Skip to content

After 20 years I stumbled across a bit of the map I never knew was there

I've been playing Baldur's Gate pretty much since it came out but last night I stumbled across an area I had never seen before. It is a corner of the map that I thought was completely inaccessible but last night my Kensai/Thief was creeping through the undergrowth and she found a rickety rope bridge I never knew existed.

This is the area that was new to me:

So do you all recognise it straight away? Am I the only person who has consistently failed to find this?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,313
    There's not a lot of space to maneuver on the trail above the waterfall, so you need to be careful there when the phase spiders teleport into the middle of your party ...
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Is your Kensai/Thief called Imoen, by chance?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I've found it, but I seem to recall it being empty? I might be wrong though, I'm not a completionist that have to remove all fog of war from all maps and most often skip many maps on playthrough.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I found it only a year or two ago. Would be a nice place for a picnic if it wasn't for all the spiders.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Heh, a nice little area that is with two waterfalls. Try running across really fast right into the area on the other side if you want a little extra excitement. ;):warning:
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    scriver said:

Is your Kensai/Thief called Imoen, by chance?

She's called Holly the Lost and this is about my fifth solo run with her. She has died on all the previous ones but tonight she defeated Davaeorn and has reached Baldur's Gate for the first time. Hurrah!
    Grond0 said:

There's not a lot of space to maneuver on the trail above the waterfall, so you need to be careful there when the phase spiders teleport into the middle of your party ...

I was really worried about the Phase Spiders because I am attempting to do a run without using any potions so I was trying not to use any antidotes. However, I have found that Phase Spiders are easy to kill when you are using throwing daggers. If you throw at them before they teleport the knife still seems to follow them and hit them in the new location (I would swear tonight I saw a knife change direction like a boomerang) and so long as you move as soon as they land next to you they never get a chance to bite you.

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    @Permidion_Stark Heh. That's the same method I use on them. I just go all tasloi on em, just like they do with those derned little spears.Those little boogers can be irritating to go after on foot. I gotta give em credit for tactics though. Throw, back away, wait; back away, throw, wait... and so on.
    Zaghoul said:

@Permidion_Stark Heh. That's the same method I use on them. I just go all tasloi on em, just like they do with those derned little spears.Those little boogers can be irritating to go after on foot. I gotta give em credit for tactics though. Throw, back away, wait; back away, throw, wait... and so on.

The great thing about being a Kensai/Thief is that nothing much can back away from you because it never sees you in the first place. You sneak up behind it, backstab it and watch it explode into chunks.
    edited September 2018

Grond0 said:

I was really worried about the Phase Spiders because I am attempting to do a run without using any potions so I was trying not to use any antidotes. However, I have found that Phase Spiders are easy to kill when you are using throwing daggers. If you throw at them before they teleport the knife still seems to follow them and hit them in the new location (I would swear tonight I saw a knife change direction like a boomerang) and so long as you move as soon as they land next to you they never get a chance to bite you.

I agree that tactic works if you're careful - which is why you need to avoid moving several people across the waterfall at once as it's quite possible to find a character unable to move away in time to avoid an attack.

Skatan said:

I've found it, but I seem to recall it being empty? I might be wrong though, I'm not a completionist that have to remove all fog of war from all maps and most often skip many maps on playthrough.

There are 2 phase spiders (and a web trap) in that area. If you play with SCS improved spiders though the phase spiders would almost certainly have teleported to find your party at an earlier stage in the map, so you would then find the area empty.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Skatan said:

I'm not a completionist either, I just have really big issues, I swear ;)
    Grond0 said:

There are 2 phase spiders (and a web trap) in that area. If you play with SCS improved spiders though the phase spiders would almost certainly have teleported to find your party at an earlier stage in the map, so you would then find the area empty.

I'm playing a completely unmodded game except for the Exp cap remover from EET Tweaks. I haven't tried SCS but I'm thinking of giving it a go if I survive this run. To be honest I find the game pretty hard when playing on core.

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    I've probably been to that nook of Cloakwood in every single one of my playthroughs. You see, I have a sickness when it comes to BG1 - it's a severe disability that makes me physically unable to not 100% explore every explorable bit of every area that I enter.
    Adul said:

I've probably been to that nook of Cloakwood in every single one of my playthroughs. You see, I have a sickness when it comes to BG1 - it's a severe disability that makes me physically unable to not 100% explore every explorable bit of every area that I enter.

@Adul and does your disability extend far enough to require you to use farsight to explore every bit of every area that you can't physically reach :p.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Grond0 said:

Adul said:

@Adul and does your disability extend far enough to require you to use farsight to explore every bit of every area that you can't physically reach :p.
    Typically no, but I may have memorized the occasional Clairvoyance spell for such occasions in the past.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Grond0 said:

Adul said:

Mine does! Good old console explore.