Skip to content

BG2EE - Odd Problem When I Press The 'Quit Game' Button

DraxxiaDraxxia Member Posts: 4
edited August 2018 in Troubleshooting
In the last few days I have encountered a strange problem when I press the 'Quit Game' button in BG2EE. I am playing via GOG Galaxy and my game version is V2.5.16.6.
Although I exit from the game as normal I can hear a very rapid clicking noise (as though I was continuously holding down the left mouse button) which persists until I restart my PC.
If I then log back into the game everything continues to work normally until I quit out again when the rapid clicking noise restarts.
None of this causes my PC to crash and I can open and use other applications/games/software but, as you can imagine, hearing this noise on an endless loop soon gets pretty annoying!

Any ideas please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    Hello
    If you launch Task Manager (e.g. via Ctrl+Shift+Esc on Windows 10) does the game show on the list of Apps. If so, can you close it via right-click and End Task.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DraxxiaDraxxia Member Posts: 4
    Hi Gate70,

Thanks for taking the time & trouble to respond.

I had already tried closing the game using Task Manager but with the same result unfortunately (although even more strangely the endless loop seems to be use a slightly different sound file if I close this way rather than via the Quit button in the game). Very weird!

• Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    OK. If you right-click your sound icon then select open volume mixer are there any unexpected entries.
    JuliusBorisov
    Hello Again Gate70,

Thank you for your further suggestion.

I have opened the volume mixer but can see nothing unusual going on there.

Having now closed BG2EE multiple times it seems clear that the Quit issue, although not crashing my system, is having other consequences. Specifically, when I restart my PC it takes far longer than a 'normal' restart and there is a great deal of HDD activity before everything settles down. It is almost as if there is some kind of 'roll back' going on. In my email client, for example, I often receive duplicate copies of emails previously received before logging out of BG2.

In every other respect my PC is behaving normally and it is quite clear that the issue only arises when quitting out of BG2. All very puzzling given that I have already logged 100+ hours in the game without encountering even the smallest issue.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Draxxia, when you say that you are playing via GoG Galaxy, does this mean that you start the game using it (I have GoG but never used Galaxy). If so, have you tried starting and quiting the game without Galaxy? To do so (if there is no icon on the desktop), go to the game folder (where you installed the game, not the saved game folder) and double click on 'baldur.exe'.

Quit from that and see if the clicking sound is still there. It might be a problem with the application switching back to Galaxy.

I am unsure of the benefits of Galaxy but it might not be worth it if it is the problem...

Gus
    JuliusBorisov
    Hi Gusinda,

Thank you for your suggestion.

Yes, I start the game through Galaxy. I have a BG2EE desktop icon which, in turn, points to Galaxy. GOG Galaxy offers some extra functionality such as automatic updates and cloud saves etc.

I have tried running BG2EE directly from the .exe file as you suggest but the endless clicking issue when I quit remains unfortunately.

I am at a bit of a loss now as to what to try next!

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @Draxxia,

Not sure what your data is like but have you reinstalled your game from scratch?

If that doesn't work, can you run DXDIAG (click on Cortana near your start icon and type that in), then 'save all information...' to a txt file and upload it? It will give us the opportunity to have a look at your drivers.

Gus
    JuliusBorisov