Skip to content

No XP gain for panicked characters' kills.

VerticorVerticor Member Posts: 119
Right, in my current run, Minsc panicked against the Iron Golem in the De'Arnise Keep. Nevertheless, he still got the killing stroke. No XP for the party for that one, not even an honourable mention as the strongest enemy killed in his stats.

Is that intentional?

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    If noticed that when a stunned or mazed character kills a monster, the experience is delayed until they regain control. But permanently losing it? That shouldn't happen, unless the killer dies/disappears before getting credit.

Some monsters don't get credited properly in the individual's stats; that usually happens with scripts that trigger on a creature's death. Vampires are particularly susceptible, for example. The golems in the keep have no such scripts, so they should be counted reliably.

All this knowledge comes from my recent run, in which I tracked kills throughout the game.
  • VerticorVerticor Member Posts: 119
    Well, this is my first "thing" since stepping out of Irenicus' dungeon. It's the most powerful enemy I've encountered so far. He went one on one with it. Before that, his most poverful kill was a Mephit Portal. I'm gonna make a wild assumption that a Golem is a step up on the challenge meter compared to that.

Anyways, he panicked after taking a hit that brought him down to 6 HP or so, but he still ticked off the fatal blow against it, before he bolted.

No one simply got any XP for it. Nothing was apparently registered.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Oh, it definitely should be his top kill. The mephit portals are worth 5000, while the iron golem is worth 13000 (The stone and clay golems are worth 8000 each, while the flesh golems are a mere 2000). I'm just going over the usual reasons why something would go wrong, and this doesn't fit. Everything says this should be credited (eventually, at least) and should be his top kill. Unless he died after panicking, from the poison in that golem's gas cloud. That might permanently lose the XP, if it was delayed by the failed morale check.

That "top kill" is entirely based on XP. Kill anything worth strictly more XP than anything that character has killed before, and it updates.
    Only kills done directly by the character count toward that character's stats. Kills by summons, including illusionary clones (Project Image, Simulacrum) grant XP but don't go into any party member's stats.
    He didn't die. Close to it, but still.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We can't work without a repro or screenshots of how the combat ended (with the combat log shown) at least.
    Yeah... about that...
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited May 2021
    Is this Morale Failure: Panic, or magical Panic/Fear?

If he's attacking through magical Panic/Fear, then there is a problem with his AI scripts. Nevertheless, EXP should always be rewarded.

If he's suffering from Morale Failure, only the "berserk" mode should be capable of attacking, "panic" and "running" should not be able to attack. If he did manage a kill while suffering from Morale Failure, either through delayed/ongoing damage or through Morale Failure:Berserk, you will not be rewarded EXP or vanquished stats, which goes hand-in-hand with it not causing reputation loss, which is likely the intended reason. Though again you should gain the exp and rep loss once you regain control, however, that can be circumvented if you save/reload while they are still suffering morale failure.
    Morale failure from damage. He was hit and panicked. Apparently a fraction of time before he delivered the killing blow.

He got nothing after regaining his morale.