Skip to content

Game Patch: 1.0.2008 *UPDATE: Crash Reports!*

Comments

• IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    I can only see one big mistake which has been made... When you take a pc game, port it to tablets and take that port, remove the core which is necessary for running on tablets and replace that with a pc compatible core and do not recreate some new created artwork from the tablet version for the pc because of money and time problems - things have the tendency to get a bit troublesome.

I really do not say that the Beamdog guys are a complete failure, like some posts do suggest that, all what happened seems just because of not having enough resources, time, and a certain amount of miscalculation and not enough foresight.

That stuff can hit every company with every product, but since Beamdog already enhanced one game before Baldur's Gate, one would guess that this should have been already enough learning process.

BUT:

As long as the Beamdog Devs are willing to repair the damage which has happened to that miscalculations and not enough foresight - in other words, deliver a better GUI for the Windows Version and removing the Hardware troubles which have been created of porting the game from one machine to the other and backwards, they can restore at least a bit of their damaged reputation.

Do not get me wrong, No matter from which perspective you may see it, there has some bad stuff happened, and the buying fraction can be pretty onforgiving, but i guess, we should give the Devs a fair chance before we damn them to hell :)

• marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    Why are none of these updates available to the press review edition? You really want us to review based on 1.0.2005?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @marfig
    Send a message to @TrentOster or @PhillipDaigle. I'm sure it was just an oversight.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    where can i find where it says what was updated? someone said its in the "news" heading on the launcher, but the beam dog launcher that i have has no news heading
    sarevok57 said:

where can i find where it says what was updated? someone said its in the "news" heading on the launcher, but the beam dog launcher that i have has no news heading

Check the first post of this thread. The stand-alone launcher has the announcement, but the Beamdog client doesn't.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    I don't have issues with complaints or people vocalising their frustrations. I do have issues when it is done over and over and over in multiple threads with nothing constructive behind it. Just the same old bile and vitriol being spewed again and again.
  • IkonNavrosIkonNavros Member Posts: 227
    @decado There is always a thin line between constructive critic and flaming. I personally do very much disagree which people who attack others in a hurting or humiliating way, since acting like that is not acceptable at all :)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Aosaw Did the patch remove certain .ARE files from the override? The BG Mini Quests and Encounters mod worked perfectly before patching, but post-patch it won't install at all due to missing .AREs.
    It looks like it did. Probably a hold-over from the beta. I'll bring it up.
  • msgbox2007msgbox2007 Member Posts: 4
    this is not a good start at all. serious problem with the cursor disappearing in inventory and glitching, I have to quit the game, also it looks like the game has been hacked together with a lot of ex-modders doing the job and just releasing it full of bugs like that. and where is this patch might I asked? download links anyone ??? when I open program it does not update? for fucks sake fix it and tell us where the patch is.
    One thing that is guaranteed to piss off the public that pay for these type of games is stupid bugs like that should have been caught before release.
  • PernathPernath Member Posts: 2
    Is the patch downloadable outside of the launcher? (It crashes when I clic on the "update" button and Beamdog won't download the game in the right directory, causing it to crash as well.)
    If I could manually install this patch I'd be glad to have that pathfinding correction. On a side note I can understand if the dev wait until they have enough content to put all the patches in a single .exe or compressed file to manually install.
    it does the cursor bug when changing helmet, large shield, long bow. long sword was ok. will persist but this must be embarrassing for Trent on a first release that should be corrected.
    @msgbox2007
    The patch should fix that, although I'm concerned that you're not seeing the "Apply Update" button. Try deleting the "766.beam" and "766.status" files (they should be in Program Files\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data), and open the launcher again; it should grab the latest update for you.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054

this is not a good start at all. serious problem with the cursor disappearing in inventory and glitching, I have to quit the game, also it looks like the game has been hacked together with a lot of ex-modders doing the job and just releasing it full of bugs like that. and where is this patch might I asked? download links anyone ??? when I open program it does not update? for fucks sake fix it and tell us where the patch is.
    One thing that is guaranteed to piss off the public that pay for these type of games is stupid bugs like that should have been caught before release.

Alt-Enter - play in window mode as a temp workaround.

