Skip to content

How do I achieve actual fullHD resolutions?

Comments

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @Enoch0o
    Maybe you should read some of the other posts by other people who haven't got a problem either, some of which do play at 1080P
    I've never said that I didn't acknowledged the issue, I only said that just maybe it didn't apply to everyone.

• ShnizmuffiNShnizmuffiN Member Posts: 16
    edited December 2012
    Bytebrain said:

Well, I can see a difference because it's so close up.
    Can't see any blurry textures on my own machine on 720P though...

There's nothing "close up" about it. That's a 1:1 pixel ratio in that image. Your 720p display is 1280x720, which is just a hair bigger than the 1024x768 resolution they were aiming for (to hit the iPad 2). A 1080p display at 1920x1080 dwarfs your screen and turns even the tiniest imperfections into abhorrent affronts to humanity.

The GUI textures are a bit blurry on my 720p screen. Is there even a way to fix that though? I just figure the game has to have certain graphics made at certain size dimensions and so the screen just kind of gets scaled and when it does...it stretches the image.

One could... not stretch the GUI. Set the sidebars to a fixed width and the bottom bar to a fixed height, anchor them to the screen edges, like the widescreen mod did years ago.

I don't think I ever really figured the game would be true HD, just made to work natively with widescreen HD displays. >.> I mean those portraits and paper dolls and the animations and all the artwork in its purest form were unattainable right?

The GUI was remade from scratch, and there are larger versions of the character portraits IN THE GAME. (Remember how big they were when you were creating your character? Furthermore, they're all over the internet.) Here, look:

@ShnizmuffiN

"One could... not stretch the GUI. Set the sidebars to a fixed width and the bottom bar to a fixed height, anchor them to the screen edges, like the widescreen mod did years ago."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the widescreen mod didn't have a fixed width and hight did it?
    I mean, if you increased resolution it became smaller, even though of course it was anchored to the screen edges.
    That was the reason, I imagine, why they used scaling now.

I think the only way to solve this to everyones satisfaction would be to make different GUI's for every possible resolution, which would be a huge amount of work.
    Bytebrain said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the widescreen mod didn't have a fixed width and hight [sic] did it?
    I mean, if you increased resolution it became smaller, even though of course it was anchored to the screen edges.

The widescreen mod kept the GUI the same size regardless of resolution, so yes it got "smaller" in that it took up less and less of a percentage of the screen the higher your resolution went - which is something I'd prefer to what's currently offered.

(I don't need a pause button the size of my big toe, for example. The maximum size of those interface buttons should probably be in the neighborhood of the Windows 7 Start Button/Orb/Thing.)
  • enoch0oenoch0o Member Posts: 27
    Bytebrain said:

@Enoch0o
    Maybe you should read some of the other posts by other people who haven't got a problem either, some of which do play at 1080P
    I've never said that I didn't acknowledged the issue, I only said that just maybe it didn't apply to everyone.

Bytebrain said:

Now, the issue of blurry GUI, I think you are confusing personal opinion of design with bug.
    There's many that don't have blurry GUI. How can that be? It can only be one of two things then, either something is not right in your settings or drivers on your PC, since, hey, I don't have that problem, or it's simply because you don't like the design of the new GUI.

Not sure what you're saying, then.Sorry, I haven't seen any posts you referring to.But, good for those 5 people I guess.

Bytebrain said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the widescreen mod didn't have a fixed width and hight [sic] did it?

The widescreen mod kept the GUI the same size regardless of resolution, so yes it got "smaller" in that it took up less and less of a percentage of the screen the higher your resolution went - which is something I'd prefer to what's currently offered.

(I don't need a pause button the size of my big toe, for example. The maximum size of those interface buttons should probably be in the neighborhood of the Windows 7 Start Button/Orb/Thing.)
    Well, I strongly disagree with that.
    A games interface should be uniform across all resolutions if at all possible, and I believe that was the intention by Beamdog.

I hate when I up the resolution in some games, and I have to squint just to see what's what on a GUI.
    The trade off may be that for some there's some, IMO, minor blurry texture on the GUI, but I find it a fair trade off, and if the Devs had just done as the widescreen mod did, they're would have been even more complaints.

At least it's been proven very easy for the Mod makers to replace the GUI, so it should be fairly easy to get one suited to your interface if you should wish for it, and quick too.
    edited December 2012
    new UI mod.Gonna try it out. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8806/someone-at-shs-just-posted-an-ui-mod-old-bg1-gui-which-is-not-so-blurry-yeehaa

Edit: works for me at 1920x1080.It's also the original UI which is a big plus.
    Bytebrain said:

At least it's been proven very easy for the Mod makers to replace the GUI, so it should be fairly easy to get one suited to your interface if you should wish for it, and quick too.

