Skip to content

Lose Minsc and keep Dynaheir?

I'm sure this has been asked and answered before, sorry, but I couldn't find any answer specific to SoD:

Dynaheir was in my entire playthrough of BG1 EE. I wanna recruit her again of course, in Three Old Kegs, but it seems they're hellbent on forcing me to have Minsc along as well. I killed him after the initial dialogue in BG1, since he attacked me, and have no more intention of having him around this time. I know there's probably a simple way of forcing him out in Keeper or something, but is there a more "in game" way of doing it? A simple way I can do a "Khalid" on him like I did when I wanted to keep Jaheira in BG1? (took him for a stroll in front of the basilisks, lol)

Appreciate any helpful answers. :)

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,681
    Letting Minsc die would be one possibility, yes.
    Other possibility that also might work in SoD is to kick him out of party in a small area you will never visit again, and leave the area with your PC (and the rest of the group) before he can initiate his kickout dialogue. - Kickout in SoD is scripted a bit differently, so you'd need to check whether that would work as intended.

As far as I know, there is no tweak mod to separate pairs for SoD yet.

Considering all NPCs return to camp anyway, even after leaving the party angry because of reputation, there isn't even an ingame reason why one can't stay behind while the other one follows the PC around. (Well, maybe for Minsc and Dynaheir it makes more sense with Minsc being her bodyguard and all, but for example Khalid and Jaheira could easily take on different roles, especially considering how they are met in game.) /rant
  • YigorYigor Member Posts: 536
    edited October 2023
    jastey wrote: »
    Letting Minsc die would be one possibility, yes.

I guess that @maliagante1 wanna see Minsc to be "killed in action" with the disintegration of his body. 💥🤯

Something like a crushing blow by a Drowned-in-Blood with STR=21 in Dwarven Dig Site, Coast Way Crossing area, could work. 😼
    edited October 2023
    Well, I mean you *do* lose all gold at the beginning, so ... I'm awfully sorry, Dynaheir, but, you see, raise dead is pretty expensive, and ... Oh look, there is Glint! EDIT: Damn, Glint is a cleric, right? ok, then ... er, Corwin!11
    jastey wrote: »
    Well, I mean you *do* lose all gold at the beginning, so ... I'm awfully sorry, Dynaheir, but, you see, raise dead is pretty expensive, and ... Oh look, there is Glint! EDIT: Damn, Glint is a cleric, right? ok, then ... er, Corwin!11

Temples should have a cheap cremation/incineration service too, in addition to the expensive "raise dead". 😹
    edited October 2023
    And maybe Mummification Service: mummified Minsc, killed in action, would be a great addition to the party! 😹
    "See, Dynaheir? Minsc is still with us."
    This getting morbid.^^
  • maliagante1maliagante1 Member Posts: 18
    Appreciate any helpful answers. :)

:D

Well I suppose entertaining ones will have to do for now... :p

I suppose the first suggestion was something I'd already thought of, leaving him in an area somewhere, there were solutions like that for BG1 IIRC. I was interested in knowing if anybody knew specifically about such a place where I could do that, and *quickly*. Solutions along the lines of "halfway into SoD there's a place where you can push him off a cliff" won't do for me I'm afraid, not having the annoying moron in my party for more than the time it takes to transport him into a drop-off area, tops. Otherwise it's keeper removal, storywise ramifications be damned... :p
    NVM, turns out it's laughably easy: One Godbow-hit, he exploded and permadied, off the roster -- all rejoice. :D Yes, it's meta, not much rp'ing there, but on the other hand in my playthrough I already killed him on sight back in Nashkel, way before I met Dynaheir, so I figure that's a necessary technicality. I'm sure there are other ways he can possibly die permantly during SoD as well; Dyna lamented his death with a line, so I'm guessing it won't eff up anything storywise. Thanks anyway guys! (for the laughs at least :p
    NVM, turns out it's laughably easy: One Godbow-hit, he exploded and permadied, off the roster -- all rejoice. :D Yes, it's meta, not much rp'ing there, but on the other hand in my playthrough I already killed him on sight back in Nashkel, way before I met Dynaheir, so I figure that's a necessary technicality. I'm sure there are other ways he can possibly die permantly during SoD as well; Dyna lamented his death with a line, so I'm guessing it won't eff up anything storywise. Thanks anyway guys! (for the laughs at least :p

