Skip to content

BG2 Android - Bottom System Soft Keys Hide Game UI

FandhirFandhir Member Posts: 10
Hello,

I have been playing the first BG on my older android tablet with no issues. Now that I've tried to play BG2 for the first time I've discovered that the bottom soft keys are hiding the bottom portion of the game - something that is not the case in BG1, BG1 apparently correctly expects the buttons there and scales accordingly while BG2 expects the full screen is available. Unfortunately I am unable to use the GMD Full Screen Immersive app as it is incompatible with my device (perhaps because it is an older android 4.2). I was trying to update the Baldur.lua to force a lower resolution but probably this parameter does not exist in the android version. Is there any other solution I could use to remedy this? The game is unfortunately unplayable because of this...

Thank you very much.

Comments

• FandhirFandhir Member Posts: 10
    I would like to add two additional remarks:

1) Disabling UI scaling improves the situation, however just by a tiny bit and the game is still unusable.

2) The resolution of my tablet is 1280x800, the height is of course lower than 800 becaause of the soft buttons. If I could force the game resolution to, say 1280 x 750 I think the problem would be resolved. Interestingly, as I said earlier, BG1 has absolutely no issue with the soft keys and scales to the screen size with the soft keys within. You can also see the difference when I touch the button that shows me the list of running applictions - when I return back to BG1, teh soft keys are all there immediately, when I return back to BG2, the soft buttons are gone and I can see the whole screen. But the soft keys appear as soon as I touch the screen anywhere.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Fandhir, can't answer the question straight up... What is the model of the device are you playing on?

Gus
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Please report these issues at support.baldursgate.com attaching screenshots of what you're seeing for investigation.
    Returning to this... I reported the bug on July 1, no resolution nor ANY meaningful info from Beamdog. Moreover they introduced the same bug to BG1 now with 2.5 so I can't play anything.

Apparently for BG2 the bug was also introduced with the latest update.

Last Friday I updated the bug report and sent another question to Beamdog, asking for clear statement regarding this issue, no answer yet. I already asked even before if one could obtain the older version that worked, both via the bug report and via email, no answer, silence. I'm going to downvote both BGs on Google play, this is unacceptable. If it was a minor bug, sure np, but they completely ruined two perfectly working games for me and couldn't fix it in almost two months or at least do that small thing of providing older versions via other channel.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Your bug report has been submitted and is being worked on.
    @JuliusBorisov Thanks, great, but is there any update after almost two months please? Is the bug confirmed and is there any ETA for the fix? It is hard to believe the bug is being worked on when in the meantime BG1 update has been released that has introduced the same bug. This can only mean that this issue has not been officially recognized.
    The issue is officially recognized, it's what submission to the internal tracker means.

According to Trent during the last livestream, the 2.5 update fixed about 1640 issues. It's really difficult to fix everything-everything and to get in time. BG1 and BG2 share the same engine, so the bug from one game can be visible in the second game as well.

According to previous livestreams it was said the work on BG would continue, and it would include improving performance on mobile devices.
    edited August 2018
    @JuliusBorisov

Thanks, I understand that, however I believe that certain preferences should be applied here. If a bug that is about inability to open one of million dialogs in the game is fixed it's great, but the game still can be played even with it unfixed, right?... but the one I'm facing makes the game unusable. I understand that it's not impacting everyone, but still I believe the number of impacted people should not be that small. And all these people including me do not care about 1640 or even one trillion bugs being fixed when they cannot play _at all_!!! For two months!

Additionally why my questions regarding getting the older versions are ignored? The solution does not need to take two months or half a year, the fix is at hand - it's called the old version, I would be more than happy with it for the time being! Once again - I cannot play at all.

I am not really being serious here, but partially it is true that Beamdog makes me understand those who pirate software! Because they have their pirated version that just works and they are not endangered by buggy updates!

Just compare me as a rightful owner and a software pirate: they can play while I wait and literally beg for a fix or an older version! Do you call this acceptable? Seriously, can you see how ironic this is?

Don't get me wrong - I hate software piracy because developers (and authors in general) must be given the money they ask for and must be supported. But still it does not change how bizarre this situation is...
    lefreut
    Hello, is there anything new please regarding this bug after more than 4 months since it was reported?

By the way all goes exactly as I predicted... game-breaking bug and months and months pass and pass...
  • LasMorLasMor Member Posts: 1
    Are there any news?!?! I have the same problem, both with BG, BG 2, ID ...
    To my knowledge absolutely none. I was right it'll take years - or they'll never fix this. They don't care.
    http://blog.beamdog.com/2019/03/beamdog-update-march-19-2019.html

There seems to be an issue with an old implementation of Android softkeys not playing nicely with Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition after they were updated to work with a newer version of the Android OS, which we had to do for security reasons. On some devices running Android 4.4 KitKat and earlier, the softkeys get in the way of the fullscreen game, but we’ve been unable to reproduce and fix as the issue only occurs on select devices that are no longer supported by Google.
    Ok, fine with me. But in that case, could we who are impacted by the bug obtain older versions that worked? Before the update I was playing BG1 just fine and suddenly lost the capability to play when the game was updated. I am Ok not receiving any support for the old version.