Skip to content

Love the update, hate the new font.

ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
How do I change it back to the original font, or at least to something that looks similar?
Post edited by ForSerious on

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I think the font is actually about 1000% easier on the eyes, though I certainly wouldn't be opposed to offering the old one as an option.
  • ForSeriousForSerious Member Posts: 446
    I admit, I came whining right over here and made this post without doing anything more than search this forum to see if this exact post had already been made. I'll take the time to research better what can be done. The update changes log made it sound, to me, like we would be able to use whatever font we fancy that happens to be a true type font.
    If that's the case, I'm sure I can find something monospaced and command prompt style that will suite me.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    What do you not like in the font? Can you elaborate?
    edited May 2021
    Yes I can: The menu font has misaligned number heights. That is a sin.
    For the other fonts, I just don't like that they changed, but also I never liked the way the original font looked with the 'use high resolution font' option checked.

Alrighty, so, in the steam ovr folder there are four ttf files:
    bitter_med.ttf — Dialog Window and chat windows.
    merriw_reg.ttf — Floating chat text font.
    mordred_bold.ttf — Menu font. Floating status text font. (Ex: *Sneak Attack*)
    tnr.ttf — No idea. I changed it to something distinct and have not seen it show up yet.

Naming any true type font file to one of these names and placing it in the override folder works... to an extent. You have to enable 'use high resolution font' or the font will be shrunk.
    Post edited by ForSerious on
  • AspirinsmurfAspirinsmurf Member Posts: 9
    edited May 2021
    ForSerious wrote: »
    Yes I can: The menu font has misaligned number heights. That is a sin.

I concur with this opinion. Old style numerals are not appropriate for displaying tabular data, as in a character sheet. They should only be used in running paragraphs and title-cased headers. Even then, I'd caution against their use for technical writing at all.
    I am super biased toward monospaced fonts designed for programming. I really appreciate being able to glance and identify the characters: 'Il1|' correctly. So I have now overridden the fonts with JetBrainsMono-Regular. (It can be found in the install folder after installing the community edition of Intellij)

I've noticed that the ~ console font has not been overridden, but that's okay because it's good looking font to my eyes.
  • Ɲ????Ʀ????Ɲ????Ʀ???? Member Posts: 29
    edited May 2021
    Here are v8193.23 default fonts from /ovr split and already renamed - just throw them in your override folder in documents. Here are Example Pics of each font.

I'd imagine you can do the same with most other ttf fonts you can find other places.

Edit: I also don't care for the mordred font used because of misaligned numbers in chat and the character record. completely subjective but Merriweather and bitter look best to me. Also please bring back brawler, the original default font, at least as an option.

Edit2: These are just the defaults that are already in NWNEE. Brawler not included. You could possibly even mix and match. From the fonts wiki info, though this may have changed to some degree with v8193.23, file names for instance:

bitter_reg.ttf - Bitter Regular Font
    "High Resolution" font (if the "High Resolution Font" game option is ticked), realistically "serif font" toggle - this is a serif font. Text font for conversations, the PC's text panels and text input, bottom part of the Character Sheet, Chooser/Creator menus.

merriw_reg.ttf - Merriweather Regular Font
    "Low resolution" font (if the "High Resolution Font" game option is unticked), realistically a "serif font" toggle - this is sans serif.Classic NWN style and used for conversations, the PC's text panels and text input, bottom part of the Character Sheet, Chooser/Creator menus.

mordred_bold.ttf - Mordred Bold Font
    "Neverwinter" font, ie things like the Main Menu, Journal, Character Sheet, Feat and Spell descriptions, and the Examine panel.

tnr.ttf - Times New Roman Regular Font
    Times New Roman not sure where it is used in game.

brawler_reg.ttf - Brawler Font
    Old font not used in the game anymore. Replaced by Bitter since it used to be the "High Resolution Font" in preview.

Post edited by Ɲ????Ʀ???? on
    Ohhh. You had me thinking that someone had made the original fnt_dialog16x16.tga into a ttf file and you included that in that rar file.
    I've looked into doing something similar before, but it turned into more work than I was willing to go into at the time.
    ForSerious wrote: »
    Ohhh. You had me thinking that someone had made the original fnt_dialog16x16.tga into a ttf file and you included that in that rar file.
    I've looked into doing something similar before, but it turned into more work than I was willing to go into at the time.

