Skip to content

BG2 Watcher's Keep Level 4 Frozen/FIXED!

TacticalBananaTacticalBanana Member Posts: 6
edited December 2020 in Troubleshooting
Here is the attached save as requested by Beamdog support.

My party made it to Watcher's Keep, level 4 and won 2/3 battles. When charname turns the Spirit Key to start the fight with Azmantes, the game freezes entirely. I verified steam game files and am not using any mods for the game. It's worth noting that if I do not turn the key, the party can leave the Watcher's Keep entirely and explore the world.

The issue is fixed. I just sent the party into the Illithid encampment and raid a treasure chest and when they opened the spirit key, it worked!
Post edited by TacticalBanana on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    Hmm...

Oddly enough, the very first time I tried this, the game got stuck in cutscene mode and would not advance... But every time after that I tried, the fight started as normal...

What do you mean by "the game freezes entirely"? Do you mean that the game crashes to desktop? Or does the HUD simply disappear, but the characters still appear to be fidgeting and moving and such, Flaming swords still burning, armor still glowing, music still playing, etc.? These are two different issues and would likely have completely different causes...
  • TacticalBananaTacticalBanana Member Posts: 6
    The hud disappears and I can't move anyone, but swords shimmer, skull traps hover and characters sway in space. But that happens every single time.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Okay. There's a cutscene that's supposed to play (part of ITFPEDC.bcs), but for some reason the actions aren't progressing.
    (Actions, in sequence: Move view point, set a variable, set another variable, display a message, wait 2, make a visual "Raise Dead" effect, create Azamantes, wait 2, make three more visual "Raise Dead" effects, create three Flaming Skulls.)

I've run into similar broken cutscenes in other spots in ToB; for me, they've always worked properly when I reloaded a save and went through it again. Have you tried that yet?

As for what you can do in the game when a cutscene breaks like that ... you can force quit.
  • TacticalBananaTacticalBanana Member Posts: 6
    I've force quit the game, booted it back up and then loaded the save. I don't have any other saves. Still happens every time.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Hey, @TacticalBanana . Please opt-in the beta-version 2.6 on Steam (if you have a Beamdog version, you can request a steam key at https://beamdog.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portals ) and try loading the save in the beta version.