Skip to content

Graion's Soundsets for (BG/SoD/BG2/IWD/EET)EE 2.6+ (Last update: 2022-11-13)

GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
edited November 2022 in General Modding
Overview:
While the 2.6 patch added a lot of options to new voice mods, a lot of the prior voicemods also ended up broken.
I decided to rebuild some of the voicemods for the new patch. All lines are subtitled in all games supported.

Disclaimer:
This is not an update of the Awesome Soundsets but a clean-room rebuild to utilize the most possible of 2.6's additions. There might/will be differences in voice organization. The mods below will also not have each additional voiceset separated into a component, but only one component covering them all.

Currently available voicesets:
Planescape Torment Voice Pack version 1.1.2
Includes:
  • Annah-of-the-Shadows
  • Dak'kon
  • Fall-From-Grace
  • Ignus
  • Morte
  • Nodrom
  • The Nameless One
  • Vhailor

Icewind Dale Voice Pack version 1.0.2
Includes all 30 voicesets from Icewind Dale Complete.

Note for IWDEE owners:
IWDEE 2.6 only ships with 25 lines out of the original 40 of the classic IWD sets. This mod adds prefixed duplicate voices into the selection menu which does use all 40 original lines in their original roles.

Icewind Dale II Voice Pack version 1.0.4
Includes all 12 voicesets debuted in Icewind Dale II.

Baldur's Gate Voice Pack version 1.0.3
Includes all 18 voicesets from Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate II Voice Pack version 1.0.2
Includes all 9 voicesets from Baldur's Gate II.
Baldur's Gate II has a lot of voiceset inconsistencies.

Introduced by BioWare (based upon classic GOG version):
Battle Cry #2 (filename suffix 8), Battle Cry #3 (filename suffix 9), and Select #6 (filename suffix 0) are missing from the tlk file and from CHARSND.2DA. CHARSND.2DA lists Battle Cry #1 for the other two. These were included in this package but Female 3's responses might be inaccurate in text.
There is an Action #8 (filename suffix _) which is completely unreferenced in the game assets. So much that the EEs don't even support voicesets having a 8th simple action response. This was included as a rare action response.

Introduced by Beamdog:
EE 2.6 added it's new voicesets based upon their additional new voicesets in BG1 (Female Relaxed/Scholarly and Male Commanding/Jovial). Back during the creation of these new BG1 voicesets, Beamdog used filename suffix x and y as part of the annoyed selection responses, but these were used as common selects in BG2 already. BG2 does not even have annoyed selection responses by default (the annoyed responses are coming as action responses on NPCs but not part of PC voicesets). With 2.6 trying to merge these changes of BG1 into BG2, the default BG2 voicesets regressed further. These are worked around in this release via using nonstandard suffixes for these selection responses.

Baldur's Gate NPC Voice Pack version 0.3.0
Includes 30 Baldur's Gate NPC voicesets Details/list in spoiler.
Due to inconsistency between voicesets in the source games, not every voiceset covers every role. Discrepancies between characters are commonplace. Vanilia BG1 characters might have their sets extended with BG2 lines (marked with a + on the voice selection UI) while BGEE characters have SoD and BG1EE merged together because their BGEE voiceset contains the absolute minimum amount of lines.

Added in 0.3.0:
  • Schael Corwin (SoD)
  • Dynaheir (SoD)
  • Glint Gardnersonson (SoD)
  • Khalid (SoD)

Added in 0.2.2:
  • Jaheira (BG2)

Added in 0.2.0:
  • Kagain (BG1)
  • Viconia DeVir (BG1)
  • Jaheira (BG1)
  • Edwin Odesseiron (SoD)
  • Mazzy Fentan (BG2)
  • Garrick (BG1)
  • Minsc and Boo (BG1)
  • Kivan (BG1)
  • Caelar Argent (SoD)
  • Safana (BG1)
  • Quayle (BG1)
  • Shar-Teel Dosan (BG1)
  • Skie Silvershield (BG1)
  • Dorn Il-Khan (merged BG1EE and SoD set)
  • Edwin Odesseiron (BG1)

