Skip to content

[Mod] DnD 3.5 Rules in Bg:EE and Bg2:EE v 2.0

Comments

• SeferexSeferex Member Posts: 3
    Holic said:

There is a small icon in the corner of the portrait of the character involved in the dialog. It is quite small but still visible, so you can probably use it to understand who is taking the feat.

oh i did not notice it! Sorry then!
  • DawgliciousDawglicious Member Posts: 221
    If I have already installed the mod before you fixed the 2 hp npc bug, do I have to reinstall the entire mod to apply the fix?

Also, do the stat items still raise the stats to that they did originally (ex gauntets of Dex giving 18 Dex)? If so, I was going to suggest maybe having them either raise the stat to 16, or only give a +2 bonus. Something that makes them a little less good in a point buy system like this.
  • HolicHolic Member Posts: 66
    Hi @Dawglicious
    Reinstalling only [Update NPCs] is enough. Although the fix will only be applied if npc joins at level 0, and will not if npc is already in the party.

Regarding gauntlets of dex, it actually was giving +2 dex in early version of mod, but then realized that it actually this item less powerful than in original game. I.e. in AD & D if you had low dex it would give you + 4 AC, if you had higher dex it would give you +1 or +2, roughly the same applies to 3.5 rules, so I decided to leave it as is. Although since I was asked to do it more than once, I will probably change it in future versions.
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    For what it's worth, I think in a mod like yours that any flat adjustments to stats should probably be removed and instead replaced with a bonus or penalty where possible. Gloves of Dexterity at +2 dex would still be a pretty neat item and if +2 seems low then I think a +4 bonus would be alright as well.
    Holic said:

Hi @Dawglicious
    Regarding gauntlets of dex, it actually was giving +2 dex in early version of mod, but then realized that it actually this item less powerful than in original game. I.e. in AD & D if you had low dex it would give you + 4 AC, if you had higher dex it would give you +1 or +2, roughly the same applies to 3.5 rules, so I decided to leave it as is. Although since I was asked to do it more than once, I will probably change it in future versions.

I think that a flat +2 increase is actually fine. If a character has a low enough stat that they would get +4 from it, you likely wouldn't care as much about giving them the item in the first place. For example, if I have Ajantis with his 10 Dex, or Coran with his 18, I am more likely to want a Coran with 20 dex than an Ajantis with 14; in this example I am likely building Coran towards a dex build anyway, whereas all Ajantis could get is a couple extra AC depending on the armor he is wearing.

Also worth mentioning is the Ankheg Plate Mail. Due to the fact that it is a versatile armor that a lot of different classes can wear without a lot of negatives, you might want to change it's AC value to 3 or 4. With an AC value of 4, it would be working as a better Splint Mail that classes like Druid could wear.

Thank you for the work you have done on this mod :smile:

I think that a flat +2 increase is actually fine. If a character has a low enough stat that they would get +4 from it, you likely wouldn't care as much about giving them the item in the first place. For example, if I have Ajantis with his 10 Dex, or Coran with his 18, I am more likely to want a Coran with 20 dex than an Ajantis with 14; in this example I am likely building Coran towards a dex build anyway, whereas all Ajantis could get is a couple extra AC depending on the armor he is wearing.

Actually the problem is a bit more complex, since, unlike 3.5, in BG there is 25 hard limit on stats. It might be fine for gloves to give +2 dex since there are not lot of dex boosting items oe other ways to increase dex (the only things coming to my mind are draw upon holy might, aura of vitality, and shapeshift/shapechange), but then It would also make sense to apply similar change to strength boosting items, (say +2 for gauntlets of ogre power, +3 for belt of hill giant strength, + 4 for girdle of fire giant strength, +6 for crom faeyr (?)) , but this, due to big number of such items, will actually break a balance making a lot of spells/classes useless (for example barbarian with his strength boosting rage, draw upon holy might, champion's strength, holy power, etc ...), so that is why I decided to keep everything as is. That being said, I would welcome any suggestion on how to change stat bonuses to +x without breaking the balance.

Regarding ankheg armor, I agree that it is a bit overpowered and will probably reduce its ac bonus to +3.

edited September 2018
    Holic said:

Actually the problem is a bit more complex, since, unlike 3.5, in BG there is 25 hard limit on stats. It might be fine for gloves to give +2 dex since there are not lot of dex boosting items oe other ways to increase dex (the only things coming to my mind are draw upon holy might, aura of vitality, and shapeshift/shapechange), but then It would also make sense to apply similar change to strength boosting items, (say +2 for gauntlets of ogre power, +3 for belt of hill giant strength, + 4 for girdle of fire giant strength, +6 for crom faeyr (?)) , but this, due to big number of such items, will actually break a balance making a lot of spells/classes useless (for example barbarian with his strength boosting rage, draw upon holy might, champion's strength, holy power, etc ...), so that is why I decided to keep everything as is. That being said, I would welcome any suggestion on how to change stat bonuses to +x without breaking the balance.

