Skip to content

Imoen hate thread.

Hi, everyone. This is a thread to bash and hate on Imoen. Feel free to comment, regardless of whether you dislike Imoen or not.

Reasons why Imoen is the worst party member:

1) You don't have access to her for like, half of Shadows of Amn
2) Is a Bhaalspawn but can't turn into the slayer
3) Is a Thief but can't use cool high-level thief abilities
4) Has pink hair to make up for her lack of a personality

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    The worst thing about Imoen?

"Heya it's me, Imoen!"

I swear I'm tempted to feed her to a wolf every time I hear that line!
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    I have the mod for you: https://github.com/subtledoctor/Imoen-Can-Die/releases
    (Lets Imoen die when you reach Spellhold.) ;)
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Spellhold? Waaay too late in the story. What we need is a mod that kills off Imoen at the start of Candkekeep before she can finish her dreaded sentence.

Imoen: “Heya it's-“
    *Lightning strike*
    Imoen: “... *sizzling sounds*“
    Gorion's Ward: “Bullseye!! Now I finally have a reason to worship Talos in honest.“
  • AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    The worst thing about Imoen?

"Heya it's me, Imoen!"

I swear I'm tempted to feed her to a wolf every time I hear that line!

Now that's the spirit!
    jastey wrote: »

Sounds great. What's the catch? Nalia becomes more like Imoen, even getting pink hair? Or even worse me :#
    Spellhold? Waaay too late in the story. What we need is a mod that kills off Imoen at the start of Candkekeep before she can finish her dreaded sentence.

Imoen: “Heya it's-“
    *Lightning strike*
    Imoen: “... *sizzling sounds*“
    Gorion's Ward: “Bullseye!! Now I finally have a reason to worship Talos in honest.“

Perhaps that can be a perk if you are a Cleric of Talos, Imoen instantly dies.
    Aerie wrote: »
    Sounds great. What's the catch? Nalia becomes more like Imoen, even getting pink hair? Or even worse me :#
    No, no catch. And the fun part? She dies depending on the reply option. You can *literally* chose to let her wither and die in front of the PC's eyes!
    (Now I need to run before anyone notices that I'm the author of "Imoen 4 Ever", too.)

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905

Very interesting. I had never heard of this, and I can't remember it being promoted at the other mod sites (G3, etc.). I'd love to hear more about it. Jastey, at the risk of inciting a spoiler, do you know if she can/will still die due to dialogue options from a good party?

I don't hate Imoen, but I believe the developers' original decision to have her die in Spellhold would have been better from a writing standpoint.
    edited August 2020
    @OrlonKronsteen
    The mod adds reply options when you first meet her in Spelhold. It's basically a switch the player can chose: "Imoen, you look good!" (paraphrased) -> Imoen will survive and the game plays on as normal, and "Imoen, you look so weak, you are dying!" -> Imoen will die, canon NPCs will give a comment.
    It's subtledoctor's idea, I only coded the first version.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    I actually like Imoen in BG1. In BG2, not so much. Too much complaining, not enough interaction with the rest of the party. Very hard to leave her behind in Spellhold, but I typically have no space for her in the party at that point. I might actually try that mod. Does it kill Imoen unconditionally, or only if you exceed a time limit? That would be awesome.
    edited August 2020
    @borntodie Read the spoiler in my above post if you want to know how the mod works. ;)
    (I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a mod adverstisment. Just wanted to share a bit of feeling for Imoen, too. :D I like her, btw. )
    ohh I see, really cool
  • ReticentReticent Member Posts: 122
    I don't have any problems with Imoen herself, but the games really have a weird way of dumping her on you in awkward, immersion harming ways.

Her general lack of reaction to finding out Gorion was murdered 20 seconds ago about 100 feet away is, in hindsight, BIZARRE.

