Skip to content

You have been waylaid by enemies and must defend yourself

I was on my way from Beregost heading to the Nashkel Mines when I got surrounded by more Hobgoblins than you can shake a stick at:

[Deleted User]JuliusBorisovAerakarMirandelsarevok57GusindaThacoBell

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Hope you had 'Sleep' memorized!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    I was wearing a Shield Amulet so I activated that, which gave me an AC of -3, plus I'm wearing the Cloak of Displacement and a Girdle of Piercing, but I still got made into a pin-cushion while I ran for the edge of the map. I got away but I took a lot more damage than I was expecting.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I was on my way from Beregost heading to the Nashkel Mines when I got surrounded by more Hobgoblins than you can shake a stick at:

How comes so many?
    @UnderstandMouseMagic

I don't know. I assume it must have something to do with my level. I'm soloing as a Kensai/Thief and I am currently Level 5/7. I ran into the same ambush when I was at a lower level and there were only 16 of them (which seemed bad enough at the time). Do ambushes scale with the level of the party?
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    The area does not reset like other ambush areas, so that will need to be fixed.

Also, are you using a pre 2.5 save?
    JuliusBorisovThacoBellRaduziel
    @Balquo

It's a new post 2.5 game but it may be that I am misremembering this happening twice in the same run. It could be that the ambush with 16 hobgoblins happened on a previous run (I've been doing a solo run with basically the same character for about a week now and I have to keep restarting because I keep getting killed. All the games tend to merge into one after a while)
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    If I’m not mistaken, this is a unique ambush area: it’s Dorn’s ambush, and the area will keep on stacking until it’s cleared.
    sarevok57Permidion_Stark
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    That looks like a standard ambush area to me. However, there are 2 different ambushes you can get on that route by hobgoblins (depending on the time of day you arrive) - one of which I think has double the number of the other. I think you're also correct that the numbers are level dependent and it may be that your character is suffering as a result of being dualled.
    Permidion_StarkAerakarThacoBell
    Neverused said:

If I’m not mistaken, this is a unique ambush area: it’s Dorn’s ambush, and the area will keep on stacking until it’s cleared.

I think it is the same map as used in Dorn's ambush but this isn't an attack that involves Dorn. I haven't even seen him yet on this run because I haven't been inside the Friendly Arm Inn yet (I was avoiding Tranzig while I was low level and I haven't got round to going back to deal with him yet)
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I have never seen that many anything in an ambush area.

And it's always said (see the other thread about the Black Talons ambush) that the number is dependant on party size.
    In other words, solo, you don't get big ambushes.

So what's going on?
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Neverused said:

pretty sure this nails it right on the head, i believe i have had the same scenario where if you get waylaid by this ambush and dont kill the baddies, it will keep stacking until all baddies are dead
    Permidion_Stark
    sarevok57 said:

Neverused said:

pretty sure this nails it right on the head, i believe i have had the same scenario where if you get waylaid by this ambush and dont kill the baddies, it will keep stacking until all baddies are dead
    I've got to go back and check that out. It's going to get awfully crowded in that canyon.
    sarevok57
    @Neverused and @sarevok57 have got it right. I just went back and there they all were:

sarevok57ThacoBell
    And they just keep on coming . . .

ThacoBell
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Oh man. What an opportunity for an epic Deathspell!
    Permidion_StarkAerakarThacoBellRaduziel
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    I can confirm the bug.

As a side note. The amount of creatures spawned during ambush encounters are determined in the script. So whatever the script says should spawn, will spawn. It has nothing to do with the amount of party members, XP, etc.
    JuliusBorisovPermidion_StarkAerakarRaduziel
    Balquo said:

I can confirm the bug.

I found a bug? I never found a bug before. Do I get a badge? Or a promote? Or a badge and a promote?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited August 2018
    You could get a badge if you found the bug during the open beta (both for the 2.0 and the 2.5 patches).

Thanks for sharing your findings during your new playthrough, though! It makes finding bugs easier.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Balquo said:

I can confirm the bug.

I found a bug? I never found a bug before. Do I get a badge? Or a promote? Or a badge and a promote?
    You get dinner!
    Permidion_StarkBalrog99
    I just ran into a new twist on the hordes of Hobgoblins bug. This time I was waylaid by hordes of hobgoblins plus Dorotea and Senjak:
    18gathnba260.png
    dfs1g5bpj7z0.png

It's getting mighty crowded in that canyon!

I think the problem occurs in you haven't spoken to Dorn before you are ambushed by the hobgoblins and if you then don't kill off the hobgoblins. This causes the hobgoblins to keep multiplying and then if you do speak to Dorn he shows up to the party as well.

I managed to get away (which was just as well because I am on a no reload run and I don't like to cheat even if it is a bug that does for me). Mind you, I'm not sure what will happen in the future because I didn't stick around long enough to speak to Dorn and I don't know how that will affect the encounter.
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehrdunbar
    edited December 2019
    I decided to keep going back and forth to the mines to see if the ambush would trigger again and it picked up right where it left off:
    s12hcafamnpx.png

I decided to see what would happen if I tried to stand and fight. I was able to kill a few bandits and hobgoblins but when Dorn was killed Dorotea and Senjak turned their attention on me and I decided to high tail it on out of there:
    wo8qsqt7s4j4.png
    60n3gpfs2sl2.png

The game actually Auo-Saved when I left the area - which I didn't think happened with ambush encounters - so if I had a death wish I could go back and get filled full of arrows.
    JuliusBorisovGrond0dunbar
  • SoidoSoido Member Posts: 338
    I am not playing currently as I am waiting for a new patch. I know they are working on such which will include the PC. But Dorn is with only 10HP as of now and should be unkillable like Neera.