Skip to content

Where are the active Baldur's Gate modders at now?

WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
edited January 2021 in BG:EE Mods
I'm wondering if Baldur's Gate Version 2.0+ still has an active modding community?

I use Discord all the time and I'm building my own games now (pretty much on Discord). I have found that Discord is very useful to stay in touch with other modding communities in general as well. I'm not on here very often although I do help other games modding communities. One big example is Vanilla World of Warcraft where I help make new dungeons and other custom content.

I have a bunch of frozen content I have been tinkering with on and off for over a decade and I'm worried if I don't get active in some way the community will fade away before I have a chance to finish my work. I worry more about this given now that Beamdog has other games to focus on than Baldur's Gate. It looks like the community more and more is now needed to make new content for the game; if there is still a healthy demand for new content.

I hope I can make proper incarnations of my frozen Baldur's Gate content as a sort of incremental expansion pack to share with the community. Although in general I think I'm missing some kind of Baldur's Gate modding community to mingle with. This is pretty apparent given my adventures I have found with other RPG modding communities on Discord that have led to new community made content geared towards the community's enjoyment.

I kind of hope I can find some kind of Baldur's Gate modding community to have fun and be creative with. My life is kind of busy this year (professional game development, cedar mill business and construction / building) so I have less time to mod for fun. Although I would still like to socialize with people making Baldur's Gate content.

Does anyone have an idea where to find a Discord server or something with active Baldur's Gate modders? I'm kind of looking for a place to just relax, talk on and on about features and ideas and share and collaborate with making community made content. I'm just not sure where to look to find the Baldur's Gate modding community XD.

Comments

• WithinAmnesiaWithinAmnesia Member Posts: 958
    edited January 2021
    AionZ wrote: »
    Although in general I think I'm missing some kind of Baldur's Gate modding community to mingle with.
    You alienated the community ages ago when you decided to take other modders' content and adapt it to your own purposes. You were called out on the fact and have yet to make any sort of apology or attempt to rectify the issue despite that fact.

I did make an apology and I did try to rectify the issue although by the time I had shared the internal version of the mod for a private development it had being taken out of my control and was released as a full / public version although it clearly was not ready. When the mod launched prematurely I had sunk my ship for the damage was done and I could not ask for an Un-launch and worst of all the content could not go back to the original owners for I started a civil war of drama from two people who really did not like each other. I had no idea I was working with the rival / non-friend of the original owners at the time. I did not launch the mod although I am to blame for asking help from outside of the owners' circle of trusted people.

My original plans went out the window for I ended up waking away from the drama I created. I went back and asked what I did and where I made a series of mistakes. From this search for answers I ended realizing I was guilty of betraying the trust of the owners of the mod and I was ultimately responsible for 2 versions when I wanted 1 version with the owners. I think at the time I was worried of the mod dying so I was searching for help before the drama. Yet in the end the person who helped with scripting ended up being the opposite end of getting along with the owners and I found out about this after when the premature launch happened. This divide in-between the two parties was news to myself and it put myself in a bad spot for I could not pick a side and alienate the other for both people helped myself substantially with learning how to mod and get my own past and independent content to work.

I do not like to talk much about my memory problems but they played an issue in this. I had to ask each party very politely to avoid a complete meltdown on what I did to get to this spot because I forgot some details and I found issues with my answers I was coming up with. This drama melt down was quite a black blotch that stained my experience with modding Baldur's Gate. I felt I had let down the owners of the mod, the very ethics of the community and I had no excuse other than I should not have shared content that was not my own for scripting / coding help. In my own eyes I became the enemy of the people who I looked up to for inspiration. Then in the end after being wracked with guilt of my wrongdoings and the sense of responsibility of the damage dealt, I exiled myself. In my exile I ended up haunted by a sense of guilt of not trying to atone and or better the horrid situation I started and wanting to understand what happened. So I went back here and asked around but I think a few of my comments were deleted by the forum staff. I did not want to share or in some shape let private trusted details / content spill unsanctioned into the public; for god knows I cannot do that again.

This issue is quite haunting for myself for I betrayed the trust owners of the mod I wanted to help but ultimately I did a lot of damage to. I shared the whole file with my unfinished work and theirs when I should have only shared my own work when looking for outside scripting help. My act of asking for help outside of the owners circle of trusted people lead to path that held myself responsible for sharing an unfinished non-public version of the mod. Why I shared the files was to have some of my extra dungeon features / maps I was making receive help with scripting / coding where I was struggling to succeed in and preventing myself from properly polishing my new maps and content to give back to the owners so they could launch it on their own terms. Yet I found out after the fact that the help was outside of the owner's circle of trusted people and I found out that the mod was released to the public without asking the owners nor myself. I felted very defeated at this point and I tried to put out fires. I think I panicked or doubled down or something stupid in an attempt to find a way to make peace but the damage was done and the fire was out of control and just had to burn itself out with myself locked inside. I could not escape this firestorm for I lit the match and barred the doors and had my bridges burned. Yet I survived and here I am again as some sort of Frankenstein's Monster emerging from the burnt-out ruins of the the windmill.

I ended up creating the events that lead to the event of the sharing of the unreleased, unsanctioned, unfinished version of mod to the public when it was not meant to be released. I leaked the whole set of files in full with my half made new maps to get help on my maps and new content *WITH* the content that the mod owners worked years and years on to create. The owners were robbed of a proper release when the whole thing was released to the public as it was in a broken and horrid state.

Feeling well, shocked when the drama happened and from the drama I found out about the unsanctioned release; I felt I had wronged both sides. I could not continue development for the files were leaked and I could not fix it. I did not own the site and there was my name in the credits for all to see WithinAmnesia, Yet there was no credit to the owners. I knew I could not get the mod pulled after I learned of the two hostile parties. Even if I did the damage was done, people had saved back ups and it was being shared around. I walked away in a complete meltdown.

My actions lead to the making of an unfinished unsanctioned version that was not supposed to be released to the public but was. I hope to god that the owners can recover and get the mod working as it should have. My original plan was to develop a dragon dungeon under the castle and get it working on my own efforts and give the content to the owners in hopes that they would use it for an up coming proper release. Yet I feel stupid saying that for in reality my plan failed horribly and I'm not sure where I am to end up. I still like the owners of the mod even if they don't like myself and I can't get mad at all the help I received learning to mod and how to script / code. It feels as if I have been blindsided on two sides yet in the end I know I could have prevented all of this and I'm left with a sense of guilt and betrayal of the people who trusted myself.

I think some how I can make this right to the community. I'm not sure how to do it although I'm pretty sure what not to do. Either way I feel I'm banished from working with the owners and I feel distant to the unfinished version of the mod. Either option I have here is not good. Although maybe I can make my own content and just start from scratch. I can make new maps, I can make new encounters and even if I am to suffer as an individual I feel guilty as well to deny the community a potential wicked expansion pack for I know I am able to create one piece by piece. It is just a fair chunk of the community kind of hates myself for well being an idiot and having this drama happen and the damage it caused. I love Baldur's Gate modding yet I wrecked myself in the community, it is kind of messed up but what can I do now?

Eh I'm kind of on some kind of weird redemption arc of sorts after being an idiot I feel like. Still though an idiot who can make pretty good Baldur's Gate content if I just stay away from others' un-launched work; I'm paranoid about getting other peoples' unreleased work now. I want to get back to where I can just tinker away with my own Baldur's Gate content and release good content when it is properly ready. I think I can make more content and where something was so fowl and horrid it can remade into something better if not good. Yet I need to start and rebuild somewhere. The longest journey begins with the first step.
    Post edited by WithinAmnesia on
This discussion has been closed.