Skip to content

Sword Coast Stratagems (SCS) threads

Comments

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    @tedmann12 in what order did you install your mods? It sounds like something is corrupted so a clean game install may be in order.
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    edited July 2018
    Also, I was getting some of those bugs where random npcs names would be "invalid" or they would be some weirdly long piece of text from another point in the game.
    I reinstalled the game, reinstalled scs and reinstalled rogue rebalancing, and continued the game.

@tedmann12 You cannot use old saves when you reinstall/remove/add mods between/reinstall mods using different install order. String references will be messed up. You need to start new game after what you did.
    Aerakar
  • StormfinStormfin Member Posts: 28
    Hello all, I am new to posting in these forums.
    I was wondering if SCS compatibility with BG2EE2.5 has been worked on since 2.5.15.1, as I have tried applying JuliusBorisov's suggested work around with curious results. After exporting the suggested spells/items I install SCS seemingly with no "roll back" errors.

The only error I can find in the install log concern a Demon.Cre String, but this did no stop the installation process.

Preliminary tests reveal that my build is functioning, although I have yet to have any serious magic battles and I wonder if the exported strings will create issues later on?

I am running 2.5.16.6 with ascension and a few other mods installed.

Any help would be appreciated, Cheers
  • SavagostroSavagostro Member Posts: 19
    you can try BWP fixpack after installing it SCS can be installed on 2.5 version
  • waehuunwaehuun Member Posts: 26

Yes, the spells are not bugged in the clear install, they are getting corrupted during the installation of SCS.

Here's a workaround we suggest:

(have tested it myself just now - it's working):

1) first of all, export these spells from the clear install of BG:EE 2.5.15.1 (open the game with NearInfinity, find these spells, right click each of them - Export (don't forget where you put them)) :

SPIN710.SPL (Spell Deflection)
    SPIN920.SPL (Minor Spell Turning)
    SPPR701.SPL (Shield of the Archons)
    SPRA302.SPL (Minor Spell Deflection)
    SPWI318.SPL (Minor Spell Deflection)
    SPWI519.SPL (Spell Shield)
    SPWI522.SPL (Minor Spell Turning)
    SPWI618.SPL (Spell Deflection)
    SPWI701.SPL (Spell Turning)
    SPWI802.SPL (Spell Deflection)
    SPWI902.SPL (Spell Trap)
    Could someone send me those files – would save me the process of reinstalling everything.
  • waehuunwaehuun Member Posts: 26
    Never mind, I found a way of exporting them from the BWS backup (copy the Spells.bif to a data directory and open the chitin.key of the backup with NI)
  • StormfinStormfin Member Posts: 28

you can try BWP fixpack after installing it SCS can be installed on 2.5 version

Thanks mate, appreciate it.
  • Zenogu14Zenogu14 Member Posts: 1
    Hey!

Has anyone found a legitimate way to make SCS compatible with v 2.5?

I cannot get past the "NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Initialise mod (all other components require this)" error. It will not install any component of the mod.

Big World Fixpack's Weidu application does not seem to take any sort of input. It lists plenty of option commands, but none function once it requests you to Enter arguments:

Click paths and instructions for those of us that are challenged would be appreciated!

Windows 8 if this matters.
  • SatrhanSatrhan Member Posts: 75
    edited July 2018
    I've used Big World Setup for my install of bg2ee and mods yesterday, including SCS. Installation went well without any errors. I've only just left the starting dungeon, but so far I haven't come across any issues with SCS.
    I can recommend using BWS; it's a bit more involved than just installing a single Weidu mod but not that complicated once you realize how it is organized, and it locates potential mod conflicts for you.
  • UOLegacyUOLegacy Member Posts: 153
    Has anyone considered porting SCS over for IWD:EE? After a search here and on the Internet, I couldn't find any such variation.
    StummvonBordwehrLudwig_II
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    Yeah that would be amazing. Unfortunately SCS is not available for IWD right now
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Zenogu14 said:

Hey!

I cannot get past the "NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS Initialise mod (all other components require this)" error. It will not install any component of the mod.

Big World Fixpack's Weidu application does not seem to take any sort of input. It lists plenty of option commands, but none function once it requests you to Enter arguments:

Click paths and instructions for those of us that are challenged would be appreciated!

Yes, it's right there, at the start of the 2nd page of this thread.

Can confirm this method works on the non-beta 2.5 patch both for BG:EE and BGII:EE.
    UOLegacy said:

Has anyone considered porting SCS over for IWD:EE? After a search here and on the Internet, I couldn't find any such variation.

This is a question for @DavidW
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited August 2018

Zenogu14 said:

Hey!

Yes, it's right there, at the start of the 2nd page of this thread.

Can confirm this method works on the non-beta 2.5 patch both for BG:EE and BGII:EE.

Outdated ;) -----> http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29544
    JuliusBorisovBorcoOrlonKronsteen
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325
    Hey!

Just checking to see if anyone has encountered a similar issue...

I managed to install SCS on my GOG version of BG:EE v2.5 by using this beta (http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=29544) without any problems, however, I am unable to run the game. There is no error notification, the application just enters background processes and then dies away. I'll note that the game runs just fine without the SCS installation.

Thanks!

B.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Borco Do you have BG:EE or BG:EE+SoD? If you have SoD, did you use the ModMerge before installing SCS?
    Borco
  • BorcoBorco Member Posts: 325

@Borco Do you have BG:EE or BG:EE+SoD? If you have SoD, did you use the ModMerge before installing SCS?