LoL Good luck! Btw, in BG1 I roleplay Dynaheir as a pure Invoker. 👈

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/87747/roleplaying-dynaheir-as-a-pure-invoker
    Haha, and when I was about to leave town -- by the Gods, there he was again, the dense f**k, standing outside the gate to the Dukal Palace as if he hadn't been killed in my party minutes before. I didn't speak to him though, just killed him again for good measure... :D Not seeing him in camp now that Im off on the road, so let's hope it's for good this time...

And yes, I play Dynaheir as a pure invoker as well! :)
    Haha, and when I was about to leave town -- by the Gods, there he was again, the dense f**k, standing outside the gate to the Dukal Palace as if he hadn't been killed in my party minutes before. I didn't speak to him though, just killed him again for good measure... :D Not seeing him in camp now that Im off on the road, so let's hope it's for good this time...

Omg how cruel! 😜

And yes, I play Dynaheir as a pure invoker as well! :)

Wow, great! 👍

Minsc, the returner!

I think I identified only recently that the spawning in front of the palace is done without checking whether he died before. I guess the devs didn't consider how evil some players can be that Minsc could die inside the city.
    :D Yes, that sounds very likely.

I'm not *that* evil, I swear... :p If I start disliking or even just slightly tire of a character, or just don't want them in my party, whatever game I'm playing -- and the game tries to force them upon me in any way, it just intensifies to the point where I'll simply refuse to play until I've been able to choose my own characters. I had Minsc in my very first playthrough back in '98, but I just quickly found him to be very one-note, and while I found his whole "schtick" vaguely amusing at first, I quickly got tired of it. Now he just annoys me, and I can never get through that initial dialogue in Nashkel without having him attack me (after picking the options that I find natural). So yeah, not interested in having him (or any other character) forced into my party, thankyouverymuch... :D
    Hey, you are preaching to the choir here - Minsc also, sadly, unexpectedly died permanently on my first BG1 playthrough because Dynaheir seemed like the best mage choice and there was no further room in my party.
    The only reason this won't happen now with SoD in my game is because I wrote my own mage NPC in the meantime.
    Cool, might as well do that I guess :D You created a party in multiplayer?
    If you are asking what I meant with my own NPC I meant that I made an NPC mod. (More than one, actually, but I was referring to Brandock the Mage, if anyone is interested.)
    But the Multiplayer thing I did before I started modding to have "Ajantis" in BGII. (Ajantis was also the main reason why there was, sadly, no place in my group for Minsc in BG1 - which closes the cycle.)
    edited October 2023
    Oh, well that's extra cool then. :smiley: Yes, that's what I meant, I assumed you just made one for your own party in MP. I haven't really touched mods for BG, to be honest, never really felt like it was the kind of game that "needed" it (unlike Skyrim/Fallout/Cyberpunk etc...) But maybe I should have a look, is Brandock on Nexus?
    There is some IE Mods at Nexus, but it's not the place to go. If you are completely new to modding your games, have a look at the modding guide as a beginning. Note that install order is very important, so best post a list for your planned mods here or at GibberlingsThree for feedback before installing.
    Most of my mods (since you asked) are at Kerzenburg, a German modding site, Brandock e.g. here.
    Modded tons of other games but not the BG series no, thx for the link. I don't speak (or read) much German, so I suspect that'll be of limited use I'm afraid (google-translating web sites like forums and such don't always work well IME), but I can try :smiley: Thanks for the info!
  • ErstarrungErstarrung Member Posts: 51
    I don't speak (or read) much German, so I suspect that'll be of limited use I'm afraid!
    Or you could just scroll down on the linked page until you reach the english part...