No intention of misdirection sorry :/. They're just the defaults pulled from /ovr in install folder and split/renamed individually so each font shows everywhere. Just a quick fix for those that really hate misaligned numbers in the new default.

If you'd like other options many OSes, including windows, have a large amount of ttf fonts\collections and otf which are open type fonts. Might need conversion. Not looked into. No font guru here either. ;)

The old way of overriding fonts with .tga etc supposedly no longer works. Not tried the old way.
    Also please bring back brawler
    I have a font called Browallia New in my collection of fonts from Windows 95 and on. I'm going to try it out and see if it's close enough.
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    edited May 2021
    Here are v8193.23 default fonts from /ovr split and already renamed - just throw them in your override folder in documents. Here are Example Pics of each font.

I'd imagine you can do the same with most other ttf fonts you can find other places.

Edit: I also don't care for the mordred font used because of misaligned numbers in chat and the character record. completely subjective but Merriweather and bitter look best to me. Also please bring back brawler, the original default font, at least as an option.

Thanks for sharing the fonts.

I'm using Reborn UI (really like it) and your bitter mordred_bold.ttf, with the 1.5 UI scale available now, finally I have the UI that perfectly suits my need now.
    otkbck5mknvk.jpg
    edited May 2021
    marcnivar wrote: »

Thanks for sharing the fonts.

I'm using Reborn UI (really like it) and your bitter mordred_bold.ttf, with the 1.5 UI scale available now, finally I have the UI that perfectly suits my need now.
    otkbck5mknvk.jpg

They're just the defaults already included in the game, renamed to match appropriate files, but I'm glad they're helpful. I edited previous post to give more info from wiki. You could possibly mix and match if desired.

The Reborn UI is quite nice and hope work continues on it and others pick up the reigns and do similar UI redesigns.
  • AspirinsmurfAspirinsmurf Member Posts: 9
    Is it possible to get the combat log and the chat in different fonts? I think I'd prefer a serif font for the former and a non-serif for the latter.
    Is it possible to get the combat log and the chat in different fonts? I think I'd prefer a serif font for the former and a non-serif for the latter.

I don't believe so since they share the same font file, at least not with this method.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 330
    @ForSerious Here’s some fonts to get your nerd on:
    https://www.kirith.com/tsr-fonts/
    @Allanon81 Wow thanks! That site is pure gold.
  • VerinVerin Member Posts: 19

Edit2: These are just the defaults that are already in NWNEE. Brawler not included. You could possibly even mix and match. From the fonts wiki info, though this may have changed to some degree with v8193.23, file names for instance:

bitter_reg.ttf - Bitter Regular Font
    "High Resolution" font (if the "High Resolution Font" game option is ticked), realistically "serif font" toggle - this is a serif font. Text font for conversations, the PC's text panels and text input, bottom part of the Character Sheet, Chooser/Creator menus.

merriw_reg.ttf - Merriweather Regular Font
    "Low resolution" font (if the "High Resolution Font" game option is unticked), realistically a "serif font" toggle - this is sans serif.Classic NWN style and used for conversations, the PC's text panels and text input, bottom part of the Character Sheet, Chooser/Creator menus.

mordred_bold.ttf - Mordred Bold Font
    "Neverwinter" font, ie things like the Main Menu, Journal, Character Sheet, Feat and Spell descriptions, and the Examine panel.

tnr.ttf - Times New Roman Regular Font
    Times New Roman not sure where it is used in game.

brawler_reg.ttf - Brawler Font
    Old font not used in the game anymore. Replaced by Bitter since it used to be the "High Resolution Font" in preview.

Ok, bear with me, please, because I ma dense.

So, in order to have a game that has fonts like the pre update, which font from that rar file I shoudl put where?
    edited May 2021
    We haven't got that far. The original fonts were in tga picture files. Though it is possible to make a ttf file out of them, it's a lot more involved than most other file conversions.
  • VerinVerin Member Posts: 19
    Thanks, we shall have to wait, then, and see.
    Just waiting for that font goodness to land on mobile. Already got my eyes ? set on a couple.
    edited May 2021
    Allanon81 wrote: »
    @ForSerious Here’s some fonts to get your nerd on:
    https://www.kirith.com/tsr-fonts/

Thanks for the link! saw TSR and took me immediately back many years. :)
    If you'd like other options many OSes, including windows, have a large amount of ttf fonts\collections and otf which are open type fonts.

