Skip to content

What is EET good for?

Comments

• CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @ThacoBell you were not asking for clarification but you're trying to force your negative view of EET to others. You can like EET or not, I don't care, but others may be interested in playing it.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Cahir wrote: »
    @ThacoBell you were not asking for clarification but you're trying to force your negative view of EET to others. You can like EET or not, I don't care, but others may be interested in playing it.

I WAS asking for clarification. But you seem insistent on being confrontational, so I'm going to drop it here.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    @ThacoBell

If you don't want to appear aggressive don't stick stuff in capitals. It looks like you are shouting.
    @ThacoBell

If you don't want to appear aggressive don't stick stuff in capitals. It looks like you are shouting.

Shouting is what the "!" is for. No "!", no shouting. That's literally the entire point of punctuation, to tell you the tone of the statement.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @ThacoBell

Shouting is what the "!" is for. No "!", no shouting. That's literally the entire point of punctuation, to tell you the tone of the statement.

And what's the Caps Lock for?
    @ThacoBell

And what's the Caps Lock for?

Emphasis. I'm honestly baffled why capping a single word or two out of a sentence indicates that the whole sentence is screamed at the reader. Ever read a comic book? Maybe I've read too many, and not everyone knows the practice.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I can kind of see the problem Thacobell is talking about, as the games assume a one-way journey. Once you leave the north, you never go back. Once you leave Amn, you never go back, etc. I still have no idea how the camps in SoD could be handled in a way that makes sense, since the plot involves the whole camp moving.

However, with the addition of Imoen4Ever, I absolutely want to run an EET install. I think it would be amazing to be able to revisit those old areas, or even do ToSC with the kind of horsepower you have by the time you leave for Brynnlaw. Mostly, I just think it would be fun to return to those wilderness areas. I have no idea how far Amekethran would be from, say, Tenya's house or the zombie farm. I would love to find out.

That said, I already run into occasional, light issues with the mod loadout I have now - which is mostly NPCs, the NPC projects, unfinished business, and SCS. However, so far none of them have been game breaking.

As it is, it seems I will have to buy a license for at least the Beamdog version of SoD on PC, since the tablet versions can't be merged to produce the required EET install. So, I'm weighing how much it is worth to me to run it. Still tempted, though.
    I'm not saying DON'T attempt an EET install. Its fans tend to shower praise upon it, which can make expectations unreasonably high for it. I'm just sharing, well shared, what I see as its downsides. Its not for me, but that doesn't mean its objectively bad or anything. Hopefully the two "extremes" of our praise and criticism can provide something of a balanced view/expectation for anyone looking to get into it.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    I'm not saying DON'T attempt an EET install. Its fans tend to shower praise upon it, which can make expectations unreasonably high for it. I'm just sharing, well shared, what I see as its downsides. Its not for me, but that doesn't mean its objectively bad or anything. Hopefully the two "extremes" of our praise and criticism can provide something of a balanced view/expectation for anyone looking to get into it.

That would have been a very sensible and conciliating post, would you have refrained from using words like "fans" and "shower praise" for the opinion you clearly do not share.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    as i see it. as i heavily mod my baldurs gate games eet is more of a hassle. as something is gonna break and getting the install set up would take much longer then it would if i had just done it with the stand alone games which already takes me like an hour.
    megamike15 wrote: »
    as i see it. as i heavily mod my baldurs gate games eet is more of a hassle. as something is gonna break and getting the install set up would take much longer then it would if i had just done it with the stand alone games which already takes me like an hour.

Guys, I can relate that EET is not everyone's cup of tea. I really don't understand the argument about EET breaking other mods, though. Even though EET is still stated as RC it has been very stable for a long time. At the moment very few mods needs to be inststalled on BGEE prior to EET Core component (all those mods are listed in EET Compatibility List). Majority of mods are already natively compatible with EET. There are also two mods that after some testing it was advised to install on BG2EE before installing EET Core (those are SoD to BG2EE Items and Awesome Soundpacks). Other than that installation is pretty straithforward, although I must admit, time consuming.

