Skip to content

After Witcher 3 why haven't there been more games like TW3?

CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
You know, Third person Action RPG with a story to tell and skills?

Comments

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    This is a great question, one I've been pondering myself. We will be getting a new "Witcher" game at some point, though it won't be titled Witcher 4 or even Witcher at all. And we will also be getting the next Dragon Age game (again sans the number 4). But these games are at least two, and more likely three, years away.

Seems like we have a lot of piling on the bandwagon going on within the RPG industry. For party-based cRPGs, the bandwagon to jump on to nowadays is apparently that the game MUST be TB. For action RPGs, the bandwagon appears to be that the game MUST be first-person. And anyone who doesn't exclusively like these two types of RPGs can drop dead.

I am still very hopeful that the Microsoft AAA RPGs currently being made (steampunk game from inXile, Avowed from Obsidian, and Starfield and TES 6 from Bethesda) will end up having a third-person option.
    Isewein
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    edited January 2021
    same time typing???
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Cvijeta wrote: »
    same time typing???
    Huh? Confused by what you are asking.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Cvijeta wrote: »
    same time typing???
    Huh? Confused by what you are asking.

I typed something at the same time when you posted, and had to delete it. It wasn't directed at anyone.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited January 2021
    "More games like the Witcher 3", as if it's so easy. It's a bit similar to saying "more games like BG2", or "more games like Skyrim".

The Witcher 3 is a masterpiece, one of the best games ever. It takes a lot to create such a game: a team which has been growing with experience, a budget, a lot of professionals, a great setting, and a bit of luck.

CDPR created another great game, btw, which I'm very fond of, we have a thread for it. And the use of the first person view in that game is the only way they could provide such an immersive experience. I understand entirely why Cyberpunk 2077 is first person.

But there is already a good mod (and it's getting constant updates) for the third person camera for it, so if it's something that prevents you from playing CP2077, you can use that mod.

As for the genre-like games, I enjoyed Assassin's Creed: Odyssey and currently finishing Horizon Zero Dawn: both games are third person action RPGs.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla is another similar game, and @Cahir has been very fond of Ghost of Tsusima- it's available if you have a PS console, ofc.

These 4 games have some elements reminding about TW3 (one can say borrowed mechanics), but they can't substitute it, just as you can't substitute BG2. And such aspect as elements of narrative and complex characters, one of TW3's main strengths, is present in CP2077.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    Arvia
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I can second the fact that every Assassin's Creed game since Origins is HEAVILY inspired by The Witcher 3. The complete turn of that series into a historical, open-world RPG with mega-large maps is a direct result of it existing.
    JuliusBorisovBallpointManArvia
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    While I still enjoy Assassin's Creed Valhalla, I started to see the same symptoms that probably caused I got bored with The Witcher 3. The world is too big and additional side activities are uninspiring and take me away from the main story. Lately I spent 2 hours only to clear large castle out of enemies. Don't get me wrong, the combat is quite fun, but it seems repetitive.

Exploring in Ghost of Tshushima for example was muchh more interesting, probably because this game is stunningly beautiful. The only game more beautiful in my opinion is Red Dead Redemption 2.
    Arvia
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Zero Horizon Dawn is an amazing third person action RPG and was released to Steam last year after being a PS4 exclusive when it was released. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1151640/Horizon_Zero_Dawn_Complete_Edition/
    I heard game was mostly patched. Wishlisted.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Usually, a very small percentage of products, art, and so on reaches such a high level of quality. In the videogame's case, I think it comes down to various factors, even more so for cRPGs, as their development usually requires more time. So, not only mechanics but the story, characters, worldbuilding etc needs to be at an excellent level, in the case of The Witcher 3, development requires much more time. This is why there aren't many games like this.

And I think it is a good thing. If every videogame was such a high quality, you most likely wouldn't appreciate excellence as much. Because if every videogame is excellent, it is harder for one to stand out, and also the excellence is becoming the norm instead of a precious rarity.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It's probably the game I've played that remindedme the most of Witcher 3.
    JuliusBorisov