Added in 0.1.0:
  • Branwen (BG1+) (extended with lines from the BG2 tutorial)
  • Montaron (BG1)
  • Ajantis Ilvastarr (BG1)
  • Alora (BG1)
  • Xzar (BG1)
  • Khalid (BG1)
  • Imoen (BG1+) (partially extended with BG2 lines, mostly tutorial)
  • Tiax (BG1+) (extended with his BG2 appearence)
  • Eldoth Kron (BG1)
  • Faldorn (BG1)
  • Coran (BG1)
  • Dynaheir (BG1)
  • Xan (BG1+) (extended with lines from the BG2 tutorial)
  • Yeslick Orothiar (BG1)
  • Neera (merged BG1EE and SoD set)

Neverwinter Nights Voice Pack version 0.2.0
Added in 0.2.0:
  • Male, Sociopath (SOU)
  • Nathyrra (HOTU)
  • Malthia Drammar (SOU)
  • Female, Healer (HOTU)
  • Male, Mature Swashbuckler (TWD)
  • Female, Seductress (TWD)
  • Female, Adventurer (HOTU)
  • Daelan Red Tiger (TWD)
  • Daelan Red Tiger (HOTU)
  • Male, Boisterous Goodnatured (TWD)

Added in 0.1.0
  • Sharwyn (HOTU)
  • Sharwyn (TWD)
  • Aribeth de Tylmarande (TWD)
  • Male, Brash Persistent (TWD)
  • Pavel (TWD)
  • Male, Reserved Guardian (TWD)
  • Female, Feisty (SOU)
  • Male, Archer (HOTU)
  • Female, Quiet Leader (SOU)
  • Grimgnaw (TWD)
  • Linu La'neral (TWD)
  • Linu La'neral (HOTU)
  • Boddyknock Glinckle (TWD)
  • Female, Berserker (SOU)
  • Male, High-strung Evangelist (TWD)

Acknowledgements:
I would like to thank @smeagolheart for his work on Awesome Soundsets and his tutorial as part of it, which inspired me to pick up IE modding.
I would also like to thank @CamDawg for his EE 2.6 voice documentation.

Tools used in these mods:
WeiDU by Wes Weimer, the bigg and Wisp
NearInfinity by Jon Olav Hauglid, Argent77 and Astrobryguy
Infinity Engine Structures Description Project maintained by igi
Infinity Auto Packager by AlienQUAKE.
Infinity Sound Converter from TeamBG.

Roadmap:
PST(done)->IWD(done)->IWD2(done)->BG(PC done)->BG2(PC done)->BG(2)NPC(WIP)->NWN(WIP)->???

This is my first modding project on the Infinity Engine. Any feedback are welcome and encouraged.
Post edited by GraionDilach on
hybridialsmeagolheartenergisedcamelALIENHappyFunRunmorbicDan_PAerakarThoriumJuliusBorisovTressetArviaFenghoangGusindaTyonStummvonBordwehrtl1942Satrhan_Luke_AscalyonIseweinBlackraven

Comments

• HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    Can't wait for this to be complete, miss all the soundsets from the Awesome Soundsets mod! Thanks for doing this!
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    @HaHaCharade Thank you for your enthusiasm and sorry for responding with a letdown, but I won't recreate all of the Awesome Soundsets - there was also a Monkey Island release which I will not look at due to the fact that I have zero familiarity with those games. (I do have the series on GOG, I just never touched them, best friend persuaded me into buying them during a sale.)

There is a game series which I plan to look at to see how feasible that one is (hint: the series my avatar is from) and I might try voicing a set just for the heck of it - I actually have voiced in game modifications before although I haven't recorded anything since 2014 or so - but these all come after I finished IWD and IWD2 and decided what I want to give a try from BG1 and BG2. (Besides, knowing how well most of my auditions went back then, I can't imagine any set I'd voice as a popular one actually).
    HaHaCharade
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    @HaHaCharade Thank you for your enthusiasm and sorry for responding with a letdown, but I won't recreate all of the Awesome Soundsets - there was also a Monkey Island release which I will not look at due to the fact that I have zero familiarity with those games. (I do have the series on GOG, I just never touched them, best friend persuaded me into buying them during a sale.)

