Skip to content

[2.6.6] [BG2] Imported save from 2.5 breaks spellbook

I've got a saved game from I believe 2.5 of BGEE, and when I import my wizard character, my spellbook won't let me memorize a 4th spell. It impacts all pages above 2. Screenshot attached. What can I do to resolve this?

kxn3wgw5qro2.png

Comments

• SpaceHamsterSpaceHamster Member Posts: 14
    Saved game file attached.
    Assistance with this would be greatly appreciated, my playthrough is stuck until I can resolve this. <3
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    Hi @SpaceHamster,

Your character had some invalid spells memorized. I've removed them — here's a save of your character imported to BG2EE.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    You have spells memorized that were added by mods you used in BGEE, but do not have installed in BG2EE.
    I've removed those spells from your characters, so the slots are usable again.
    Or, if you know what mods you were using (and the order you installed them), you might be able to install those mods on BG2EE and use the unedited save.
    Thank you so much! How were you able to do that? When I opened the save game files, my IDE had it looking like jpeg text with no discernable variables. How did you know which were the offending spells?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Glad to hear it's not caused by the patch.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Thank you so much! How were you able to do that? When I opened the save game files, my IDE had it looking like jpeg text with no discernable variables. How did you know which were the offending spells?

There are tools specifically built for working with IE game files. In this case, that's most likely Near Infinity. Much easier to modify things when you can actually see what everything means.