Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    @Corey_Russell I think it has been stated that the blacked-out portraits bug is propably caused by having a certain amount of projectiles in the air, though it's heavily inconsistent and can't really be prevented. As @Grond0 mentioned, the bug is known, but apparently unfixable, so there's not much point anymore in recreating it.

I also want to mention that using the Magic Resistance spell on Firkraag is a very dangerous thing to try - it's melee range and has a long casting time. I certainly wouldn't use the Bhaalspawn to do it :)
    CrevsDaakAerakar
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    In the unmodded game Firkraag just stands there watching as you prepare your opening attacks ...
    EnuhalCrevsDaak
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    @Corey_Russell did you consider using the Harm + whatever combo on bosses? With fighter THAC0, you should have a decent shot at killing anything without magic resistance.
    Wise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    edited August 2018
    @Neverused I believe you referring to the Harm + Critical Strike combo - that would be great, but of course that a TOB ability, and you don't get those until 3000000 experience, which we didn't have yet...

@Grond0 I'm not sure what you mean, I used ton of druid spells, buffs, insects, plague of insects, summons, doom, miscast magic, call lightning, charms, healing, etc.
    @lroumen Yes, agree, dragons need to be postponed and will from now on. Couldn't delay Bodhi, though it was time to get Imoen.
    Grond0 said:

@Grond0 I'm not sure what you mean, I used ton of druid spells, buffs, insects, plague of insects, summons, doom, miscast magic, call lightning, charms, healing, etc.

You were referring to the difficulties of AI over-riding your commands and that spells were being interrupted. If druids are not using AI and are fighting from the rear then long spell casting times are not so much of a problem.

I've just rolled up a party of druids - 1 shapeshifter as a tank, 1 pure class, 2 totemic and 2 avenger. I'll see how they get on ...
    Spells were being interrupted because they were being hit. Either there were many enemies to begin with so we are all in melee contact, or a party member was badly hurt and withdrew, which in turn let the one in back trying to cast get hit. I was referring specifically that I didn't want a range weapon equipped (or maybe I wanted them be in range), but the AI over-rode that which caused difficulty, e.g., if not in melee (but was trying to make them in melee), then someone else who was trying to cast in important spell gets hit, or taking big damage because a ranged weapon equipped.

This is the 1st time I have really used the advanced AI in EE, think I will from now on at most only auto-attack, I will retain full control of spells/abilities, which has worked well in vanilla for me.
    Grond0Wise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Does anyone really use scripts in noreload games though? I'm thinking most people use auto attack or not even that.

Outside noreload I think that may even also be the case.
    Wise_Grimwald
    @lroumen In vanilla BG, I have successfully used scripts in no-reload context, including no-reload of an entire trilogy. However, there are plenty of situations that scripts aren't up to to to task - the key is turning off AI anytime that is the case. With fighters, I know exactly when to turn off the scripts - I don't think I have the sense of that for scripts for druids.
    ArctoduslroumenWise_Grimwald
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I haven't trusted AI scripts since I've seen how well the standard AI handles Nymphs (not at all)
    Wise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2018
    @Corey_Russell that sounds impressive to me. I gave up after my first play through in vanilla BG1.
    I will try it again soon I think.
    Corey_RussellWise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak