Skip to content

What is EET good for?

13»

Comments

• lollerslollers Member Posts: 190
    edited October 2020
    Would the start of BG2 with the EET mod be weird if I killed Imoen, Jaheira and Minsc in BG1? I have no plans to do it though, that would be mean.
  • AngulimalaAngulimala Member Posts: 82
    Afaik, Imoen would still be there, as she is plot central, but Minsc and Jaheira would not be there. Just empty cages. Or maybe their corpses, or chunks, I don't remember.
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    I believe all three of them are still there (even though it would be nonsensical for a pre-killed Imoen to be there since that would utterly negate chapters 2-4) in EET regardless of their fate in the original since they're "new" instances of the NPCs (and it's not like resurrection isn't a thing or anything).
    In EET, the canon NPCs are not new instances, and will retain any changes made to them in BG1EE or SoD, such as stat boosts and proficiency selection. Last time I played through, Minsc got chunked before Chapter 5 and he did not appear in his cage in Chateau Irenicus (don't remember if there was a chunk in the cage or not). Imoen and Edwin are resurrected and will reappear since they are plot critical.
    Edwin is plot-critical but Minsc is not. Sure.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Pokota wrote: »

I mean, he's not. No quest in the game requires him.
    The thieves' guild quest requires Edwin to be alive, if you recall. Minsc is popular but he is not essential to any aspect of the story beyond your own enjoyment if you like him.

Referring to

• megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    minsc only plot relevant thing is he can get the umar hills location opened as the boy walks up to him. but you can also open that in another way.

edwin is needed for half the quests to open the thieve's strong hold.
    edited November 2020
    The upshot of all this being that Minsc - who is neither elven nor a heritor of Bhaal and thus can be freely raised as the plot demands and canonically survives through to 5th edition by virtue of petrification - doesn't get a free pass in EET simply because no quests ask for him.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The upshot of all this being that Minsc - who is neither elven nor a heritor of Bhaal and thus can be freely raised as the plot demands and canonically survives through to 5th edition by virtue of petrification - doesn't get a free pass in EET simply because no quests ask for him.

EET is an attempt to make your choices from BG1 carry over to BG2 in a more accurate fashion than "Oh, charname has the same stats". If you killed someone in BG1, they are gone barring plot requirements. Raise dead isn't exactly a cheap spell to afford, and someone who died alone isn't gonna have anyone to raise them.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,059
    They could have probably altered the quest slightly then to recognize Edwin is gone, if that was the case.

It's just a style of doing this with a light touch versus a more heavy one.

Minsc, by virtue of his popularity, has gained a sort of immortality that transcends all versions of the game.

If he dies in EET, perhaps Boo acts as a sort of phylactery, awaiting the right conditions for a resurrection.