Skip to content

Baldur's Gate Fanart Challenge #3: Baldur's Gate Characters in the Modern World

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited December 2012
    You're right, it's a tattoo... Viconia's fingerpainting line just naturally came to mind. XD
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    I bet a guy like Minsc would get along with children really well. :)
  • LordsDarkKnight185LordsDarkKnight185 Member Posts: 615
    edited December 2012

I actually drew something like that over a year ago :D

Buttercheese's drawing

I imagined my party as one of those movie Sizilian Mafia families.
    My Charname - Cassandra - would be the "Godfather" (more like godmother... yay, pun :D ). White dress with a little bit of red, cause that's only for the family head.
    Korgan and Kagain would be the bodyguards.
    Imoen would be the naive little sister that gets married to some asshole at some point (like in the godfather).
    Xan is the familie's nervous bookkeeper.
    Viconia the would be the nun. Very docile but also very severe.
    Yoshimo would be the "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" Johnny Depp kinda person. Allways out for drugs, fun and trouble.
    Edwin would be the cunning diplomat.
    Shar-Teel would just be there. Following around and complaining a lot.
    Sarevok in the ace in the sleeve. Doesn't do anything much until everything goes down the river. Also Cassandra's dirty little secret ;)

<.< Edwin should be bald, make him bald.
    Post edited by sandmanCCL on
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    It's a old piece, I wont change anything on this. Baldy bald Edwin is quite a new trend (I guess Atastrophe on DevinatArt did it first http://fav.me/d4ejrts ), back then I (and most other fanartists out there) imagined him with hair. Even in the romance mod is a dialouge in which he explaines, why he isn't shaved bald like all other Thayans.

It's a old piece, I wont change anything on this. Baldy bald Edwin is quite a new trend (I guess Atastrophe on DevinatArt did it first http://fav.me/d4ejrts ), back then I (and most other fanartists out there) imagined him with hair. Even in the romance mod is a dialouge in which he explaines, why he isn't shaved bald like all other Thayans.

Actually I have always imagined him bald (Of course I always knew the thay customs from reading the old novel Red Magic) and I never did the Edwin romance mod...what was his answer pertaining to his hair, if you remember?
    edited December 2012
    Well, I didn't had a slightest clue about the Lore when I started playing BG for the first time xD I only knew a little bit about Drow, but that's it.
    Edwin explains that on the one hand his hair grows ununsually fast and on the other hand he cares more about his looks than about the Thayan traditions. He just looks more ~*fabulous*~ with hair (that's not his choice of words, but still ...)
    What's that with men and their hair anyway? I met a lot men who were very obsessed about their hair...
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    So, which one of you kids wants to touch my furry hamster?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    edited December 2012

Xan would clearly capitalise on his sunny disposition by working as children's entertainer- a puppeteer!

Moomintroll's Xan

The puppets look so adorable. :)
    Post edited by sandmanCCL on

Well, I didn't had a slightest clue about the Lore when I started playing BG for the first time xD I only knew a little bit about Drow, but that's it.
    Edwin explains that on the one hand his hair grows ununsually fast and on the other hand he cares more about his looks than about the Thayan traditions. He just looks more ~*fabulous*~ with hair (that's not his choice of words, but still ...)
    What's that with men and their hair anyway? I met a lot men who were very obsessed about their hair...

<.< Because hair is amazing...I have rather long hair, and I enjoy it...why is that so weird, WHY?! >.>;;

And I suppose that would be fine, since he keeps it covered and he pretty much keeps away from thay.
    BUT...

Lore lesson: Hair is actually how they separate the wizards from the slaves. The length of a slaves hair dictates how long they have been owned. If a fellow red wizard caught edwin with a head of hair...it would not be pretty.
    I know about the slave hair thingy ;)
    But since he he kinda is an outcast anyway, I guess he just doesn't give a f*ck anymore.

Or to be a bit more logical: Baldur's Gate is full of Lore mistakes. It can hardly be considered canon to the whole Forgotten Realms campaign anyway. So who cares about Edwin's ~*fabulous*~ hair?

[...] And, I think that Minsc as a kindergarten teacher is about the coolest, most awesome idea I've heard in a long time. The kids sure would love him!

And the parents and other teachers would hate him x'D

I know about the slave hair thingy ;)
    But since he he kinda is an outcast anyway, I guess he just doesn't give a f*ck anymore.

Or to be a bit more logical: Baldur's Gate is full of Lore mistakes. It can hardly be considered canon to the whole Forgotten Realms campaign anyway. So who cares about Edwin's ~*fabulous*~ hair?

