Skip to content

Having a bit of Exp Problems

I've cleared the game and decided to have some fun with the game and level up some new characters. I've done it through using the Drizzt summoning and just summoning greater basilisks and letting him have at them because i didn't want to use the give XP cheat. Now my characters are stuck at 161000 exp and can't get any more exp. That means i'm stuck at lvl 8. That can't be the levelcap nowadays, could it? Even killing things legitimately doesn't help. I do not get any exp from quests either.

I have tried reseting the Baldur.ini file to it's original state but it seems nothing helps. Are my characters screwed?

Comments

• KeadinKeadin Member Posts: 7
    161k is in fact the experience cap in Tales of the Sword Coast. The cap goes up in Shadows of Amn and Throne of Bhaal :)
  • DreamEnXDreamEnX Member Posts: 3
    Huh... There you go. Why do the monk class mention that it can be brought up to lvl 20? Is that in Throne of bhaal then?
  • KeadinKeadin Member Posts: 7
    Yes it is, the class descriptions are for the whole course of the class, not just up to the maximum level they can reach in Baldur's Gate. That lets you plan ahead in case you want to import said character into the BG2:EE sequel.
  • DreamEnXDreamEnX Member Posts: 3
    As i suspected. Well, thx for the info and i guess looking forward to SoA is the next step XD
  • ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    edited December 2012
    @DreamEnX as Keadin mentioned, the original 161k XP cap was not changed, the devs felt that increasing it would too seriously unbalance the game and the beginning of BG2 if higher level characters were imported. Changing the XP cap isn't too difficult, just involves editing a couple of .2da files I believe.

If you don't want to/can't do it yourself, I'll refer you to this thread, where @mlnevese has been kind enough to upload the properly edited files offsite. All you need to do is download them and place them in your "Override" folder. If that hasn't been created yet, you'll need to create it in your "00766" folder. So the full path should be, for example:

"C:\Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766\Override"

The edited .2da files should be directly inside the "Override" folder. So, in the case that the download is an override folder itself (with the .2da files inside; which I think might be the case), you wouldn't need to create a new one, but rather just transfer the downloaded "Override" folder (after unzipping if necessary) to "00766"
    Post edited by ElectricMonk on
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited December 2012
    Changing the cap is quite simple. It had me scratching my head when changing xpcap.2da did not do the trick. The fact is that now that the engine can handle more than one campaign at once, Overhaul gave us a way of giving different caps to different campaigns, in BG:EE's case the original story and the Black Pits have different caps.

Just a word of warning, the game tables go up to level 40 but the HLAs (High Level Abilities) are not present in game. @Troodon80 has managed to make most of them work, but they still lack in game descriptions, for instance.
    Post edited by mlnevese on