@megamike15 can you give one specific example of EET breaking other mods? I'm interested since I'm preparing a content heavy EET Install and would be great to know if something may end up badly.
    @Cahir @megamike15 I think it's not "EET breaking other mods", I think what people mean might be "more EET related bugs inside mods" which is something else imho and was definitely true in some cases. My EndlessBG1 mod v1 (long fixed) crashed for EET in one area but not for BG:SoD; several NPC mods had an EET specific install bug because the NPC Transition Function was called too early in the install process (which didn't give an install error for earlier EET versions).
    Plus, EET is a mod itself so I understand that people are expecting that it has bugs of its own (on top of the game bugs and the mod bugs).
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,061
    I think EET's hesitations are from mechanics (People hear its hard so hesitate) which is unfortunate fault of first impressions, or conservatism (I've always played it this way, and I'll never change).

I do think people should give it a chance (I will give it a chance once I'm not in a place where I'm constantly reinstalling mods because of development), which is hopefully in a month! Then I'll leave a proper review.

Although I am curious what would happen to current saves in an EET installation.
    jastey wrote: »

That would have been a very sensible and conciliating post, would you have refrained from using words like "fans" and "shower praise" for the opinion you clearly do not share.

Considering how harshly people responded to me for daring to share a non-positive opinion in a thread asking for opinions, I think my language is ENTIRELY appropriate.

Pretty funny how positive posts are welcome, but any negative ones are lies and pushing my pushing my opinion on someone else. Oh wait, that's not funny at all.
    @ThacoBell you are not aware about how aggressive some of your posts come across.
    Rargh, EET bad, me smash!1

I don't know what you are talking about.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,061
    edited August 2020
    I see what jastey means by aggressive to be honest. We can't hear the spoken word, so the written word is all that is interpreted, and I can see someone interpreting some of the diction/phrasing choices as harsh or aggressive. Calling it out rarely helps (The opposite really), but I would agree it is occurring. It can't hurt to soften it down a bit if possible.

In the end, 'tis just a mod. Like all mods, one's mileage and enjoyment wildly varies.
    Rargh, EET bad, me smash!1

I don't know what you are talking about.

@ThacoBell I may have been too harsh with my response and got emotions better of me. I may disagree with your point of view regarding different things (like EET or BG3), but I should stay calm. Apologize for that.

However, your further reply ("Screw you too? ") was far more rude than mine (at least this part) and you could easily express your discontent in more civil way. Just saying. But I don't hold any grudge. It was unnecessarily heated discussion which I started, so I guess I brought it on myself to some degree.
    @Cahir Thank you, I'm sorry for not coming across the right way. As a clarification, the "screw you too?" was supposed to be a confused question. Like a, "That came out of nowhere, are we insulting each other now?"

@Skitia "It can't hurt to soften it down a bit if possible."

I mean, I did. "

Boy that sure went well. Not sure how calling someone who enjoys EET a "fan" is a bad thing. Or how saying only positive things about EET isn't praise, but whatever. Some people will be upset no matter what one does. I have no desire to try and bend over backwards to appease people like that.
  • AtiseAtise Member Posts: 5
    I am a noob and i use EET installer tools

It works fine for me

I only have problem when I try to add new mod into my game without using the tool

since the EET tool does not allow me to add new stuff, I read somewhere i can add new stuff by uninstalling EET_End and re-install it after I add the new mod. But it doesn't always work. Sometimes I screw up, then i need to re-install all my mods via the tools again. If all mods are installed correctly, the old save game still works (at least it works for me), but I am fine with re-starting the whole story since it's my favorite game and with the mod community, this game never gets old

It actually has some notes in the mod selection page that helps the user to understand what the color means

zc1zxcxkkjw5.jpg

It also tells you what mod is conflicting with each other
    n9atnifp16ob.jpg

Noob like me does not have the ability to determine which mod has conflict with others

So the tool is helping me to enjoy a lots of mods.
    edited September 2020
    @Atise That conflict info is of no use if it's as outdated as what your screenshot shows. Edwin Romance was one of the first mods I made compatible with Imoen4Ever, that was in November last year. There is more.

