Skip to content

Game Patch: 1.0.2008 *UPDATE: Crash Reports!*

DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
There's a new patch available, which you can apply when you load up the standalone launcher or the beamdog client. For those players using the client, the announcement describing the content of the patch won't display, so here it is:
New patch with fixes for unicode characters in paths, mouse cursors not showing up, crash reporting.
The crash reporting is handled through a crash dump file that's created any time the game crashes. These files are placed in the Documents\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition directory, in the "crash" folder.

UPDATE: Send us your .dmp files!

In order to fix things more efficiently, the developers have asked that .dmp files be brought to their attention. A .dmp file is important for finding the source of a crash, which then makes preventing future crashes easier.

If your game crashes, the game now creates a .dmp file under Documents\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\crash, which you can email directly to me at beamdmp@gmail.com and I'll make sure it gets seen. These .dmp files are invaluable for figuring out not just what's happening on your system, but also why it's causing your game to crash, which will allow the developers to find a solution.

Finally--and this is very important: Do not install a mod on your game unless it has been confirmed to be compatible with the Enhanced Edition. This is ultimately the root cause of a lot of the problems people are experiencing (or enough to warrant this reminder, at least). If you're wanting to use a favorite mod, just be patient; a lot of the modders are beta testers so they've had a bit of a head start, but it still may take some time to update all of them. Installing the old mods can cause instabilities in your game, which may cause the game to crash or render it otherwise unplayable.
Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• eyeofthegoateyeofthegoat Member Posts: 26
    I've noticed a patch came out recently: hooray! I assume it helped resolve some problems for at least some people. Is there any way to see patch notes as they come out?
  • mercurymeltdownmercurymeltdown Member Posts: 49
    It was a patch for the launcher
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    mercurymeltdown *blows kiss*
    *casts protection from kisses*

Oh hey, an update. Cool!
  • DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    ...stupid spells.. *mumblesrakemfrakem..*
  • eyeofthegoateyeofthegoat Member Posts: 26

It literally came out in the last 6 minutes. I know, because I've had to launch the game about 10 times in the past hour.

Basically....

New patch with fixes for unicode characters in paths, mouse cursors not showing up, crash reporting
    Not much, but the game only launched less than 48 hours, so I'm happy to see it. It demonstrates a commitment on Beamdog's part to further polish the game (which is something it desperately needs).

But wait... How do you know all this? I just want to get a sense of where you can find all this stuff when the patches come out each time.
    It says so in the launcher. "New patch with fixes for unicode characters in paths, mouse cursors not showing up, crash reporting."
  • RilburRilbur Member Posts: 54

It says so in the launcher. "New patch with fixes for unicode characters in paths, mouse cursors not showing up, crash reporting."

I want your launcher. Mine still shows the 'Baldur's Gate is out!' message.
    Rilbur said:

I want your launcher. Mine still shows the 'Baldur's Gate is out!' message.

Mine updated about 20 minutes ago
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    There was a launcher and game update today. Launcher was several hours ago, game was a couple hours ago.
  • ArcadorArcador Member Posts: 22
    The crash report thing should increase the efficiency of... crash fixes.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    edited December 2012

i wish they added a version number in the main menu to tell if we are up to date,unless there is one but I can't find it.

Version number is in the Options screen once you start or load a game.
    Post edited by Jalily on
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459

i wish they added a version number in the main menu to tell if we are up to date,unless there is one but I can't find it.

You can see the version number in the menu screen whenever you have a game loaded. The current version is 1.0.2008 (updated from 1.0.2007)

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited December 2012
    Quick update. Glad to see them getting on top of things :)
  • MeizMeiz Member Posts: 18
    Mouse scrolling in journal at least! :)
  • VisualDeadlockVisualDeadlock Member Posts: 5
    thank god about the mouse cursors, was happening when equipping items that go in the chest/helmet area, i.e. the top slots.
  • Brygard2012Brygard2012 Member Posts: 11
    Kilivitz said:

You can see the version number in the menu screen whenever you have a game loaded. The current version is 1.0.2008 (updated from 1.0.2007)

AH! So that's where it is on the option menu after the save game is loaded.

Thanks for the info.

Never would notice that there,still hope they move it to the main menu and not on the option menu after a game is loaded but oh well this will do.

• DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    edited December 2012
    the big question is: is the FPS fixed? can it finally be played at 60 FPS instead of that half-speed crawling monstrosity?
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    They've took out cursor issue.
    Map markers doesn't crash your game anymore
    Probably more fixes, that I don't know of.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    When I booted up the software this morning, there was an option to apply an update. Anyone know what it fixes? I haven't had any bugs or crashes yet, just wondering if they announced anything.
  • cryocorecryocore Member Posts: 121
    What a load of crap. The team is of a similar size of the original Bioware Baldur's Gate team and took longer to release EE than it took Bioware to makes the game, the assets, and design and code the engine. They deserve EVERY ounce of complaint directed at them. They promised to release an Enhanced Edition and instead released a buggier version with game killing bugs, and design choices that make it worse than the original game (removed/replaced cinematics, and 30 frame limit being two). Its idiots defending a company that releases broken products that is part of the problem, is there any other indlustry where it is ok to sell a product that just doesnt work?
  • ElofElof Member Posts: 42
    I've been having regular crashes after playing for an hour or two (usually when leaving areas) and I get some of the other issues quite regularly (like having to click twice to make characters move). But I love that they fixed a load of issues with the original like charisma being basically useless, the proficiency chart, etc.

To my eyes what overhaul have done so far is take a game that was stable but had game play bugs and overhauled it into an unstable game with no game play bugs.
This discussion has been closed.