Skip to content

Ascension/SCS/Most mods fail to install

IntroIntro Member Posts: 4
Not sure what logs to post, but anytime I try to install Ascension, SCS, or most mods in general on a fresh install, I get an error along the lines of "Unable to convert XXXX.TRA from CP1252 into UTF-8". Please let me know what logs to attach (and how, given I can't upload .txt files) to help resolve this. I've tried manually extracting the zips of each mod into my directory and going through the .exe and run into this issue, and run into the same issue as well when usnig Project Infinity, though some mods such as Cespenar's Item upgrades and a couple of tweak mods do work.

Comments

• GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    What OS is this?
  • IntroIntro Member Posts: 4
    What OS is this?

Windows, x64.
    When using Project Infinity, here is what it spits out at me:

//Copying 1 file ...
    //ERROR: unable to convert WEIDU_EXTERNAL/LANG/ASCENSION/ENGLISH/ASCENSION.TRA from cp1252 into UTF-8
    //Stopping installation because of error.
    //ERROR Installing [Rewritten Final Chapter of Throne of Bhaal], rolling back to previous state
    //Will uninstall 190 files for [ascension\Ascension.tp2] component 0.
    //Uninstalled 190 files for [ascension\Ascension.tp2] component 0.
    //ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(21, "open_proc", "ascension\\lang\\iconv\\iconv.exe -c -f cp1252 -t UTF-8 \"WEIDU_EXTERNAL\\LANG\\ASCENSION\\ENGLISH\\ASCENSION.TRA\" > \"WEIDU_EXTERNAL\\LANG\\ASCENSION\\ENGLISH\\fl#utf8_ASCENSION.TRA\" 2>&1")
    //Please make a backup of the file: Setup-Ascension.debug and look for support at: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/forum/207-ascension/
    //Automatically Skipping [Rewritten Final Chapter of Throne of Bhaal] because of error.
    //Using Language [English]
    //NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Rewritten Final Chapter of Throne of Bhaal
    //WARNING: unpausing installation will continue from next component.
    //
    //WARNING: Ascension:0 has encounter errors durring installation, exited with ExitCode = 2

It also gives me this error when trying to install it manually. I've made absolutely sure this is a clean installation as well.
  • GraionDilachGraionDilach Member Posts: 581
    edited October 2023
    Try to move your copy of the game you're trying to mod to the root folder of your non-system drive (say E:\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition). My first instict would be that the path is too long which throws some of our internal toolings off.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,673
    Intresting idea.
    Another idea was that it's an encrypted laptop.
    Try to move your copy of the game you're trying to mod to the root folder of your non-system drive (say E:\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition). My first instict would be that the path is too long which throws some of our internal toolings off.

The computer I'm on only has C: I'm afraid. As above, the computer I'm attempting this install on is a company work laptop, which may be blocking some access to it even though I can run all the commands in admin mode.
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 179
    Ascension works fairly well for me these days; make sure you have all the latest binaries and patches. I remember I used to have issues in the past, such as the game crashing when I tried the quest where you meet that group of ogres or so, upon visiting the mayor for the second time. These days I install Ascension first. That seems to work quite ok. Some mods definitely have to be installed last. I had the same installation error, but when I moved Ascension first, that error appears to have vanished.