Also - not sure what an "EET Setup Tool Advertisment" post is doing in the "What is EET good for" thread. The tool has nothing to do with the game EET.
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    @Maurvir
    The Gibberlings3 Forum is likely a better place to ask technical questions. Many more mod authors are there. (Many mod authors are on more than one forum.)
  • AtiseAtise Member Posts: 5
    Also - not sure what an "EET Setup Tool Advertisment" post is doing in the "What is EET good for" thread. The tool has nothing to do with the game EET.

Sorry about that cuz I thought they are the same thing until I read your post from previous page.

I've been using EET for the past month or so and found it very easy to install and set up. I'm using a Mac, I don't know whether it is more complicated with Windows.

Bear in mind that I am no expert, but this is my understanding of how it works: There are basically one or two BG1 mods you need to install before you install EET. Then you install EET. Then you install the other mods you want to use. Then you run EET end and you are ready to go. You can add or remove mods so long as you run EET end after you have done it. The only exception would be if you want to add mods that need to be installed before EET - in that case you would basically have to uninstall everything and start again.

The compatibility list can be found here: https://k4thos.github.io/EET-Compatibility-List/EET-Compatibility-List.html

A word of warning. When I did a Google search for the EET Compatibility List the first hit I got was an almost identical list which advises the use of the EET install tool. This seems to have been put out by Roxanne and though the list appears to be a direct copy of the original some of the mods (such as @jastey 's Imoen4Ever mod) have been deleted. I have included a link to this list so you can see the differences. But personally I would advise sticking to the original: http://eetcompatiblemods.baldursextendedworld.com/
    Roxanne's list is interesting in so far as that it openly shows the dubious mod versions her tool downloads. She doesn't even hide it in the depths of the tool, she makes a list that everyone can see directly. I call that Chuzpe, but in a negative sense.

--

Setting up EET by hand is just as easy on Windows. EET itself is just one mod. As long as you have the BG:SoD installation in the normal directory (C:Programs) you don't even have to type in the path because it's recognized automatically, you just have to type "y" to confirm. Finished.

Really, the most complicated thing in IE modding is that mods are not all compatible and need to be installed in an optimized order. But that's nothing EET related.

Only thing for EET is like @Permidion_Stark mentioned that there are some mods that need to be installed to BG:SoD prior to run EET.exe in the BGII:EE folder (because they do not have native EET compatibility yet), and that there is EET_End.exe which finalizes the installation.

• antisthenesantisthenes Member Posts: 6
    This thread has been immensely helpful in deciding what type of game I want to run. Special thanks to @jastey & @Permidion_Stark for these last two posts. You two made it crystal clear about how to install EET.

I was planning on using a tool named Project infinity [https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/74335/project-infinity-public-beta-for-all/p1]Project infinity[/url] to help with conflicts since I will be using over 50+ mods.

Do you guys recommend that I use the Project Infinity tool in my EET install? It looks very useful but I'm not sure it's commonly used since I didn't see it mentioned in this thread.
    @antisthenes
    I didn't make use of it because I was only installing a very small number of mods but my understanding is that if you are using a lot of mods then Project Infinity is the way to go. Hopefully someone with experience of using it will be along soon to advise you.
    Project Inifnity is the only non-biased automatic installer available currently, but it is still in beta and there is only the beginning of an install order by including categories into the mod itself which is not supported by all mods yet. @ALIEN is available in case you have questions or encounter problems.

@antisthenes
    There are several threads at G3 which were community efforts to come to the best install order for a lot of mods, see my links here.
    With 50+ mods, it might be useful after you evaluated the other lists and readme notes to seek for input from the community concerning the best install order.
    I am amidst compiling mods for a *very* big EET install. I was cautious to choose mods that were either BG1EE-compatible, meaning they were installed pre-EET, or that were specifically EET-compatible.
    I am amidst compiling mods for a *very* big EET install. I was cautious to choose mods that were either BG1EE-compatible, meaning they were installed pre-EET, or that were specifically EET-compatible.