Skip to content

Reviewing Mods @ The Smoldering Mods Bar

LlewrenLlewren Member Posts: 42
Hi! This is the new main thread for the Smoldering Mods Bar.

bqjss9x8um3z.png

What is the Smoldering Mods Bar?

SMB is a website I created in 2022 to write feature-length reviews for Infinity Engine mods. Originally, it was only for NPC mods, with the intent of shining the spotlight on some underrated gems and encouraging people to try new things, as well as retrospection on the history of modding with reviews of some well known classics.

Since then, the project has evolved into a discussion of all sorts of mods, from quests, to rewrites and reworks, NPCs, and more. There are a lot of reviews — and many more still to come.

Which mods get reviewed?

I'll give anything and everything a fair shot, but I have an ever-growing list of the mods that I plan to review in the future, in no particular order. It often comes down to what I feel like playing, in order to avoid getting burnt out.

Can you review my mod?

Yes! If you've recently released a mod, and you're interested in seeing it discussed, please go ahead and link it in a reply to this thread. Talking about new mods in a positive light is one of the great pleasures of writing these reviews.

I’ll use this thread to update on the reviews and whatever future projects may come along. Writing these reviews is first and foremost for my own enjoyment and discovery of new mods, but I love that so many people have joined me in this. I eternally appreciate your readership.

If you’re looking for more discussion about mods or you’re looking for something new, I recommend checking out the Mod Spotlights posted by @ineth here on the forums.

Comments

• LlewrenLlewren Member Posts: 42
    edited May 28
    Recently added to the lineup of reviews hosted on the Smoldering Mods Bar, we have…
    Post edited by Llewren on
    I've published several more mod reviews and plan to steadily release more on a weekly basis. The site recently achieved 100,000 lifetime views, which doesn't mean terribly much, but I am grateful that anyone at all thinks my musings are worth their time.

New reviews:
    • The Neera Expansion mod for BG1, for those who enjoy the pink-haired wild mage, whether as a friend or partner.
    • Indira NPC, an old mod from an age now passed, but one that is still worthy of consideration.
    • The Vanishing of Skie Silvershield, a small expansion that allows one to recruit Skie and Eldoth earlier into the game, with a cute new quest to boot.
    A new review! A little later than anticipated but it was hard to articulate my thoughts on this one. Overall: extremely positive! Congratulations @Acifer and co. for creating something that's just so cool.
    • Call of the Lost Goddess, a large quest mod for Baldur's Gate II that sees the player embark on perhaps their grandest journey yet.
    Over the last month I've had the pleasure of playing and reviewing the Athkatlan Grounds series by @LavaDelVortel and I am pleased to give each of them an easy recommendation for wonderful expansions to the city of Athkatla! Read the reviews below!
    • Southern Edge, a new city area that organically adds new quests, interactions, and items into the game — with a few familiar faces, too.
    • Ooze's Lounge, a wonderfully mysterious little nook in Athkatla's sewer system that is home to some of the city's less welcome denizens.
    • Tangled Oak Isle A town absorbed into Athkatla that feels like BG2's very own Ulgoth's Beard. Solve mysteries, join a book club, and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere.
    • Bridge's Block, a small quest mod that's about as unintrusive as an expansion can be! Solve yet another mystery lurking in the Bridge District and return peace to a small community hiding in plain sight.
    • Alabaster Sands, a mod that stands as perhaps my favourite modded addition to the city of Athkatla available. Cute, fun, and none too out of place.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,822
    Thanks for reviewing all of these! :)