There is a game series which I plan to look at to see how feasible that one is (hint: the series my avatar is from) and I might try voicing a set just for the heck of it - I actually have voiced in game modifications before although I haven't recorded anything since 2014 or so - but these all come after I finished IWD and IWD2 and decided what I want to give a try from BG1 and BG2. (Besides, knowing how well most of my auditions went back then, I can't imagine any set I'd voice as a popular one actually).

Even the roadmap above is welcome! And if you're taking the time, why not include your own soundset? Its a way to leave your mark. I've thought about doing one, but I sound like the kid with acne whose voice breaks from the Simpsons. :smiley:
    GraionDilach
    edited May 2021
    Update: Fixed the Planescape Torment set to actually install properly. Sorry, newbie WeiDU mishap with the metadata on my part.

Also finished the IWD1 pack. I've considered duplicating an action voice for successful pickpocketing/trap set, but ultimately I decided against it because it was not part of IWD1. If there is interest in this, I might add it as an optional component in a followup release.

EDIT: And IWD2 is also finished with the same disclaimer.
    morbicThoriumJuliusBorisovAllanon81
  • HappyFunRunHappyFunRun Member Posts: 25
    Dude, this is incredible! Thank you so much for the time and effort for fixing this and making it even better than ever! You have my respect!
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291
    Just installed the IWD voices into BGEE and checked some of them out. I like that you've prefixed them in the list nice and neat, it's not as jarring as the Awesome Soundset mod's method was. The voice sets were the only thing that didn't work that I use since I updated so thanks a lot for doing something about that so quickly.
    GraionDilach
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    This is an excellent mod, thank you so much, @GraionDilach! I know players also requested BG1 soundsets in BG2 and vice versa. Would it be something you're also able to do?
    GraionDilach
    @JuliusBorisov Ofcourse, I just felt that IWD is more requested when I looked around on this forum (and the BG1 sets are (partially?) ported into BG2 with EET which I tend to play, although I have not checked yet if 2.6 broke that part of EET). I've already started my preparations for the BG1 voicesets (including NPCs) but there will be some RL stuff taking my time away during the week so dunno when can I wrap those up. I also probably separate the PCs and NPCs out and concentrate to the PC voices first then, because the NPC voiceovers are more complicated to track than how I remembered.
    JuliusBorisov
    Updated Planescape Torment pack to not get mixed into among my other voicemods. This probably needs an uninstall of the older version then installing the newer version. If you don't mind the grouping mishap, there is no reason to update anyway.

Released the BG1 PC voicemod.
    Allanon81JuliusBorisov
    edited May 2021
    Added the BG2 set.

@JuliusBorisov I know you have an internal bug for 2.6 regressing the BG2 voices since you mentioned this as a known issue in the 2.6.5 patch announcement. Could you please update your internal ticket with the information from https://github.com/GraionDilach/Baldurs-Gate-II-Voice-Pack-for-EE-2.6#limitationsnotes---disclaimer (EDIT: I've added this info to my main post in a spolier tag as well)? I think this might be helpful for considering a solution. Although I don't know if the translation dubs also dubbed the additional 4 responses missing from the tlk.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ThoriumThorium Member Posts: 36
    @GraionDilach Thanks for this awesome mod :)

I have one bug report: I am using IWD2 voice pack 1.0.0 in IWD:EE 2.6.5.0. The soundset "IWD2: Female Monk" plays right in character creation screen, but once you start playing, the soundset seems to be using sounds from "IWD2: Female Barbarian" (subtitles are from female monk though). This problem concerns only this one soundset: the other soundsets are working fine.
    GraionDilach
    edited May 2021
    @Thorium Whoops, yes, I made a typo in the texts there. Fixed with 1.0.1 1.0.2, thank you for the report!
    Thorium
  • royalprotectorroyalprotector Member Posts: 42
    6190gy6zkffx.png

I tried installing the PST pack in BG2EE, and I was met with this error. Any idea why that might be?
    GraionDilach
    edited May 2021
    @royalprotector Yes, fixed with a new build now.

