Skip to content

Game Patch: 1.0.2008 *UPDATE: Crash Reports!*

Comments

• CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    Ok, thanks guys, less bugs for all is a good thing. I know Overhaul won't be giving up any time soon and will continue to improve our beloved BG!

As for the whiners and complainers, have you ever held a serious job where people counted on you for things, and made a mistake or missed something? It happens, but as long as you are open and honest with who your product is going to (like overhaul has been with us), striving to correct the problem is what you can (and should) set out to do as swiftly as possible.

Cheers to all, and happy adventuring!
  • BollywoodHeroBollywoodHero Member Posts: 89
    Is there a change log? I can't see what was changed from the beamdog client or on the forum
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398

Is there a change log? I can't see what was changed from the beamdog client or on the forum

http://www.beamdog.com/files/motd/en/766.txt

• davendaven Member Posts: 112
    I only had 1 crash. Whatever, life goes on. Enjoying the game that's for sure.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    Not excusing anything. I have had only one crash so far (cloakwood which is being addressed) and the rest of the game is much better than the original in my opinion. Plays very well on my PC and loving it.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    I'm not overwhelmed by BG:EE (the change in cinematics, the loss of the opening Nietzsche quote, and other subtractions from the original content make my eye twitch, and they really need to clean up the stats summary presentations on the inventory screen) but… *sigh* Interwebz.

Baldur's Gate and Tales of the Sword Coast still sit in their 6-CD glory in two boxes on my bookshelf. I bought them at release, paying whatever the MSRP was at the time, to be sure. I bought GOG's versions just last night to satisfy my mod cravings while on the go without having to keep remembering to bring that ToB CD everywhere.

But I enjoy BG:EE and will stick to playing it untainted by external mods for now (as sort of a personal challenge/constraint, especially considering I'm playing a monk) and, while again not overwhelmed, I'm not gonna go all bellicose. I do hope Overhaul et al maintain an objective, critical eye towards their work, taking into account the valid criticisms that one can find 'midst the butt-hurt.
  • stardog765stardog765 Member Posts: 48
    Well I hope that I am just not seeing the post but surely they have posted somewhere what this patch does?
    Anywhere? Somewhere?
    Nevermind I see it in the news section of the launcher. haha
    Cant be troubled to make a post on the forums huh? I tell ya there has been very little communication from the devs since launch. I mean I guess they have our money now so no real need to to communicate.

:/
  • BeastmanBeastman Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2012
    @cryocore Well then I'am one of those idiots. But then again, i'm a lucky idiot because my version of BGEE doesn't cause major problems up until now and i'm about 12 hours into the game. Perhaps you should give proper bug-reports instead of insulting people and then you are helped?
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Where is the news section of the launcher? I don't see one on my Beamdog screen.
    edited December 2012
    Oh yes I wasnt saying that was actually communicating with us haha.

Its all pretty sad actually. This launch has gone amazingly bad, even for a small house.

If they do a BG2 they will likely not get money from me unless they do something to seriously turn this launch around like buy me a case a beer or come over and give my dog a bath or something.

• mercurymeltdownmercurymeltdown Member Posts: 49

the big question is: is the FPS fixed? can it finally be played at 60 FPS instead of that half-speed crawling monstrosity?

Did you try editing baldur.ini? I set mine to 35 but I can't tell if it made a difference.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Kithrixx said:

Realistically, the launch has gone pretty well, aside from some minor hiccups. It's just that the people that are encountering problems are exceptionally vocal about them, while the 95% that didn't encounter problems were busy playing the game and not writing about how mad they were.

It's strange how that gets said on each and every videogame release, even at the most buggiest bugfests. I'd say we wait and see and judge the launch six months from now. I have a feeling that it might go both ways, but it's way to early to come out and make such bold statements.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I've merged these two threads together.

In the standalone launcher, the patch notes are displayed in the news feed. I'm not sure where they should be in the Beamdog client.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Aosaw, ah, I don't think a newsfeed exists in the Beamdog client. I thought the devs preferred the use of their own client?
    I couldn't speak to what they prefer. I like the standalone launcher because it feels more Baldur's Gate-y. ;)
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Its just too bad that pressing "Apply Update" causes the program to stop working :P
  • BW022BW022 Member Posts: 5
    Mine has been saying "Getting download info..." for the last two hours. :-(
  • AlequeAleque Member Posts: 149
    Hi

I see the new patch is out. Where do I read detailed patch notes of the latest patches (and preferably an archive of old patches as well)?

Thanks
  • ObjulenObjulen Member Posts: 93
    Seriously, the whining is pretty ridiculous. Yes, the launch could have gone more smoothly, and there are some bugs, but between people a) expecting something that just wasn't advertised or going to be a part of the game and b) people who don't get how impossible it is to make a PC game work for everyone due to all the possible hardware configurations, etc, it's pretty silly.

Especially for a $20 game. Your hard earned money? Serious? $20? Please get off the entitlement horse for a moment and take a deep breath. Yes, it's frustrating when the game doesn't work right out of the box, but I doubt there has been a PC game ever designed that doesn't have some varying degree of issues for some people out of the box. It's the nature of the beast.