Just wanted to report, everyone of these that I've tried from Win 10 works fine. High Res Font option isn't needed either, many parts of the UI seem to scale to the size of the fonts themselves to a degree. Note that different fonts(even ttf) tend to vary in size. Meaning size 8 for one font is not necessarily the same size as size 8 for another font.

Verin wrote: »
    Ok, bear with me, please, because I ma dense.

So, in order to have a game that has fonts like the pre update, which font from that rar file I shoudl put where?

The closest is probably Bitter or Merriweather. The old brawler font isn't available as a .ttf in the /ovr game files which is why I noted its not in the .rar file.

The .tgas could likely be extracted and turned into a .ttf to be used in this manner but not available yet. You have a ton of options now available to you as far as fonts go and I wouldn't limit myself to just that one. True Type and Open type fonts have been around for quite a long time and there are a ton on the web.

The easiest way to do this as an example is to throw it in your override folder in documents for your Operating System after you rename them to match appropriate file names.

(For Windows 10) - < C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/Documents/Neverwinter Nights/override/file.ttf >
    (Or if using OneDrive) - < C:/Users/YOURUSERNAME/OneDrive/Documents/Neverwinter Nights/override/file.ttf >
    to override them.

Also if you don't wish to clutter your override folder you can use the development folder as it works too. Just dont forget that you placed them there as Dev folder overrides everything even the things placed in override folder.

True Type and Open type fonts have been around for quite a long time and there are a ton on the web.
    Let me just add a warning that most of the font sites I have tried to get fonts from, look and act like the same sites that malware and viruses come from.

Experimenting with different fonts is fun, though it is hard to make the decision. As someone with older eyes and there are lot of words to read in this game, generally I prefer bigger and bold font but it won't look nice in the UI if it is too big. Not sure if anyone is also customizing the font in your game. Any good options to share?
    q2yyq3gubpph.jpg
    kn6b0oihaqwv.jpg
    oe8dgpjoz39l.jpg
    09i3lwg1rvih.jpg
    08w2nywz9nzm.jpg
    @marcnivar What font you use there? It’s ?
    @marcnivar What font you use there? It’s ?

These are the fonts I used for experiments.

I will post later for how is my final UI customization.
    Finally I got what I want:

Reborn UI is a must to me. I hope I can use the UI scale of 1.3 (1.5 still feel slightly bigger to me), but the font size of 1.3 is too small. If I use bigger bold font types, the words do not fit so nicely in to the small square shape dialogue box top left corner as what vanilla game has. The dialog box from Reborn UI is too big for me, I don't like something covers almost top half of my screen (I can't even see the dragon face!). Luckily, I found "Larger Portrait Boxes (700-900P)" which solved my issues. Now I can use reborn UI, 1.3 scale, bigger bold font, and bigger portrait size! (I like bigger portrait).

If you like these screenshots, you may try what I did.
    0yn1d3l3ets0.jpg
    iaalxg2vtz3c.jpg
    jaebk2yyjr57.jpg
    v97bryl39sbx.jpg
    doe29xdo5mc6.jpg
    9n473311kh8h.jpg
    nlwusyrmcuub.jpg
    pmng2jxd2yml.jpg

1. Download and install Reborn UI.
    2. Download and install larger portrait boxes:
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/other/gui/larger-portrait-boxes-700-900p
    3. Use the fonts I uploaded here.

edited June 2021
    marcnivar wrote: »
    Reborn UI is a must to me. The dialog box from Reborn UI is too big for me, I don't like something covers almost top half of my screen

Yep, Reborn was bugging me too with the dialog box. I’m playing on Mobile. Your link fixed it.

Have to wait to try your fonts, not yet usable on Mobile.
    edited June 2021
    Now I just need a semi transparent smaller chat bar…
    Now I just need a semi transparent smaller chat bar…

Do you mean the bar with battle logs? Actually I hope it can be as small as the one We have in multiplayer...
    Ever tried right clicking on it?