Skip to content

[Mod][SoD] Road to Discovery ** SoD Spoiler! **

jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
edited January 2023 in BG:EE Mods
Road to Discovery for BG:SoD and EET:SoD

This Tweak Mod is for the SoD campaign (also with native EET compatibility).
It serves two purposes.

For players, this mod aims to make the coalition forces aware of Caelar's and Hephernaan's plans with focus on the actual important aim and danger of the crusade, and give reply options with which the PC can inform the coalition forces about what is going on. For this, all bits and pieces of information the PC can gather along the campaign are tracked and evaluated. Journal entries give an overview on what information the PC already gathered.
All in all, this mod is supposed to connect the dots so the PC is able to tell about all the inside info they gathered as well as have the coalition officers acknowledge and react to the actual danger(s).

For modders, this mod introduces a variable-based tracking system about the different levels of knowledge the PC and the coalition officers gain throughout the campaign, which could be used for own mods, e.g. for fine tuning mod NPCs reactions to the depths of gained information about Caelar, Hephernaan, and the crusade, but also the Hooded Man's appearances. Also, own reaction mods based on any components of Road to Discovery can be developped by whoever wants to, as long as those mods make (components of) RtD a prerequisite and do not include changed content of this mod nor tweak any of RtD original writing.

The mod is modular so every player as well as modder can chose how much changes and content they want to see/use.

The following lists the information from the SoD campaign this mod is considering. For detailed description of the used variables and the exact definition of the tracked infomation see below:
-What is the main purpose of the crusade - what is Caelar proclaiming, and what is it really?
-What truth lies in Caelar's proclamation - and her crusaders' belief - that Caelar protects the crusade with "divine powers of the pantheon"?
-What is the background of Caelar's life and family, and how does it influence her motives?
-Is Caelar a Bhaal Spawn?
-Caelar is being betrayed? By who?
-What are Hephernaan's plans?
-The Hooded Man is stalking the PC, and why?
-What does Caelar and Hephernaan want with the PC?
-What was the attack in the palace with the weak poison for?

DESCRIPTION OF COMPONENTS

The mod consists of 9 components, most of them optional.

1 Add Stat-Based Observations and Quest Options from Lauriel's Themed Tweaks Mod
This imports the component "Add Stat-Based Observations and Quest Options" from Lauriel's Themed Tweaks Mod. Install this if you want more depth and consistent reactions to the following ingame occurrences with regard to making the gained information aware to the group:
- Duke Jannath's info about weak poison of Caelar's palace assassins (and all later reply options about Caelar trying to have the PC killed in the palace): PC realizes the attack was not meant to kill;
- treatise about portal below Dragonspear Castle: reactions from NPCs to the revelations about the portal beneath Dragonspear Castle and how to open it;
- have Edwin identify Hephernaan (including his plans) in the scry pool before having met him in persona;
- make the Dukes question the fallen paladin Dauston to learn more about Caelar's background - and motives.
-The component also adds some more reply options at appropriate places to reflect the PC's experiences, e.g. tell the Dukes after meeting the Hooded Man inside the palace.
If the component is installed via Themed Tweaks, it will be skipped here.
This component is optional.
Note: This component works without any of the other components. Component 2 "Main Component" will also provide the needed basic tracking variables for the listed ingame occurrences in case this component is not installed. Installing component 1 (or the same component of Themed Tweaks) is recommended for the whole ingame experience.

2 Main Component: Tracking System
Component 2 is the main component of Road to Discovery which inserts the variable-based tracking system as well as journal entry handling for the level of knowledge this mod is tracking as described below.
This component adds no reactions or reply options, on its own it has no effect for players.
Note: This component is required for all following components and would be the base for any other mods that want to make use of the information tracking system.

3 Consistency Changes to Game Dialogues
Component 3 disables reply options from the original game that do not make sense any more if the PC has more in-depth knowledge about the ongoings. For example, having met Hephernaan at Coast Way Crossing, it doesn't make sense to have a reply option that lets the PC ask "Hepher-who?" when talking to Edwin, or let them say "What could [Caelar] want with me?" after the parley at Dead Man's Pass if they already know exactly what Caelar needs the PC for. This component does not add new content / reply options, this is done in component 5 "Give PC Informed Reply Options".
Note: any references to Caelar's assassins trying to "kill" the PC although the weakness of the poison is known are not changed by this component. Install Lauriel's "Add Stat-Based Observations and Quest Options" component for this, either via RtD or Themed Tweaks.

