linux support, that is. Which royally sucks.

Needless to say if you opt for the standalone game installers you have to install each game update manually as well. And I can tell you that's going to be nothing but a chore for large titles that often receive updates, such as Kingmaker. Many times I had to redownload the whole 15GB's worth of data only because Owlcat did not provide a separate update build for my current game version.

Ever since then I opted to purchase my computer games solely on steam. Their proton feature for running windows games on linux distros without having to deal with Wine is another reason.

As for IWD2... it's fine to buy it on either GOG or getting your hand on a physical copy somewhere. Amazon usually lists used copies for around €1.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    @kanisatha GOG offers both offline installers and their client. GOG Galaxy will automatically update your installed games just like steam. With the exception of not having linux support, that is. Which royally sucks.

Needless to say if you opt for the standalone game installers you have to install each game update manually as well. And I can tell you that's going to be nothing but a chore for large titles that often receive updates, such as Kingmaker. Many times I had to redownload the whole 15GB's worth of data only because Owlcat did not provide a separate update build for my current game version.

Ever since then I opted to purchase my computer games solely on steam. Their proton feature for running windows games on linux distros without having to deal with Wine is another reason.

As for IWD2... it's fine to buy it on either GOG or getting your hand on a physical copy somewhere. Amazon usually lists used copies for around €1.
    Thanks!

I still have my old CDs for both IwD2 and NwN2. But I would need to buy a CD/DVD drive to hook up to my computer to upload them.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited July 2020
    Come to think of it: can this mod be used together with the GemRB open source engine for playing natively on linux (amongst other platforms)? 'This would be a godsend since calibrating IWD2 to work with Wine can be a drag at times.
    Post edited by Kamigoroshi on
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    aka the best feature of any ee.
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    megamike15 wrote: »
    aka the best feature of any ee.

Honestly, I went from "well its nice this is going to happen but without quickloot I don't think I'll..."

Oh it's in? I will be playing this.

I would rather wait till its release though, don't want to be a tester, I want to be a player, but I'm certainly grateful to those of us who are testing it.
  • shodan001shodan001 Member Posts: 2
    The game most needs to fix graphics and performance issues in Windows 10 and widescreen support.
    i wonder if there is a way to make it so cheats can be a toggle in the menu. haveing to do a console command every time i want to turn cheats on is tedious.
  • Acrux2Acrux2 Member Posts: 51
    Will 2DA editing be doable on top of this mod? I like some of the changes, but I've done my own customizations over the years that I've also grown fond of.
    @Acrux2 Sure!
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    is the beta out for this? im kind of bored these days and have nothing better to do so i can look for delicious bugs if need be

plus will this be able to support a 1920x1080 wide screen resolution?
    It been established that prestige classes are probably out. But what about non-prestige new classes? Stuff like Swashbuckler and Warlock?
    I was hoping IWD2 might not be as hardcoded as BG was.
    it might be due to it running on the same engine as pst. and that was also hard to mod.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    This looks great!

Intrigued by the joinable NPCs, will there be enough for full good or evil parties so you could start off solo and then add NPCs, or is it more likely to be better to create an almost full party and then add one or two?

Thanks!
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    I’m impressed!
    This game got so so many things right. Atmosphere and flavor were second to none.
    ilduderino wrote: »
    This looks great!

Intrigued by the joinable NPCs, will there be enough for full good or evil parties so you could start off solo and then add NPCs, or is it more likely to be better to create an almost full party and then add one or two?

Thanks!

It would probably be better to create an almost full party and then add one or two, or just create a full party.
  • energisedcamelenergisedcamel Member Posts: 110
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    ilduderino wrote: »
    This looks great!

Thanks!

It would probably be better to create an almost full party and then add one or two, or just create a full party.

Will the joinable NPCs have interjections, banters, etc? I imagine it's easier said than done when the engine isn't exactly designed for companions. I remember the IWD2 NPC mod managed to implement them, although it worked differently to BG.

Either way, this looks amazing. This is going to be an absolute must have for me, if only for the quickloot function!
This discussion has been closed.