TL;DR: I'm an idiot.

I've tried to set up a tidy informative WeiDU mod header in 1.0.1. My mistake was that I assumed these metadata flags there act like an INI tags where the order does not matter, so when the header broke in 1.0.1, I just deleted one line and locally mixed up the folders which made it passed my validation. So I released 1.0.2... which was still broken with your bug but I didn't noticed and when I did the 1.1.0 update, I didn't verified it because I didn't touched this part and I assumed it works.

The other voicesets weren't affected because at one point during the IWD1 mod I apparently corrected the order of the metadata flags (which I didn't backported) and all of my voiceset mods are started from the prior one so this really flew under the radar. Sorry.

======

I've also silently updated the IWD2 mod because I accidentally added the damage transciptions upon the Female Bard.
    royalprotector
    That's all right, thank you very much for your work!
    GraionDilachTimbo0o0o0
    By the way, any plans to recreate the NWN and NWN2 soundsets? I really like those.
    I don't have NWN2 atm but I think I wishlisted it on GoG at one point.

I do have NWN1 as part of a Beamdog GoG bundle. I've played 10 minutes with it and got turned off quickly (I'm not fond of that trend of the early 2000s 3D game UIs where transparency was abused to give a better view and neglect actual UI design on the screen) but I did notice there is an excessive amount of available voice options compared to BG. I haven't looked at the internal structure yet to know how do the player voicesets work in that game yet.

On the other hand, most of the game kit/tweak mods I play with received an update to make them compatible with 2.6, so I think after I release an initial BGNPC package (which might not cover everyone at first, I'll see when will I be satisfied with the list, Awesome Soundsets were missing Branwen and Montaron as well afterall), I'll restart my IWD1 run.

Depending on how these go, NWN is a weak maybe currently (keep in mind that the series my avatar's from takes more priority for me than NWN anyway) but this can and probably will change later on the road.
    royalprotector
    Took me way longer than expected (partially because I started the IWD run already) but I've managed to release a starting point for the NPC VO pack (Awesome Soundsets also had 15 voiceovers in it's BG1 NPC pack which is why I chose this amount for start). I intend to upload a new version of that mod every time I have added 5 sets.
    Timbo0o0o0JuliusBorisov
  • ggallegherggallegher Member Posts: 78
    @GraionDilach I gave converting this soundset to your format a shot. Everything seems to work fine, except for the use of the pretty name function. The name for each soundset is being presented in the game as their filename from the .tp2 ("VOFM1","VOFM2", etcetera) rather than the pretty name from the associated STR_REF in the setup.tra file ("Shaunzy: Male CN", "Shaunzy: Male LG", etcetera).

It should be attached to this post. If you have the time and the inclination, any idea what's preventing the pretty name from being used?
    GraionDilach
    edited May 2021
    @ggallegher You have VOFms and the small-case m is your cause of the issue. From my experiences, the voice selection menu is full UPPERCASE, and that is a case-sensitive comparison with the CHARSND.2DA header. A simple replace of VOFm to VOFM in the tp2 got it working for me.

You're also including _ suffixed voices but you're not using those, because those follow the BG2 semantics so you might probably want to go over them to follow my methods and/or include in the tp2. The resulting CHARSND.2DA coloumns look a bit inconsistent to me but I haven't checked if that's due to missing files in the source or you forgot to include other lines.

Regardless, nice choice. I've toyed with the idea of trying to ask the creator to offer my help on updating those to this format two weeks ago but I've got more than enough on my plate at the moment to take any action. :sweat_smile:
    ggallegher
    @GraionDilach Thanks for taking a look. Changing the lower case "m" to upper case did indeed work. For anyone else interested, attached should be the finished file, with the actual pretty names displaying in the game's voice selection screen ("Shaunzy: Male Chaotic Neutral", etcetera).

