Skip to content

Baldur´s Gate IV

TarlugnTarlugn Member Posts: 209
Since I surely did not expect the 3rd sequel to the franchise, I was quite suprised to read some WotC representative to say, that since the 3rd was such a success, they´d like a 4th in less than 25 years. There was even a paragraph how discussions were on their way with the usual suspects! I haven´t played the 3rd, nor even bought it yet, since I´m waiting for sales, so I can´t say much about what the story could be like, or what game engine would be used, but I can say, that after I was hyped enough by Pathfinder:Kingmaker to upgrade my hardware, I was equally anti-hyped after Pathfinder:Wrath of the Righteous´s release from the statement that there wouldn´t be 3rd, since the license had a time limit. I´d be all in for isometric crpgs to have a future wherein I could have front catalogue instead of a backlog, where trying releases before the 1st Baldur´s Gate, like even the last Golden Box release of ... Savage Frontier, leads me mostly to a realization that I am incompatible with keyboard interface to a point where i can almost grok it, but not quite.

Comments

• ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 429
    I've read some articles saying there would probably be a BG4 due to BG3's huge success as well. It's interesting that as successful as BG3 has been, that Larian is going to be doing a different project and BG4 would likely be done by a different company.

Most of this is speculation at this point. As a huge fan of the BG series, I'm excited to see the resurrection, if you will, of this series that has been an all time favorite of mine. B)
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,588
    It's sort of unfortunate imo that Larian wants to move on. Even though I'm not a huge fan of D&D 5th edition in video games, I think the ruleset did help a bit in reining in some of poorer aspects of character building from the original sin games. But there's alot to say for the power of iteration producing some high quality games. BG2 obviously benefited alot from that. I'd argue much of the Tales of the Sword Coast content did too.

Even Original Sin 2 benefited from this. I do think a second stab at a D&D game would've been outstanding. But oh well.

I suspect what we'll get are a bunch of "Dark Alliance" type spinoff games from one studio or maybe various studios for a few years now. I don't think any studio wants to take on the pressure of a BG4 any time soon. But I do think we see one eventually, maybe in 5 years.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,326
    While BG3 wasn't a perfect interpretation of 5E rules (and this is both a good and bad thing, because some things in tabletop simply do not translate very well into a CRPG, AND there are also some 5E rules that are simply obnoxious and annoying and every single table house-rules them to be different), overall I was very impressed with Larian's production on BG3. My lingering gripes about the links to the earlier BG games aside, it IS a very fun and engaging D&D CRPG, and I would recommend it to any D&D fan without hesitation.

I was also very surprised to hear that Larian is moving on already; BG3 is such a commercial and critical success that it seems almost foolish to walk away from something that's perfectly primed for expansions and sequels. Truth be told, I can't shake the feeling that something very bad went down behind the scenes between Larian and WotC/Hasbro and it's ruined the working relationship, but neither party is speaking more on the matter so it will have to remain speculation. Officially, Larian's stance is that they're simply burned out on D&D for a while and want to go back to their own or new IPs (which is also very possible. They've been working on BG3 for 6+ years, which is a VERY long development time for video games.)

Like most of you though, I'm fully expecting WotC to make a second go at leveraging the BG IP. WotC are in the process of building up their own internal video game department, so it's entirely possible that BG4 will be developed completely in-house. In the meantime however, I expect WotC will probably shop the IP around to various other developers to see if they'd be interested in developing DLC/expansions for BG3. (Obsidian Entertainment is one possible candidate; after all, they have a track record of doing similar things for other RPG and D&D titles in the past, like for KotOR, Neverwinter Nights, and Fallout.)