4 Officers Are Aware
Component 4 adds my view on what the officers would know when along the campaign without the PC telling them. From the first meeting at the big coalition camp we know they interrogate captured crusaders, for example, and the original dialogue with De Lancie reveals their own investigations about Caelar.
Nevertheless, this component focusses on keeping officers' knowledge of the crusade's goals and secrets at an absolute minimum not to spoil the ingame experience of the PC being the one revealing the really crucial intel.
Note: This component does *not* add any reactions to the officers, it just adds the level of their knowledge and awareness so it can be used in the later components.
This component is optional but needed for component 7 "Add Officers Reactions".

5 Give PC Informed Reply Options
This component adds consistent reply options to relevant game dialogues which reflect the PC's status of knowledge. For one it adds according reply options where component 3 "Consistency Changes to Game Dialogues" removed the unfitting ones except for the mentioned instances with regard to the weak poison that is content of Lauriel's "Add Stat-Based Observations and Quest Options from Themed Tweaks Mod". Component 5 also adds informed reply options at places where the PC talks about the ongoings with ingame characters, but it adds no options to inform the officers about the PC's findings, this is done in component 6 "PC Can Tell the Officers".
It requires component 3 "Consistency Changes to Game Dialogues" and needs to be installed after component 4 "Officers Are Aware" if component 4 is installed.

6 PC Can Tell the Officers
This component adds the possibility for the PC to inform the Dukes and officers about the gathered information throughout the campaign with regard to the tracked information (e.g. Caelar's deeper plans, Hephernaan's betrayal, the portal and the needed Bhaal blood, and the Hooded Man). Officers will aknowledge the information and give short remarks as a reply. Apart from that, there is no changes to dialogues or other additions. For further, in-depth reactions of the officers, install component 7 "Add Officers Reactions".
Characters the PC can tell about Caelar's plans with this component are:
-Captain Corwin before the castle assault (i.e. the first three camps areas), if she is not in party.
-Corporal Bence Duncan in the first two camps (Coast Way Crossing and Troll Claw Woods) when he is available.
-Torsin De Lancie when available.
-Marshal Nederlok in the big coalition camp (bd3000).
This component is optional but needed for component 7 "Add Officers Reactions".

7 Add Officers Reactions
This component is my view on how the officers should react to the crusade's main purpose depending on how much they know.
Component 7 adds reactions of the officers to the threat in dialogues depending on how much information they got about the ongoings regarding the crusade and the other instances considered as described below: There will be new dialogue lines at the gathering of the three officers General Stonehand, Marshal Nederlok, and Torsin De Lancie in the big coalition camp, reactions of the three upong hearing about the portal and the PC's role to open it, the officers will ask the PC to look out for more detailed knowledge about Caelar's plans, the parley with Caelar will go differently if the officers know about what Caelar needs the Bhaal blood for, etc.
This component is optional and also needs components 4 "Officers Are Aware", as well as 6 "PC can tell the officers".

8 Additional Info Points
Component 8 adds a few more possibilities to gather information about Caelar's plans not considered in component 1 "Add Stat-Based Observations and Quest Options from Lauriel's Themed Tweaks Mod". For example, crusaders in the castle encampment can be asked more explicitely about the crusade's plans, and the "blessing ritual" in the camp at Boareskyr Bridge can be analysed if a cleric or paladin is in the group.

9 Add Additional Communication with Officers
Component 9 adds a custom character, Sir Deggernaut, who moves along the campaign from camp to camp for direct communication so the PC can always tell their findings independent on avilability of original game officers due to campaign progress. His dialogue features also a possibility to ask him about the status of the officers' knowledge, where he will list everything the officers are aware of at this point - which might be more than the PC found out depending on campaign progress.
Sir Deggernaut can be found by the camp tents in the first two camps, and near Mizhena in the big coalition camp.
This component is optional and also needs components 4 "Make Officers Aware", as well as 6 "PC can tell the officers".

COMPATIBILITY NOTE

Install Road to Discovery very late in install order. This mod should be installed AFTER the following mods:
-Themed Tweaks
-Jastey's SoD Tweakpack
-any mod that adds reply options or transactions to SoD, like NPC mods or story tweak mods.

Road to Discovery has native EET compatibility and needs to be installed before EET_End.

Download the Mod

Modage at GibberlingsThree

Modpage at Kerzenburgforum

Discussion Thread at GibberlingsThree

Discussion Thread at Kerzenburgforum (German)
Post edited by jastey on
ThacoBellbonewhitegloryZaghoulAciferDoubledimasStummvonBordwehrArviaPermidion_Starkmegamike15IseweinAedanAaemforeverTimbo0o0o0

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Well crud, I just finished the SoD part of my original trilogy run. I'll definitely give this a go next time around.
    jastey
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,669
    Thanks!