I shouldn't have to mod the game to get textures appropriate for my insanely common screen resolution.

Bytebrain said:

I shouldn't have to mod the game to get textures appropriate for my insanely common screen resolution.
    Honestly, I don't know what to say to you...
    Maybe you just want to have something to complain about..

There's a very easy way to get it sharper. Turn down the resolution on your monitor to 720P, still high res, and play the game that way.

You now have plenty of alternatives if you spend your time in game squinting at the GUI textures and upsetting yourself instead of looking at the beautiful spectacle that is Baldur's Gate.
    enoch0o said:

new UI mod.Gonna try it out. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8806/someone-at-shs-just-posted-an-ui-mod-old-bg1-gui-which-is-not-so-blurry-yeehaa

Edit: works for me at 1920x1080.It's also the original UI which is a big plus.

I'm going to wait and see what happens for a week or so. If the blurriness carries over to the iPads and their ludicrous 2048x1356, the apple guys will make my bitching and moaning sound like a rational discussion.

But yeah, that mod had already crossed my mind.
    Bytebrain said:

There's a very easy way to get it sharper. Turn down the resolution on your monitor to 720P, still high res, and play the game that way.

I was told I was getting a game optimized for high resolution screens, and I got a game that's upper threshold of "looking good" is 720p? That's like going to Starbucks and saying, "I'd like a cup of coffee." So they say, "hold out your hands." You do, and they immediately dump the coffee into them. You shriek, "OW GOD DAMNIT I wanted a cup of coffee!" "Well, a cup is 8 fl. oz.," the barrista snarkilly replies, "you should cup your hands tighter next time!"
    edited December 2012
    Seriously.I guess I assumed we were paying for HD version of the game.

Modders to the rescue!This reminds me of Dark Souls ported to PC situation for some reason.
    Post edited by enoch0o on

Bytebrain said:

I was told I was getting a game optimized for high resolution screens, and I got a game that's upper threshold of "looking good" is 720p? That's like going to Starbucks and saying, "I'd like a cup of coffee." So they say, "hold out your hands." You do, and they immediately dump the coffee into them. You shriek, "OW GOD DAMNIT I wanted a cup of coffee!" "Well, a cup is 8 fl. oz.," the barrista snarkilly replies, "you should cup your hands tighter next time!"
    720p IS high resolution. In fact, I doubt you'll be able to tell the diffence in the game, which is why I considered it a helpful suggestion for you.
    My TV has max resolution on 720p. And while I can see the difference if a TV with 1080p is next to it, it's really negligible, and in a game like Baldur's Gate, 14 years old, made for low res monitors, there's no difference to the naked eye.

But I do see that the only thing that can satisfy you now, is for the developers to bow to your every demand.
    Why don't you try to be a bit constructive?

Oh and the coffee analogy really sucked. I'm sorry, but it did...
    @Bytebrain I don't know why you gripe so much?People want full HD UI for their 1080p monitors.Is that so wrong?

720 is not full hd,btw.
  • MansenMansen Member Posts: 82
    Bytebrain - you've made the point that you cannot tell any difference between resolutions quite clear (and that you insist that everyone is you). Now go away and leave us to our legitimate complaints.

720P is NOT high resolution on computers - We've had 1024x768 (which is basically the equivalent of 720P except not widescreen). We've had this resolution since the early ninetees. Hell even Baldurs Gate supported this resolution natively as I recall.

This means that every game from the early Windows era looks exactly the same as BGEE does now...

Just because television standards have finally caught up (and they haven't since they only made the jump from ~480 to 720 and all the way up to 1080) does not make it "high resolution".

I'll finish off my argument by quoting the sales page of the EE.

" Native support for high-resolution widescreen displays "

So kindly take your leave from the thread.
  • TibsterTibster Member Posts: 15
    I run the game at 1920x1200(screen res) and other then the oversized interface the graphix is fine.

I do however feel they made the game for Ipad/tablets and the PC version is a lazu consoll port. Guess PC games pay so they can do the tablet/mobile version perfect.................
    I don't know why you gripe So much @enoch0o...
    All I've been doing is try to give alternatives that can help, but if that's not good enough, I don't know why you all keep on going on about this issue.