Whining solves nothing. Trying being constructive. If it bothers you that much, don't by the next game, or wait a few months for patching before you buy it.
  • Capac_AmaruCapac_Amaru Member Posts: 21
    Leandir said:

You've got it backwards. It's people like yourself, the constant whiners, who provide a disservice to every gamer out there.

Here's a company that decided to re-release an ancient great game and make it functional for modern computers. They added in a bunch of new stuff to give you a fresher experience. The new cutscenes are subjective. I can understand everyone clinging to the old ones.

It's a small team rehauling a classic. Too many gamers these days complain about every little thing, too much entitlement really. The launch was far from perfect but spending $20 to support this team of developers so they could release BG:EE was more than worth it. Not only that, the developers continue to support the game with patches and improvements wherever they can.

But please tell me more about how it's a bad thing for customers to support a company enough to fix things. Let's bash them into the ground instead, right? I'll take being constructive over being destructive any day.

They didn't re-release Baldur's Gate as a present, they did it to make money. They are building on 14 years of modders experience which is freely available for research purposes, and 14 years of software and hardware improvement and they have released something marginally better than the efforts of modders who did it for free, that's full of bugs and broken features that worked fine in the original (and remember that if we were all giving the modders $20 then they would be 'cease and desisted' before your download finished).

It IS a bad thing to support companies that release BROKEN products, especially when they encourage pre-purchasing like the games industry. Releasing things that WORK is the default, but I guess gamers are just so used to getting shafted that they don't realize this anymore, as well as being inured to false advertising.

It is everybody's responsibility to make their concerns and complaints known, and heard, because you can't rely on a company that has already got your money (and much more lucrative projects to work on) to do anything out of the goodness of their hearts, and if you think otherwise then your knowledge of how business works should be considered somewhat lacking.

Again, this game should not have been released in this unfinished state. To release it as it is and claim it as a fully featured product AS ADVERTISED is appalling.

There is no such thing as 'destructive' criticism. There is unfounded criticism, abusive criticism, bad criticism, etc. The only people who use the term 'destructive' criticism are people who can't TAKE criticism. Like Bioware.

It continues to sadden me the abuse people are forced to endure for the crime of standing up for their consumer rights.
    I've merged these threads into an announcement so that people can see the patch announcement more clearly.

Also, I'm not going to discourage people from expressing frustrations about the game's release, but please keep the discussion civil. If I see people making personal attacks against other users (either for supporting the game or for not supporting the game), that's going to be a problem.
  • PugPugPugPug Member Posts: 560
    Cool, glad to see this game will be supported post-release.

I know it was said it would be, I'm just sayin'.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Excellent. Thanks for the continued support.
  • LeandirLeandir Member Posts: 2

Leandir said:

You've got it backwards. It's people like yourself, the constant whiners, who provide a disservice to every gamer out there.

Here's a company that decided to re-release an ancient great game and make it functional for modern computers. They added in a bunch of new stuff to give you a fresher experience. The new cutscenes are subjective. I can understand everyone clinging to the old ones.

It's a small team rehauling a classic. Too many gamers these days complain about every little thing, too much entitlement really. The launch was far from perfect but spending $20 to support this team of developers so they could release BG:EE was more than worth it. Not only that, the developers continue to support the game with patches and improvements wherever they can.

But please tell me more about how it's a bad thing for customers to support a company enough to fix things. Let's bash them into the ground instead, right? I'll take being constructive over being destructive any day.

They didn't re-release Baldur's Gate as a present, they did it to make money. They are building on 14 years of modders experience which is freely available for research purposes, and 14 years of software and hardware improvement and they have released something marginally better than the efforts of modders who did it for free, that's full of bugs and broken features that worked fine in the original (and remember that if we were all giving the modders $20 then they would be 'cease and desisted' before your download finished).

It IS a bad thing to support companies that release BROKEN products, especially when they encourage pre-purchasing like the games industry. Releasing things that WORK is the default, but I guess gamers are just so used to getting shafted that they don't realize this anymore, as well as being inured to false advertising.

It is everybody's responsibility to make their concerns and complaints known, and heard, because you can't rely on a company that has already got your money (and much more lucrative projects to work on) to do anything out of the goodness of their hearts, and if you think otherwise then your knowledge of how business works should be considered somewhat lacking.

Again, this game should not have been released in this unfinished state. To release it as it is and claim it as a fully featured product AS ADVERTISED is appalling.

There is no such thing as 'destructive' criticism. There is unfounded criticism, abusive criticism, bad criticism, etc. The only people who use the term 'destructive' criticism are people who can't TAKE criticism. Like Bioware.

It continues to sadden me the abuse people are forced to endure for the crime of standing up for their consumer rights.
    I think you're just trolling now. Either way, the game works fine for me and a lot of other people. The bug forum obviously shows there are some issues for the other portion who tried to play. The whole paragraph about how "your complaints should be made known" is kind of bizarre. Especially because I did say you should be posting bug reports. You can do this in a civil manner or you can do this in a juvenile manner.

And there is such a thing as destructive criticism. I don't know what to tell you. It's not an opinion, it's just a fact.

Most people who had to deal with crashes and bugs are "standing up for their consumer rights". They post up their bug reports and express a bit of disappointment here and there. Then there's people like you who try to form a crusade against the company, trying to convince everyone they're the anti-christ.

This discussion has been closed.