Added a link to Lauriel's Themed Tweaks mod to the first post where the first component originates from.
    ThacoBell
  • AciferAcifer Member Posts: 149
    This is great stuff! At least five CHARNAMEs are waiting on my iPad to venture forth to Dragonspear Castle after defeating Sarevok, so this is a great opportunity to enjoy a new SoD experience.
    jasteyStummvonBordwehr
  • EndarireEndarire Member Posts: 1,512
    Thankee for preemptively answering my question of, "Is this mod EET compatible?"

The likely answers to my next questions are "aye," but I ask them anyway:

-Is this mod compatible with Shine on Caelar?

-Hephernaan in BG2EE?

The next question has a less immediately clear answer for me: "What sort of crossmod should we expect with those two mods?"
    @Acifer thanks!

@Endarire Hephernaan is a BGII mod, and RtD doesn't change the SoD story, it just makes the people aware and react to the details, so I don't see any incompatibilities because I assume that @LavaDelVortel sticked to the original SoD story for Hephernaan's background.
    Regarding Roxanne's Shine on Caelar I have no idea and no interest to investigate.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I'm in the middle of an EET run and I am still in BG1 (I have just returned to Candlekeep) would it be possible to add this mod at this stage or should I wait until next time round?
    @Permidion_Stark adding RtD late is actually the recommended install order, but it has to be installed before EET_End. If you have mods after EET_End, i.e. SCS then I would not recommend changing the setup.
    Also, there might be bugs that could screw up the game I haven't found yet.
    Permidion_StarkStummvonBordwehr
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,666
    I can't think of any details in Hephernaan BG2 that would be incompatibile with his SoD story.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    jastey wrote: »
    @Permidion_Stark adding RtD late is actually the recommended install order, but it has to be installed before EET_End. If you have mods after EET_End, i.e. SCS then I would not recommend changing the setup.
    Also, there might be bugs that could screw up the game I haven't found yet.

I should be okay then. I don't use SCS (I find the game hard enough as it is!). I will install it now so I can try it out when I get to SoD (assuming I manage to get that far - I have to get past Sarevok first). I'm not sure how useful my feedback will be though. I don't really know SoD very well so I may not be able to spot the changes you have made.
    jastey
    @Permidion_Stark Thanks! If you think the knowledge about what is going on is usefully noted down in the journal and the officers are reacting to it accordingly I guess that would be valid feeback as well. ;)
    Permidion_Stark
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    one of the few things that bothered me about sod was how no one in your party or anyone for the matter aknolged the hoodedman at all. it was like he was invisable to everyone who was not the person he was talking to.

so if this mod could fix that by adding mroe interjection with the party when he shows up that would be nice.
    jasteyStummvonBordwehrTrouveur
    @megamike15 It's an interesting idea. When playing SoD, because of the lack of reactions I wasn't even sure whether the NPCs actually see him. The only reaction to him is one reply option to Imoen where the PC can ask who the hooded man was who waited in the palace room, so I guess he is not supposed to be a personal apparition of sorts. I can't promise I will write NPC interjections but it would fit the mod topic to make the world more aware.
    megamike15StummvonBordwehrTrouveur
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 520
    Or it could be that he showed himself to both Bhaalspawn only - it would fit in with his plans after all. (I forgot whether Irenicus at this point already knows about Imoen?)
    StummvonBordwehr
    @Isewein @megamike15 that's my problem with the Hooded Man appearances in SoD. There is so absolutely nill reaction from the others that I really thought he shows himself to the PC only. It was only later that I realized that some of the situations are like a normal meeting of characters ingame. I'm still not sure how to handle this, though, as the game is not really clear on that imho.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Isewein wrote: »
    Or it could be that he showed himself to both Bhaalspawn only - it would fit in with his plans after all. (I forgot whether Irenicus at this point already knows about Imoen?)

Imoen mentions the hooded man during the first encounter. thats why it just seems odd. he is clearly shown to be known by Calar and Hephernaan but your party or even the army your with never speak of him when he is right in front of them.
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBell
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    I think Siege of Dragonspear is great overall, but I think they really overused the Hooded Man. Plus the IWD tie-in wasn't really needed.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The best things in life are optional.
    Please don't turn this thread into an SoD controversy thread. :|
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 520
    edited October 2021
    Well, for Imoen it can make sense. Caelar and Hephernaan similarly aren't exactly regular mortals. I would prefer to think that the other companions cannot perceive him though, otherwise the plot hole just keeps growing...

PS: Mea culpa Jastey, I noticed your request too late.
    @Isewein No worries, your post is on-topic. I do appreciate the discussion about whether the Hooded Man can/is perceived by the other game characters.
    I'm not saying that I will write it, but I do ponder how a "People are aware of Hooded Man" component would be designed. Because the complete lack of reaction that is currently inside the game - except for Imoen inside the palace - would require a lot of follow-ups if we say that everyone can see him.