720p HD, not full HD, but as I wrote, no one will be able to see the difference in a game like this. Absolutely no one, not without a magnifying glass or having your eyes a couple of centimeters close to the monitor.
    It's hard to see the difference under normal circumstances, but in a game like BG impossible.

Especially since you ought to be actually playing the friggin game, not scrutinizing your GUI for minor infractions.

edited December 2012
    Bytebrain said:

I don't know why you gripe So much @enoch0o...
    All I've been doing is try to give alternatives that can help, but if that's not good enough, I don't know why you all keep on going on about this issue.

720p HD, not full HD, but as I wrote, no one will be able to see the difference in a game like this. Absolutely no one, not without a magnifying glass or having your eyes a couple of centimeters close to the monitor.
    It's hard to see the difference under normal circumstances, but in a game like BG impossible.

Especially since you ought to be actually playing the friggin game, not scrutinizing your GUI for minor infractions.

Helpful alternative is lowering my resolution for this shiney new enhanced version of the game?NO THANKS!

Post edited by enoch0o on
    Bytebrain said:

Absolutely no one, not without a magnifying glass or having your eyes a couple of centimeters close to the monitor.

Bytebrain strikes again! Ignoring imperical data and substituting with personal opinion.

Why are you still here anyway?

• IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    edited December 2012
    720P nearly the same as 1080P? Sorry, but that is SO NOT TRUE :)

No matter if Baldur's Gate is made for lower Resolution Screens, This is 2012, this is the EE, we got promised higher resolution support.

But we did not get promised Higher resolution support for Tablets ported 1:1 into the pc version. So... We are allowed to demand a proper sharp resolution for the PC.

PC is NO Tablet!

*irony mode on* But ok, i will buy a tablet, buy the EE for it and feel happy that i have a sharp resolution there then. Best Plan Ever! *irony mode off*

:P

• chilvencechilvence Member Posts: 50
    edited December 2012
    Registered just for this:

You big telly heads are all complaining about the wrong thing. Yes the game does look blurry at 1080p. Guess what? It was made with '480p' in mind, 15 years ago! The art assets are lost and cannot be remade, and while yes there are examples where there are higher resolution alternates to SOME graphics, having a mix of HI and LOW res assets invariably looks fugly. I have seen exactly how bad it looks as I once made a ultra hi res font pack for Doom, and the major effect it had was to make every other ui graphic look like turd in a single stroke.

It really is all or nothing, and since a complete revamp is logistically impossible for a project this small scale and a game with such immense amount of art assets as BG, well over 5 times almost any other game of its time, then the compromise is more than adequate, rather than being stuck with the original 1998 version of the game. You want to whinge about it, point me to another game of that era that you can play hi res on windows 7 without some voodoo. It may not be ideal but it is a marked improvement -

The alternative to having it done the BG:EE way is elegantly displayed here:
    which in my opinion is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Mmm... chocolate...

Anyway the real beef I have with the ui is that there was hardly any attempt to streamline it and improve it. Yeah there are some minor improvements, and they are welcome, but IWD2 had far and away the best UI implementation inside the infinity engine world, and I was really hoping that would be the direction they would go; even that could have many many improvements in my humble opinion. I could care less about how it looks, make it into half life style gray overlays for all I care, just for the love of god let me be done with jumping across a bajillion pages all with redundant buttons and info and scrolling text boxes the size of my thumb, just to do simple things :(

I am hoping that the story isn't over yet with that...
    And that is exactly what we are asking for, Chilvence. The ability to have ACTUAL high end resolutions with added screenspace with the consequence that everything seems "smaller" - which is a question of personal taste. People who want to play at 1024x768 upscaled are welcomed to do so - of course they could have stayed with the original game for that since no big improvements have been made to the GUI designwise as far as I can tell.

Personal note : Chocolate is incredibly useful in a cold december month, so I'll put you down as the "We demand HD resolutions" crowd bsaedon that. :P
    IkonNavros
    edited December 2012
    Ok, True, BG was never made for HD Screens, no one can deny it. But as we can see, they have actually impoved the graphic a bit with filters, when zooming in. It is far away from High Res, but it looks not Bad.

On the opposite, they replaced the GUI, while i was sure in the beginning the new one does look better as the old, that clearly was an illusion. They have made the graphics a bit better, but instead managed to make the new GUI worse.