Ah yes, that may just be the case! Thanks!
    JuliusBorisov
    @Borco @JuliusBorisov It's better to use argent77 DLCMerger because it's weidu mod.
    Sssiksseilor
  • AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,015
    I just installed 31 on BG2 2.5 (the release candidate @CamDawg has posted on the site which includes all current fixes). The beholder improvements would not install and caused some other tactical improvements also not to install, i.e. improved Abazigal, vampires, mind flayers, Bohdi). Without improved beholders, everything installed fine. Game is working.
    SssiksseilorGusindaThacoBell
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Okay, I've been playing BG since it first came out all those years ago. I've been modding for about 1/3 of that time. I've never gone for difficulty mods because I always felt the game were challengeing enough, and also, SCS always looked a little too ridiculous and cheesy to me. But SCS is also supposedly customizable? After playing (and loving) SoD and its AI improvements, and hearing they were based on SCS, I'm REALLY curious about it now.
    Where can I find the latest/most stable version, and what are good "base" components to bring the rest of the series up to SoD ai? I'm looking for super masochistic challenge or super buffed enemies. Just enemies that are a little smarter.
    Aerakar
  • BrokenkatanaBrokenkatana Member Posts: 47
    They are beta testing an updated version of it on the Gibberlings 3 website. You can find a link for it in the forum section. I'm guessing that is probably the most stable version of it, until it's officially released.
    ThacoBellAerakar
    edited September 2018
    @Brokenkatana and @CamDawg Many thanks!

Oh, what are some of the bonkers components that a first installer may want to skip?
  • BrokenkatanaBrokenkatana Member Posts: 47
    A couple of the components I didn't like are faster bears, improved sirens and realistic dogs/ wolves. The bears moved like they had boots of speed on. Which seemed way to fast. I noticed the improved sirens section effects friendly sirens like the ones at the temple in Beregost. They turn invisible even if you are not hostile. Realistic dogs and wolves causes the non-supernatural ones to run from you. Since I play with the critter parts mod, I would have to try and chase them half way around the map to finally kill them.

Otherwise I really liked all the tactical challenges components (I've only played the mod in BG1 so far). However Kahrk is really difficult and you should be at a pretty high level to take him on. I played the smarter mages/ priest component were they couldn't pre-buff before battle. So I have no idea what it is like if you let them pre-buff.

If you use any of the spell tweaks and are a veteran player, you'll just have to remember which spells you tweaked and not rely on muscle memory for spells. I got caught a few times forgetting in battle I did the tweak option for a few spells.
    ThacoBellAerakar
    Thanks for the advice. I'll hopefully get to try this out tomorrow.
    AerakarOrlonKronsteen
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    also consider no prebuffing

i'd recommend potions for npcs as it's very sensible
    AerakarThacoBell
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    Quick question, not sure if it's even related to SCS (but I think it is)...
    Has anyone else had any problems with certain mages just disappearing by script? It's happened to me several runs where I think the only common denominator in mods is SCS. For example, in the Undercellar battle with Krystin, she would cast a spell, turn invisible immediately after finishing her casting, start another spell the next round. There's nothing in the console about her casting an invisibility spell, sequencer, or drinking a potion: she just vanishes.
  • aldainaldain Member Posts: 303
    Neverused said:

Quick question, not sure if it's even related to SCS (but I think it is)...
    Has anyone else had any problems with certain mages just disappearing by script? It's happened to me several runs where I think the only common denominator in mods is SCS. For example, in the Undercellar battle with Krystin, she would cast a spell, turn invisible immediately after finishing her casting, start another spell the next round. There's nothing in the console about her casting an invisibility spell, sequencer, or drinking a potion: she just vanishes.

I get that bug pretty much every time I fight Krystin with SCS. Like you say, she just periodically turns invisible (the console just says Krystin: Invisible).
    I'd guess it has something to do with her being supposed to start combat invisible (Slythe even has a line about her going invisible so guys won't hassle her).
    CamDawg said:

Aerakar said:

I just installed 31 on BG2 2.5 (the release candidate @CamDawg has posted on the site which includes all current fixes). The beholder improvements would not install and caused some other tactical improvements also not to install, i.e. improved Abazigal, vampires, mind flayers, Bohdi). Without improved beholders, everything installed fine. Game is working.

This should be addressed in RC 3.
    ThacoBell said:

Okay, I've been playing BG since it first came out all those years ago. I've been modding for about 1/3 of that time. I've never gone for difficulty mods because I always felt the game were challengeing enough, and also, SCS always looked a little too ridiculous and cheesy to me. But SCS is also supposedly customizable? After playing (and loving) SoD and its AI improvements, and hearing they were based on SCS, I'm REALLY curious about it now.
    Where can I find the latest/most stable version, and what are good "base" components to bring the rest of the series up to SoD ai? I'm looking for super masochistic challenge or super buffed enemies. Just enemies that are a little smarter.

SCS has a lot of goodies besides tactical stuff and is worth checking out. v31 is basically a maintenance release until @DavidW can knock together a v32. With the project now on Github, you can find the current v31 release candidates as well as David's (eventual) v32 on the releases page there.
    Just so I'm not misunderstanding: RC3 is the version available for download at https://github.com/Gibberlings3/SwordCoastStratagems/releases/tag/v31_RC3 , correct? Because I've downloaded it and am still getting install failure on Improved Beholders (which then cascades into some other components failing to install). Everything else seems to install fine on v2.5.
    @aldain Which game edition? Please try restoring clean version of the game and then reinstall only this particular component.
    I already find boss encounters to be plenty difficult, I'm more looking to increase the strength of trash encounters. I'll probably pass on the improved mages, I'm already not great at fighting them. I tend to rely on Bees and Bard dispels because they are so fast/effective. The faster bears and improved Nashkel mines sounds interesting. I tend to hit the mines around levels 3-5 anyway.