The inconsistent CHARSND.2DA might be because the voicepack lacks lines for certain voicesets. For example, the Barbarian voiceset doesn't have lines for laying traps, being in cities or stealthing.

I wasn't able to figure out where the _ suffixed voice files were supposed to be referenced, from studying the cd_add_soundset.tph file in your Baldur's Gate voicepack. They sounded like action responses, so were assigned to the first action response that didn't already have a line assigned, cd_action_rare3 ("a_"). Guess that's wrong.
    GraionDilachTyon
    edited May 2021
    ggallegher wrote: »
    I wasn't able to figure out where the _ suffixed voice files were supposed to be referenced, from studying the cd_add_soundset.tph file in your Baldur's Gate voicepack. They sounded like action responses, so were assigned to the first action response that didn't already have a line assigned, cd_action_rare3 ("a_"). Guess that's wrong.

No, sorry, that's completely right and you made a good call there. I only made a quick glimpse to the files this morning and ended up overlooking that you changed the a_ suffix to a simple _. I was wrong with assuming such a change didn't happen. Since you kept the length of the filenames, your _ suffix can even stay along with the others in the sounds folder even.
    Updated the BGNPC pack with another 15 sets. Now it covers all the Bioware BG1 characters.
    JuliusBorisovTyon
  • TyonTyon Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for putting these together Graion. They're great.

I followed your method and made another voice set for people to use. It's the elven male experienced sounds from Dragon Age:Origins. Voiced by Mark Meer.
    GraionDilachroyalprotectorJuliusBorisov
  • WiredTexanWiredTexan Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2021
    Thank you for getting this out. I really enjoy using Annah's voice for a rogue and Vhailor's for a Paladin. I even create a Mercykiller kit for Vhailor so he can be Lawful Neutral. The IWD soundsets are imho better overall then BGEE. Thanks again!
    GraionDilach
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    @GraionDilach Thank you for this! I was wondering if you'll be adding the NWN2 soundset located here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65014/nwn2-soundsets-for-bgee-bg2ee-and-iwdee
    No plans for NWN2 at the moment and if I work on that, I'll restart from scratch instead of reworking another mod. I've taken a glimpse to NWN1 since May and just judging by that one alone I'd expect NWN2 voicesets able to cover at least 40 actions out of the available 69 (and I wouldn't be surprised if the final amount would be closer to the latter than the former) which puts that old implementation having 32 lines as maximum very thin (no offense to @AstroBryGuy though, he did a great job back then and couldn't have known when he was concentrating on these soundset mods that an EE patch will massively change things in that area).
    @GraionDilach I've completed soundsets for PC and NPC voices for both NWN and NWN2 using your mod as a framework. As you mentioned, the actions that are covered can result in some sets being a bit thin, and result in choices like using the NWN fear response for Infinity Engine's death of a party member, when the new soundset structure now has an entry for the former.

They're a bit bugged in that when displayed in the game for selection, the soundsets are scattered around rather than clustered together. i.e. the list of sounds to select, instead of being ordered like this:

Female 1
    Female 2
    etcetera

Will get scrambled into:

NWN: Boddynock Glinkle
    NWN: Aribeth de Tylmarande
    Female 1
    NWN: Daelan Red Tiger
    etcetera

However, all of the subtitles are written for every line, so this should constitute a substantial contribution.
    If you're interested in using them to get a jumpstart, they should be available to download from:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4hs99lmmfjdunxt/zg-nwn-voices-1.0.0.zip?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7uau9v6pvuejq7m/zg-nwn2-voices-1.0.0.zip?dl=0
    GraionDilachroyalprotector
    @ggallegher Do you have a document/link how to collect/find the files in NWN2? I know https://nwn.wiki/display/NWN1/Voicesets+or+Soundsets covers everything required for NWN1 (I even have it bookmarked, although now that I'm rereading it, I presume the end result will be kinda imbalanced anyway) but a counterpart doc would be more welcome than examples.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @GraionDilach I've been wondering, is it possible to add also voice packs in different languages (PST, IWDEE, NWN etc) or this mod is English-only?