Skip to content

More user-friendly section with mods

EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
edited February 2022 in BGII:EE Mods
I'm sorry to do it this way, but I've known at least a dozen forum moderators and almost everyone has stopped doing it and I have no idea who's doing it now.

I propose to divide the section with mods into a section that will be dedicated to questions and discussion about modes "Discussions about mods" (or something like that) and a section with real mods (current names are fine for that). The current system, where people start new topics just to ask a question, is very confusing.

Call me old-fashioned, but the mods section should only contain mods.
Of course, no one will prevent you from asking questions or discussing a mod within the topic of that mod. I just believe that things will be much clearer for everyone, especially for newcomers.

Imagine how easy it will be to find things when the mods section will only contains topics that contain mods.
Post edited by Edvin on

Comments

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    Why should there be another group? It's already confusing as-is, with UI modding separated for some reason. This is a forum, not a downloads section.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    We're open to suggestions, sure. So far it's 1:1 on this current request.
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    We're open to suggestions, sure. So far it's 1:1 on this current request.

Ok, I added a poll :)
    edited February 2022
    @JuliusBorisov
    15 : 0
    Given the current activity on the forum, it's a really good score.
    And that was only the first day.
    Post edited by Edvin on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,727
    Let's keep the poll for a week. Thanks for your suggestion.
    edited March 2022
    @JuliusBorisov
    It seems that the vast majority of people would also like things to be organized a little better.

I think the easiest way would be to create a new "Questions and Discussions" category in the "Modding" section and move things there from the BG1, BG2, PST and IWD categories.

I can even flag you all things that need to be moved, it could save you a lot of time.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,681
    If restructuring the Modding section, what I think is also very important is to offer categories for all games, and mods that cover more than one game. Because currently, I have no idea where I would advertise SoD-Mods, or mods that work and have content for e.g. both BG:EE and BGII:EE (like some NPC mods that come as one package for all games).
    jastey wrote: »
    If restructuring the Modding section, what I think is also very important is to offer categories for all games, and mods that cover more than one game. Because currently, I have no idea where I would advertise SoD-Mods, or mods that work and have content for e.g. both BG:EE and BGII:EE (like some NPC mods that come as one package for all games).

SoD is part of BG:EE
    I'm pretty sure you can't install SoD without BG:EE.
    It's like ToB from BGII:EE

When it comes to mods that do something with both games at once, it's a little more complicated.
    Personally, I would put it in to the BGII: EE section, because BGII: EE is much more popular overall.
    edited March 2022
    We have the general section for the mods which cover multiple games (like tweakmods or my soundmods which can affect BGEE/BG2EE and IWDEE at the same time). That always made sense. This grouping never did since it ignores actual examples.

Also, SoD is standalone on mobile.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    I have absolutely no horse in this race, except for the thought that restructuring something will probably take quite a bit of time and effort for those who have to work on it, and then more people might be against the change than in favour. So I don't think it should be based on the opinion of one or two people who may or may not be very active (not directed at those of you who have commented here, obviously).
    Since polls seem to be anonymous now, it would be helpful if the others who participated gave a short explanation for their votes.
    edited March 2022
    Arvia wrote: »
    I have absolutely no horse in this race, except for the thought that restructuring something will probably take quite a bit of time and effort for those who have to work on it, and then more people might be against the change than in favour. So I don't think it should be based on the opinion of one or two people who may or may not be very active (not directed at those of you who have commented here, obviously).
    Since polls seem to be anonymous now, it would be helpful if the others who participated gave a short explanation for their votes.

I'm not sure there's a lot to discuss.

You either agree with the idea that the mods section should only contain mods or not.
    I think that there is no denying that better organization will make searching easier and help prevent unnecessary queries.

Personally, I sometimes want to see if any new mods was added to "Mods" section and I don't want to see there topics like:

Searching for Mod
    Question; Spell area effect marker?
    Where can I download the Saerileth mod?
    My party wanted to be prepared for Spellhold...
    New Player Totally Lost on Modding
    SCS has been installing for 2.5 hours.. ?
    Is Turnabout Still Maintained?

Such things belong to the "Questions and discussion".

I'm not a moderator, so I don't know how difficult it can be to create a new section on this forum and move the corresponding topics there. Especially on this new forum, which is worse in all respects than the old forum. (I really wonder why it had to change.)
    If you want to subscribe to G3's RSS then subscribe to G3's RSS. Your arbitrary grouping doesn't resolve the issues with the current grouping but substitutes them with another ones. You have actual modders pointing issues with your proposal which you conveniently ignore.

I think you're exactly the target audience for this quote:
    "Ask not what your modders can do for you; ask what you can do for your modders.
    edited March 2022
    If you want to subscribe to G3's RSS then subscribe to G3's RSS. Your arbitrary grouping doesn't resolve the issues with the current grouping but substitutes them with another ones. You have actual modders pointing issues with your proposal which you conveniently ignore.

I think you're exactly the target audience for this quote:
    "Ask not what your modders can do for you; ask what you can do for your modders.

1) The vast majority of people agree with me so far.
    2) I did not ignore anyone, I replied just below his post.
    3) If you have a better idea, I'd love to hear it. :)
    So far, I have only heard criticism from you and no solution.

P.S.
    I am a modder myself (the author of one of the most popular BG2 mod on this forum).
    Post edited by Edvin on