And the whole 'seven people is too big to be a party' thing at Spellhold has to be one of the most socially uncomfortable moments in any rpg.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    The whole Imoen/Yoshimo trap is clumsy and although it might seem 'clever' in a one-off PnP game it just becomes a cumbersome shackle when replaying BG2(EE).
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174

I like the idea of this mod but for full immersion I suppose that some extra comments from the player / npcs concerning Imoen’s fate might be in order:

Charname to Bodhi: “You lifesucking fiend from the lowest depths, you mosquito, you crawling spider, you sucked the life and soul from Imoen till she withered away, have you no shame?!”
    Bodhi: “Well hey, you did install the mod. And look at all this crap you’ve upgraded and would you install improved vampires too oh no...”
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    dunbar wrote: »
    The whole Imoen/Yoshimo trap is clumsy and although it might seem 'clever' in a one-off PnP game it just becomes a cumbersome shackle when replaying BG2(EE).

i don't see it as a trap. the game is pushing you to use yoshimo as he knows the area. i always tend to use him in my runs as i use his banter mods that make him fun to have around.
  • RidcullyRidcully Member Posts: 167
    The fact that you can't easily get her INT score permanently up. The one that bugs me is the deck of many things. Not a fault of Imoen more an issue of coding but you can't raise Imoen's INT, her DEX score goes up instead
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    That is not a bad thing. I'd rather have a point of Dex than a point of Int on any character - especially since potions that temporarily raise Int are plentiful, and temporary Int suffices for absolutely everything you need the stat for.

I'm planning a run soon in which the party's sole thief will be a thief-mage dual ... Nalia, of course. That free 50% fire resistance makes the plan work so much better.
  • Djasko_AmsterdamDjasko_Amsterdam Member Posts: 47
    borntodie wrote: »
    I actually like Imoen in BG1.

Well you're a queer fellow.

Anyway I didn't like her in either one, felt her character was forced.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited August 2020
    What's the point of a hate thread? Do we need to make up reasons for sociopathy now?

*edit* I'm not calling anyone in thread an actual sociopath. I just realized how this comment can look. The comment is pointed at the optics of making a thread specifically to hate someone. The thread concept itself seems sociopathic. That's all.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on

Sometimes I wish I can take Yoshimo instead of Imoen. ''WHY game, WHHYYY''.
    I actually like Imoen in BG1.

Well you're a queer fellow.

:D:D
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    What's the point of a hate thread? Do we need to make up reasons for sociopathy now?

*edit* I'm not calling anyone in thread an actual sociopath. I just realized how this comment can look. The comment is pointed at the optics of making a thread specifically to hate someone. The thread concept itself seems sociopathic. That's all.

*Sigh*. There's always a party pooper.

Listen, I just looked through your post history, and I've personally seen this lots of times before. You always seem to be arguing and creating arguments on here. This isn't an attack on you, maybe you just love arguing. But I'm not here to argue with you.

This is a serious/parody/fun thread rolled into one. If you don't really like ''the thread concept'' you are free to leave.

In fact why are you even commenting on this thread, if you have a clear problem with it? That's just going to create problems. Predictable incoming reply in 3, 2, 1...
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i mean aerie is best girl. but imoen is also best girl along with neera.
    @Aerie I thought this was a hate thread. I thought my comment fit in perfectly.
    megamike15 wrote: »

Best girl: Aerie
    Next best girl: Neera

'okay' girls: Mazzy and Hexxat

Worst girls: Nalia, Viconia, Imoen, Jaheira,
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

Sometimes I wish I can take Yoshimo instead of Imoen. ''WHY game, WHHYYY''.

i think the reason why you can't take yoshimo along ( unless you a mod to do so ) was because there was some sort of weird contract dispute with either yoshimo's character or voice actor or something on those lines

hence the reason why you can't bring him along in ToB

although it is funny because if i am not mistaken at least in the vanilla SoA if you can somehow bring him to hell in chapter 7 ( using cheats ) he does have dialogue of dying

so it seems like there was supposed to be a way perhaps? but instead they just make it so you can bring his heart back to some whack priest for 200 000 XP instead
    edited August 2020
    That is interesting. In EE you can still take Yoshimo (using the cheat crtl-Q), and I've seen talk that Yoshimo has hell dialogue. I know for sure they never removed it in EE.

I wasn't aware of the contract situation. It's a shame really. Yoshimo is an interesting character.

In one of my future BG2 play throughs, I will have to take him maybe as the main character (Bhaal-spawn) or as a companion.
    I can't stand Neera, such a millennial. Viconia though.. *blush*

Oh man, I know, right?! Emotionally abusive, manipulative, totally hawt!

Your boomer is showing.