However this is an issue which was fixed in this patch. Hope you can get it soon.

• Napkin_LadNapkin_Lad Member Posts: 12
    I downloaded the patch last night, and when playing a few minutes ago my cursor disappeared when moving some robes around in my inventory, doesn't seem fixed quite yet.
    cannot find those files and it does not give me the option to update at all...
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    I simply don't get it - no bugs/crashes/hiccups/flaws/lag/blue screen/glitches at my place. Game works perfectly and after 35 hours I've been more or less everywhere.

Game is immensely faster than the original, - blink load - blink reload - blink new area.

New music score is brilliant, been humming the intro sequence for a while.

The inventory overview is way beter organized.

The journal is spot on, oh how buggy it was in original BG

I'm very critical by nature, and by no standards a fanboy, and I seriously can't imagine why anyone would but praise this realease.

P.S

WHERE'S NIETZCHE ????
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    edited December 2012
    Ironically, the only crash I've had playing this game comes from whenever I try to apply update from the stand alone launcher. Obviously, this patch isn't for me, but I am concerned about what this could mean down the road for further patching and DLC. I really don't want to dl another client on to my computer. Is there some other way to dl and install patches?
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140

I downloaded the patch last night, and when playing a few minutes ago my cursor disappeared when moving some robes around in my inventory, doesn't seem fixed quite yet.

This may sound like a stupid question, but did you uncheck the new option concerning Hardware Mouse?
  • PernathPernath Member Posts: 2
    Well for some reason updating via the launcher worked after a few tries/restarts.
    Still a manual download/install for the patches would be a great thing. It would be great if I want to replay the game in fifteen years and the servers are down ;)
  • elfuegoelfuego Member Posts: 28

People who complain about the game being buggy at release should buy a 5CD-disc copy of Baldur's Gate 1, not patch it (as there was no patch at the release of BG1), play it for a few days and than evaluate their own judgmental judgements here on this forum about BGEE on launch day.

If I may, I own the 5 disc version of BG1, I have it installed and I can still start it and play it, no patches included. I cannot say the same for BGEE - which doenst even start, and its already patched. :*(
    UPDATE: Send us your .dmp files!

In order to fix things more efficiently, the developers have asked that .dmp files be brought to their attention. A .dmp file is important for finding the source of a crash, which then makes preventing future crashes easier.

So when you report a crash (using the Bugs/BGEE forum), remember to attach the .dmp file to your post in a zip file. Same thing if you're sending an email reporting a crash to support@beamdog.com; attach the .dmp file along with the details of the crash.

Thanks!
    (I've also added this text to the first post of this thread)
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    How big (file size) is the patch? There's no information prior or during download on the beamdog client.
    PeteAtoms said:

This may sound like a stupid question, but did you uncheck the new option concerning Hardware Mouse?
    I left it at whatever it's default was, do I need to uncheck it?
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    edited December 2012

PeteAtoms said:

Unchecking it was what fixed it for me. Your mileage may vary? I'm not sure, I think it worked for a couple of other users as well. There's no harm in trying*.

* j/k, I don't have the credentials to make that kind of claim :p But seriously, unchecking solves my cursor problem. Checking it again just brings the problem back.
  • BorsookBorsook Member Posts: 152
    While I had no problems before it, after the patch I can't run the game in fullscreen mode (all I see is a white screen)...
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Aosaw, thank you for providing an announcement thread to support the new patch in the forums, and for including all previous posts from today about it, even the negative ones.

In scanning the thread, I haven't seen mention of the fact that the patch fixes the problem with THAC0 numbers displaying incorrectly in the inventory screen. It does, and, that's a huge and very welcome fix.
    PeteAtoms said:

PeteAtoms said:

Unchecking it was what fixed it for me. Your mileage may vary? I'm not sure, I think it worked for a couple of other users as well. There's no harm in trying*.

* j/k, I don't have the credentials to make that kind of claim :p But seriously, unchecking solves my cursor problem. Checking it again just brings the problem back.
    TY, will try that.
  • MunchkinXQMunchkinXQ Member Posts: 25
    Blank white screen after this update. Can't even play now.
This discussion has been closed.