Does anyone know how other mod NPC authors dealed with this?
    The mod updates to 0.2Beta. The mod now has a German version.

Note: the German version uses the terminology of the "Deutsche Übersetzung für SoD" mod. Install the language mod for consistent names in the game.

Changelog:
    - German version added, by Shai Hulud
    - added a paragraph "note to all translators and German players" to readme
    - removed the tra handling: no copying to "autotra" folder; no iconv convertion; tra-files are in utf8.
    StummvonBordwehr
    The mod updates to 0.3Beta, with compatibility to Jastey's SoD Tweakpack v6.

Changelog:

- new reply option of Jastey's SoD Tweakpack (v6) will be tagged accordingly.
    - restructured tp2 so dependent components will be deinstalled automatically if main component is deinstalled.
    bonewhiteglorymegamike15
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 474
    Hello,

I'm currently in a BG1 playthrough, can I install this mod just before transitionning to SoD, or this will screw up my savegame ?
    @Trouveur this should work, yes. Only SoD ressources get patched, and a late place in install order is advantageous. Make sure that for EET, it needs to be installed before EET_End, though.
    Thank you, it's not an EET install, I'm currently trying Ajantis Expansion and Transitions, with the usual BG1 NPC Project and Shades of the SC and Balduran's Sea Tower.

I'm looking forward tot his new mod, because while I like SoD, it was frustrating to not be able to have our main character really show he did his homeworks.
    I'm always interested in feedback, as well as criticism. Thanks for trying the mod.
    edited January 2022
    Hello,

I finally entered the SoD part of my playthrough.

I met some bugs there, I don't know if they are related to RtD.

First, Rasaad have some dialog problems :
    ezyp55kp87xf.jpg

Second, Ophyllis never appeared at the Ducal Palace entrance after talking to him in the Treasury.

And third, I'm now ready to leave BG, I'm at the entrance with the crowd, but I can't go further. After talking to Rauma, Corwin have nothing to say to me, and so I can't go to the next chapter. And also Viconia is not there.

PS : I didn't find the RtD section in the GB3 forums ?

EDIT : I tried a new SoD party with my last save from BG1 but after uninstalling RtD, and all the bugs above are gone minus the Ophyllis one.
    Post edited by Trouveur on
    edited January 2022
    I wouldn't know how any of these bugs would be caused by RtD, sorry.
    Obly possibility is that the scripting of the variable setting gave a hickup to area scripts, but the dialogue problems are most definitely not RtD's problem. Also, script problems would only be in the areas your group heard about new infos which trigger the variable evaluation, not if you travel to another area.
    Ophyllis never appeared at the Ducal Palace entrance after talking to him in the Treasury.
    What exactly do you mean here?
    Please post your weidu.log and the RtD DEBUG in a spoiler here. What game are you on + version?
    EDIT: Sorry if my post sounds short-tempered, I do appreciate the report and of course will investigate. It's just that RtD does not alter Rasaad's dialogue in a way that the shown screenshot could be related to it, etc.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    edited January 2022
    Hi jastey, I want to say that this mod looks really great on fixing the inconsistencies and illogical parts in SoD story. Which was the main let down for me and is the main reason I don’t play SoD in my playthroughs any more. I have a few questions that I would like to clarify regarding the content though.

Will this mod allow a separate pathway in SoD story? Like will it somehow allow you to be convinced by Caelar and join her, even if this means you skip big parts of SoD content? I believe such an alternative path should have been made available on the original game in the first place. I would much rather have a better story with 0 voice acting.

Now obviously this is just my personal thought as the main alternative path to be missing, but I want to ask you if there are any other paths made available by this mod too? Even if they are small changes. Basically I want to understand if the additions and new conversations in this mod lead to any changes in outcomes of the story or the way it progresses. Thanks a lot for your great work.
    Post edited by Ludwig_II on
    @Ludwig_II No, there are no new pathways with this mod. The mod tries to tie in all knowledge the PC gathered and give reactions to the coalition officers to them as far as they will be informed. This is all. It is done the less intrusive way possible, because objective of this mod was not to provide different paths / possibilities but really "only" to acknowledge ingame all the knowledge the group can gather about Caelar and her crusade along the way.
    Although the ovrall paths will not be changed, it's the details along the way that will depending on how much the officers are informed about Caelar's plans. The meeting at the Dead Man's Pas will go differently if they know what Caelar wants the PC for for example, etc.
    I think this already adds a lot to th overall game experience.
    I understand the wish for a "go with Caelar" story tweak but haven't written one (yet?). It would go into a different mod, though.