Sorry to hijack your quote @chilvence , but THAT is also about as useful as a chocolate teapot. ;)

Anyway, as soon as there is finally a Fan Mod GUI available which covers all in game GUI screens, or if Beamdog decides to render a more high resolution one for the pc version, one of my bigger concerns with the EE is Gone.

Or on the other side, if Beamdog finally would admit that the EE is only fitting the Quality Standards of Tablets - including the pc version, that would perhaps be a bitter cup of coffee for us pc owners, but at LEAST it would be understandable.

Would made some angry or some sad, but at least it would be understandable.

And as long as they try to visit 2 partys at the same time, we - the pc fraction have the right to demand more attention ;)
    edited December 2012
    Mansen said:

And that is exactly what we are asking for, Chilvence. The ability to have ACTUAL high end resolutions with added screenspace with the consequence that everything seems "smaller" - which is a question of personal taste.

Yes, but, well, you could already do that with the widescreen mod, and it also happens to be free if you already had BG on the pc. This is something new, and It is more than welcome as far as I am concerned, even if it does not fit either YOURS or MY expectations. We can all be back seat drivers [ http://postimage.org/image/n5xe6kamx/ ] but the fact is they had to make compromises, the primary motivation for the project was the tablet audience, and to be honest with the knowledge of that fact I am astonished that there is a new PC version at all!

Ok, look I really do see where you are coming from, the first time I played cnc generals I shuddered at the sheer ignorance of the fact that this was a 3d game, the first ever 3d CNC, but you cannot zoom out further than 7 feet off the ground like the 2d versions. What a wasted opportunity.

What I would really have liked to have seen for BGEE, and I really thought they would do it because of the tablet target and all its multi touch gimmickery, is to ditch the classic world map screen and just be able to zoom out to see the whole explored area. Because that is the only way to implement what you are suggesting without it seeming 'unintentional' behaviour.

Imagine if it came out the way you described, and people with 1080p tele's looked at it, dumbstruck, saying 'WTF, I need to lower my mouse sensitivity just to click on the characters' - exactly what they were avoiding by having a relatively close camera. So then all the game assets are all blurry anyway, why the hell bother with a crystal sharp interface that just manages to make the actual game look worse in comparison? Not to mention any item or spell that has ever been made for a mod would stick out like a sore thumb next to the new stuff, not good karma for a game that has been kept alive for 15 years by its army of modders.

In summary: You now have one more option available to you than you had BEFORE BGEE... What the hell do you expect to gain by complaining?!
    edited December 2012
    @chilvence There is still a difference between complaining and wishing for a more fitting solution.

And the fact is still, that the new GUI and the Enhanced Graphic does not work well together, in fact right now the GUI looks more old and outdated as the graphic itself! BTW. The graphic was NEVER ugly :)
    Well, tastes may very, I was just getting aggravated at the entirely circular nature of this thread and wanted to break the back and forth action with some reasoning.
    In the end it is the decision of the Beamdog Devs if they choose to re-do the GUI, and luckily there are already some feature requests in that direction :)

There is also always the modding comunity which could take car of that too.

Anyway, that was off topic. But better we, the ones who are not happy with the situation post into that request feature thread!
    I just hope if they do that they manage to think out side of The Box (tm)

http://postimage.org/image/3r7a9dzfr/
    chilvence said:

Yes, but, well, you could already do that with the widescreen mod, and it also happens to be free if you already had BG on the pc. This is something new...

Let me stop you right there - BGEE was supposed to be a modernization of the game, incorporating a lot of the community fixes from over the years while >> ADDING << additional original content to it on top. This does NOT give me "an extra choice" - The sales pitch has specifically been "modernization - high end resolutions". Instead we are given the opposite. A game that doesn't do anything other than scale.

I can complain all I want - it is a legitimate complaint. It's not like I'd rather NOT have the product and get a refund (which I am perfectly entitled to should I want to). I want the product to deliver what is has been promised to do so I can enjoy it.
    edited December 2012
    @mansen, at leats that point is valid - That the scaling, instead of truly delivering a 1080P quality sucks like hell and is not worthy a so called Enhanced Edition.

But that works only for the GUI, The graphic itself, as we all know can only be enhanced with new created sprites and background artwork.

If Beamdog would for example have decided to delay the release for one year but would have promised to recreate that kind of artwork... THAT would have been in my opinion the best solution. THIS and hiring some freelancers for Graphical and Technical Stuff, or putting that IMPORTANT 2 parts in the hands of a more capable company :)

Outsourcing is in times like that more then common :)

Because if you dont understand how a thing works, do not be ashamed and afraid to ask for help :)