Skip to content

Noober's Game

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Zaghoul wrote: »
    3. Climb into the branches directly above the road.

You easily make your way into the branches and wait silently. In a few minutes, you see two men walk into view. They are clad in chain mail and carry swords and shields. You recognize them as the guards of the noble who cheated you. They are boasting of their recent exploits with a local barmaid and do not notice you.

You wait until they pass, then drop noiselessly behind them, quickly sliding your blade into a weak spot in one of the guard's armor. His lung punctured, he drops noiselessly to the ground.

A second later, the second guard notices that his companion is missing and turns, but he is too slow. You lunge at him and bury your short sword in his exposed neck before he can ready his guard. You quickly conceal the bodies and all signs of the struggle as best you can.

Having dealt with the guards, you continue your journey to Galenwood, treading a little more carefully and keeping an ear to the wind and an eye on your back. After a few uneventful hours of travel, you arrive at the gates of the small town and make your way discreetly to the town square.

You stand in the bustling town square of Galenwood. To the north is a large house which matches the description of the merchant's house in the documents. To the south is a temple of Helm. To the east is a tavern, and beside the tavern is an alley. A man dressed in fine blue clothes can be seen going from the merchant's house to the alley and back, periodically.

Responses:
    1. Enter the temple of Helm.
    2. Enter the tavern.
    3. Follow the finely dressed man to the alley.
    4. Approach the merchant's house.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938

You wait until the man has his back turned and then slip in the alley behind him. He goes to the back of the tavern and bends over a box, fumbling with the contents. You have a chance to act while his attention is distracted.

Responses:
    1. Attempt to pick his pockets.
    2. Return to the town square.

You easily slip your hands in the distracted man's various pockets, but are unable to notice anything of value before you must move back to the town square to avoid attracting attention. Perhaps if you knew what you were looking for, you could try again later.

You stand in the bustling town square of Galenwood. To the north is a large house which matches the description of the merchant's house in the documents. To the south is a temple of Helm. To the east is a tavern, and beside the tavern is an alley. A man dressed in fine blue clothes can be seen going from the merchant's house to the alley and back, periodically.

Responses:
    2. Enter the tavern.
    2. Enter the tavern.
    2. Enter the tavern.

Elegant appointments brighten the interior of this tavern. Several attractive young barmaids are busy serving ale and food to patrons in the crowded common room. In one corner, you see a man in chain mail armor emblazoned with a symbol that you noticed on the large house on the north side of the square.

Responses:
    1. Offer to buy a drink for one of the barmaids.
    2. Buy a drink for the man in chain mail armor.
    3. Return outside.

The man looks up at you angrily until he sees the flagon of ale in your hand. "Aye, now you're speaking my language. Cheers, mate." He takes the ale and starts drinking. Four flagons later, he starts talking. "Gave my whole life to that heartless wretch, working in his house, guarding his possessions."

"Then one day, he up and fires me just to save a few gold coins. I was the one who designed the trap to guard his most prized possession, that damned ring of his. Put it right above the chandelier where nobody'd think to look. Can't believe he fired me."

"Got half a mind to steal the ring myself. Since I know about the trap in the chandelier, I only need to get past the guard at the front door and then get the key to the lock and the ring will be mine." The man sways a second after speaking, then falls snoring to the table, spilling the rest of the ale.

Responses:
    2. Return outside.

The young girl smiles an enchantingly pretty smile, then speaks with the most hideous voice you have ever heard in your entire life. "Don't mind if I do, love. Me bum's burnin' from all this standin'. Makes me arse twitch, ya know?"

The girl sits heavily and downs the entire mug in one swallow, then belches loudly. "Aye, that's good ale. Heh, reminds me of that time when summat else bought me an ale. That guard outside the manor house, ya know? He bought me one to keep me quiet."

"Ya see, I was sittin' in the outhouse and heard that good-lookin' guard talkin' to the lady of the manor. Looked out the peephole I did, and saw her give him this locket, had their names engraved on it. When he found out I knew, he bought me drinks to get me fuddled. Didn't work though. Remembered the whole thing."

Responses:
    1. Buy a drink for the man in chain mail armor.
    2. Return outside.
    2. Return outside.
    2. Return outside.

Responses:
    2. Enter the tavern.

And for the first time, this isn't an exact recapitulation of the first thief attempt.

The interior of the temple is dappled in subtle shades of blue and amber as the sunlight filters in through the ornate stained glass windows of the temple. To your left, several people are praying fervently. At the altar, an acolyte appears to be tending to temple duties.

Responses:
    1. Move closer and listen to the prayers.
    2. Approach the acolyte.
    3. Return outside.

You look up and make a show of admiring the intricate carvings on the ceiling as you slowly wander within hearing of the people's prayers. You make out a few words.

...And I pray that you will forgive him for his sins. He is just a simple guard and very handsome. It isn't any fault of his own that the rich merchant's wife fell in love with him and gave him the locket with their names inscribed upon it... You make note of the information for future use.

Responses:
    1. Approach the acolyte.
    2. Return outside.
    1. Approach the acolyte.
    1. Approach the acolyte.

The young acolyte appears startled as you approach. Your sharp and well-trained eyes see his hands quickly draw back from the temple's offering box. The acolyte follows your gaze, and the expression of horror and surprise on his face tells you he is at your mercy.

He begins to speak as his shock subsides. "I... I know things. I know people. I can tell you anything, just... just don't tell the priest! Oh, don't tell Father McNeil!"

"The manor house... well... it's owned by Phineas Undergood. He's rich. The richest man in a hundred leagues and more. His steward, Alder Lathel, carries the key to his most prized possession. Alder is always dressed in blue and can be found most days running errands to the tavern."

Responses:
    2. Return outside.
  • BlackravenBlackraven Member Posts: 3,486
    2. Return outside.
    Blackraven wrote: »
    2. Return outside.

Responses:
    2. Enter the tavern.

You wait until the man has his back turned and then slip in the alley behind him. He goes to the back of the tavern and bends over a box, fumbling with the contents. You have a chance to act while his attention is distracted.

Responses:
    2. Return to the town square.

Your trained hands quickly locate the key in the man's pocket and remove it undetected. You complete the job almost without breaking stride and return to the town square before you attract any attention.

Responses:
    2. Enter the tavern.

The order of operations matters.

You approach the richly decorated house and are promptly halted by a tall and handsome guard at the front door. "Halt. What business do you have with the Undergood Estate?" You realize that if you manage to enter the house, you will not be able to leave and then reenter. You have only one chance once inside.

Responses:
    1. Claim to be a safe inspector sent for by the master of the house.
    2. Attempt to overpower the guard.
    3. Blackmail the guard with the information about his affair with his master's wife.
    4. Return to the town square.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    3. Blackmail the guard with the information about his affair with his master's wife.
    Grond0 wrote: »

The large man's rugged face pales, and his eyes grow wide. His right hand instinctively clutches at something just below the collar of his tunic. His eyes darting left and right, he silently moves aside, allowing you to pass.

You find yourself in the grand entrance of the elegant mansion. Referring to your papers, you find the hallway that leads to the mansion's safe room. It is a long corridor with a painting on the left side, a chandelier hanging from the ceiling, a rug on the floor, and a statue on the right side.

Responses:
    1. Proceed to the door of the safe room.
    2. Check the painting for a trap.
    3. Check the chandelier for a trap.
    4. Check the rug for a trap.
    5. Check the statue for a trap.
    3. Check the chandelier for a trap.