Edwin doesn't five a f*** about anything, and that's why people love him (I think?)

And helm damnit it SHOULD be considered canon!
    Well, he does give a damn about his hair, his magic and sex, as he allways tells us how good he is in bed... sombody has a little complex here, yes? Which gives me an idea... take a look in the meme thread. I posted something there ;)
    I really wonder why he doesn't run around with a huge sword, hehe.

About the canon stuff:
    The whole story of the game didn't even happen acording to the campaign book. Gosh, it would be so awesome if it would have been *droll*

About the canon stuff:
    The whole story of the game didn't even happen acording to the campaign book. Gosh, it would be so awesome if it would have been *droll*

Actually it DID happen. Its mentioned in both Grand History of the Realms, as well as Lost Empires of Faerun (A 3.5e suppliment)
  • PinkRosePinkRose Member Posts: 102
    Which campaign book, @buttercheese?
    edited December 2012
    "Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting" ISBN: 0-7869-1836-5

The only thing they mention in the official timeline there regarding BG is that Bhaal died during the Time of Troubles. No word of Gorion, the Iron Throne fall, the Iron Crisis, near destruction of Suldanesselar, destruction of Saradush or a Bhaalspawn becoming a new god.

PS: The forgotten realms wiki also states that the BG saga is not canon.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting" ISBN: 0-7869-1836-5

The only thing they mention in the official timeline there regarding BG is that Bhaal died during the Time of Troubles. No word of Gorion, the Iron Throne fall, the Iron Crisis, near destruction of Suldanesselar, destruction of Saradush or a Bhaalspawn becoming a new god.

PS: The forgotten realms wiki also states that the BG saga is not canon.

Severok Anchev and Abdel Adrian as well as the Iron Throne chrisis are mentioned in GHoTR, and thats enough evidence for me.
    edited December 2012
    Abdel Adrian is the protagonist of the BG novels, isn't he? Never read those books (because I heard they were god-awful).
    But, yeah, that's sounds like a good evidence for me. I actually had a discussion with my GM about if BG was canon or not. The book you mentioned is 4th edition, I suppose by the looks of the cover. That would explain, why my GM also said that BG is not canon xD

Abdel Adrian is the protagonist of the BG novels, isn't he? Never read those books (because I heard they were god-awful).
    But, yeah, that's sounds like a good evidence for me. I actually had a discussion with my GM about if BG was canon or not. The book you mentioned is 4th edition, I suppose by the looks of the cover. That would explain, why my GM also said that BG is not canon xD

1) the books ARE god-awful, I implore you never to read them or you will be filled with burning rage.

2) GHotR is actually a book that covers all editions. What it is is every time-line released from every Realms suppliment since 87 collected as a single book.

3) The cover is non-time-line specific. Its simply Drizzt Dourden and Guenhwyvar standing on a mountain in Icewind Dale.
    Ah, no, not the motive, the design of the cover. The 3rd edition all have this brown leather or fancy gem design. The 4th edition books have Illustrations with some descreed writing. That's why I thought it would have come out in for the 4th edition. I didn't want to implement that it only contains 4th edition material. It's just that many players boycott everything that came after 3.5. Including campaign only books.

Ah, no, not the motive, the design of the cover. The 3rd edition all have this brown leather or fancy gem design. The 4th edition books have Illustrations with some descreed writing. That's why I thought it would have come out in for the 4th edition. I didn't want to implement that it only contains 4th edition material. It's just that many players boycott everything that came after 3.5. Including campaign only books.

Well the rules supplements, yes. But GHotR actually has 0 D&D rules in it, it is 100% a fluffy history book. If your a Realms enthusiast I would highly recommend trying to find a copy somewhere.
    Yeah i thought so. Never played 4th edition by myself, the guy from my local comicbook/ rpg store just told me that I should rather play pathfinder I should get myself a copy of the 3rd edition story books somewere.
    I was actually thinking about purchasing it, if it wasn't so expensive ^^' Maybe I'll find a cheap one on ebay or something.

Yeah i thought so. Never played 4th edition by myself, the guy from my local comicbook/ rpg store just told me that I should rather play pathfinder I should get myself a copy of the 3rd edition story books somewere.
    I was actually thinking about purchasing it, if it wasn't so expensive ^^' Maybe I'll find a cheap one on ebay or something.

Story books? Do you mean the novels? or something more game-related?
    No no, the campaign stuff. Not the novels.