Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Addiction to no reload

I have started recently playing no reload playthroughs. I play with SCS Tactical and some Tweaks (for example PnP rules on armor effct on thief skills).
For the moment, this is not a great success to be honest ... I manage getting to Chapter 4 but have yet not managed to go through it. I play almost exclusively squishy halflings thieves.
But I have to admit that this is really addictive! I wonder if I should not try to do a reload witout SCS (but I love it so much ... this is really a game changer).
To play no reload is a brand new experience for me - it reminds me of the chills I had when I was playing DUngeon Master 35 years ago ....
And sometimes, I am not lucky ... when a lightning strike for example my PC and kill her right away ...

I do not play solo but take the first ability scores that I get and do not maximize HPs. Perhaps I am too ambitious and not realistic ?

I would welcome any tips !

JuliusBorisovAerakarDinoDin

Comments

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 839
    You certainly aren't the first to become addicted to this play style. My first tip would be to enjoy the resources on this site. The advice and guidance thread and the play-through thread. Both are wonderful resources. They are repositories of knowledge and camaraderie.

Other than that: don't feel bad about not succeeding at first. It takes many, many tries for most of us to get a success. To be honest, for a long time I didn't think I ever would, and to date I've only ever done it twice in BG1 - and that's with relatively benign SCS settings compared to a lot of players on here.

I think increasing the difficulty of your runs gradually is a good idea. No need to gimp character stats on your first tries, for instance. I also think your idea of playing some reload runs with SCS is a good idea. I believe this is especially true with BG2, which is imo much, much harder to do a no reload with than BG1. The problem with playing SCS for the first while is you really have no idea what you're facing. It's not realistic to expect success against unknown quantities like that. I'll speak for myself and say that I am literally incapable of completing a no reload run of BG2 with SCS. Now, if I completed a few 'training' runs with it I would increase the odds dramatically. The problem is, once you start no reload it's really hard to reload again, hahah. The struggle is real. :)

RigelJuliusBorisovGrond0Aerakar
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 176
    @OrlonKronsteen Thank you very very much for your message, and for the links to the two threads!
    I have just started playing SCS and just in BG1 - it is another world (my first time in Ulcaster was epic ...) and I cannot imagine what it will be in BG2. :#
    I will have a look at the two threads and will keep on training with my poor Halflings ...

OrlonKronsteenJuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 6,871
    Your chance of success will greatly depend on what you're trying to achieve. It may seem obvious, but if you're playing in a party you are far more likely to stay alive if you remain out of the action during fights. As a thief you can still participate fully in the group (opening locks, finding traps while invisible, scouting ahead for enemies, laying traps etc) and you might feel being more passive is worth it to allow you to progress further.

On the other hand of course you might feel that your reason for playing is to get the adrenaline pumping by laying your PC's life on the line and seeing how far you can push before the inevitable 'one risk too many' triggers. That's an entirely reasonable way to play - no-reload doesn't have to mean you're seriously trying to complete the whole game ...

OrlonKronsteenAerakarDinoDinRigel
  • shaldonshaldon Member Posts: 37
    You're a braver man than me! I too always play no reload - after first rerolling for a 90+, going solo to 32k XP via the Basilisk area and Beregost and surrounding quests, and then getting a full party all levelled up to that. I admit, the next 6 hours of gameplay after that can get a little dull once you hit 32K that early in the questline...

Killer for me is I always lose a much loved party member via my main or some other OP maxed out party member getting dire charmed and killing them!! You reap what you sow...

OrlonKronsteenGrond0Rigel
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 839
    Grond0 wrote: »
    On the other hand of course you might feel that your reason for playing is to get the adrenaline pumping by laying your PC's life on the line and seeing how far you can push before the inevitable 'one risk too many' triggers. That's an entirely reasonable way to play - no-reload doesn't have to mean you're seriously trying to complete the whole game ...

This. The important thing to remember - and something I almost lost sight of for a brief period when I was trying to keep up with the veterans in the play-through thread - is that it's all about having fun and playing the way you want.

Grond0AerakarRigelStummvonBordwehr
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,257
    Especially for BG1, roll with either a ranger or a second thief and make heavy use of stealth. Try and get as much stealth boosting gear as you can early on. I can't speak to SCS, which I know has alot of detect invis, but overall it's highly effective for preparing for each fight, helping to clear the large wilderness areas that dominate the first half of the game. I'd lean more ranger than second thief here, Kivan is highly effective at this alongside his solid damage potential with the bow.

As Grond0 said, really consider making a back-line main character, until at least you get one successful no-reload run in, if that's your goal. I'd add even skipping the TotSC content, I skipped it to achieve my first successful run.

As to the specifics of your post, make heavy use of potions. The game offers a decent amount of lightning resist, fire resist, etc type potions. As well as scrolls. Some of these have really long timers. If you're going into a fight where you know this is a risk, load up on protections. In fact, use the gold to buy decent amounts of protection items, such as those, potions of invisibility, healing potions. One thing players underestimate, I think, are the wide options in the stores for powerful consumable items. We normally avoid those, while saving up for elite gear, but those items can be critical in no-reload runs.

RigelAerakar