Could you change the Strength items to grant damage and thac0 bonuses instead? My only concern with that is the game likely wouldn't be able to tell if a ranged or melee weapon was equipped, as well as any class using Dex or Int as their combat modifiers as opposed to strength. If the game CAN tell the difference though, then that could work. (You could make having any of the gauntlets or girdles equipped not allow for ranged weapons to be equipped at the same time? I'm not in love with that idea, but it would kind of work.)

Another option could be to make the increases even smaller: +1 for gauntlets of ogre power/belt of hill giant strength/Big-Fisted belt, +2 for girdle of stone giant strength, +3 frost giant, +4 fire giant, and +6 crom faeyr. Mauler's Arm could be +1, and Angurvadal could be +2.

Something else you could consider in combination with stat bonus +x would be changing Rage. Could you make it so the raged character gets bonus to thac0 and damage that is roughly equivalent to the Strength increase? This would work even better if you could keep the character who is raging from using ranged weapons while raged, but again I don't know if the engine allows for that. You could apply this to the CON increase as well, with HP increase equal to the Con bonus. This method could get around the same issue that any CON increasing spell would have as well when a character is too close to 25.

Again I have no real knowledge of how much the engine allows for, so if some of these ideas are undoable I apologize.

Post edited by Dawglicious on
  • sasik444sasik444 Member Posts: 1
    Is there a risk of crashing after installing only the ai part of scs and installing more powerful enemies?
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    About item that give ability bonus:
    In my opinion changing the raise from a specific value (e.g. Dex 18) to a bonus, makes sense in this mod.
    It would improve the importance of the starting stats.
    For example, it would make a difference if you start with 14 or 16 strength and than using the gauntlets of ogre power (+2). I don't think that the cap of 25 is a big issue, for example the Barbarian can stop increasing his strength after 21 so we can use the strength items on other characters.

My idea for values would be like this:
    15 & 16 = +1 (I think there are no items that do this?)
    17 & 18 = +2
    19 & 20 = +3
    21 & 22 = +4
    23 & 24 = +5
    25 = +6

Also it would be great to change the potions to, it would give the potion of strength a chance of being used.
    Some for spells like "Strength".

It would also be great to give some of the Plain +2 and +3 weapons some unique abilities (maybe reduce the +2 bonus for balance). The Item Rebalance Mod does this very god and there is a beta for the EE Games, but I'm not sure how this will work with this mod.
    (http://gibberlings3.net/forums/index.php?showforum=157)

Not sure if this is possible and how much work it would be.
    And it is just my personal preference :smile:
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    edited November 2018
    It seems that UI mods remove the point buy system? Is there a workaround to prevent that from happening?
  • ManahuntManahunt Member Posts: 10
    Is it correct that I don't receive any ability bonus every 4th level? I installed all components including point buy system.
    Darkersun said:

It seems that UI mods remove the point buy system? Is there a workaround to prevent that from happening?

Hi @Darkersun. I ll try to have a look and see if I can make the mod more friendly towards other UI mods.
    Manahunt said:

Is it correct that I don't receive any ability bonus every 4th level? I installed all components including point buy system.

Yes it is as expected, since stats are capped at 25, I decided not to implement bonus ability points, since it would make many abilities/items redundant.
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    Colour me very impressed.
    I found a bug - when I export my first level character (swashbuckler human) and play again (after importing this character), I receive another bonus feat after few seconds of playing.
    Hi @Manahunt

Yes, I know about this issue of reapplying class abilities every time the character generally joins a party (i.e. you start a new game with protagonist or join a new npc, although for npc I found a walkround that seem to fix the problem). It seems to be a game engine-related issue to which I do not have a fix, so I'm wondering if anyone else has already experienced this problem while introducing new kits and found a solution.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Now I noticed, that some NPC since 10th level don't get bonus hp from constitution (Corwin, Glint, M'Khiin - who also has too much hp at first level) when others do. EEKeper shows that their base hp is correct, hp***.2da files also seems ok, so I have no idea what is wrong.
    edited December 2018
    My swashbuckler has wrong base thaco at 11 level - 19 (should be 9). At next level everything is correct (base thaco 8). Antoher bug - Neera in Sod has priest paperdoll.
    And I realized that warriors and priests since 10th level don't get hp bonus from constitution, when rogues and wizards siince 11th.
    Post edited by Manahunt on
    Hi @Manahunt thanks for the bug reports. By the way do you know if it is normal AD & D behavior when characters above lvl 10 do not get bonus Hp due to high Constitution.
    I know that in second edition D&D a character doesn't get any constitution bonus above level 9/10 (depends on class), but also doesn't get hp rolls (for example a fighter doesn't get 1k10 hp but just 3 hp above 9 level - in your mod gets 10 hp). In third D&D edition any character gets constantly 1k* hp +/- constitution bonus per level and it doesn't matter which level it is. I don't know if it has changed in 3.5 D&D, but since hp per level in this mod is different than in 2 and 3 edition, I though it is a bug.
    edited December 2018
    There's something wrong with cleric/mage spell slots per day. For example Aerie 11th level (12th level the same) can memorize:
    1 level - 3 spells
    2 level - 3 spells
    3 level - 4 spells
    4 level - none
    5 level - 2 spells
    6 level - 1 spell
    edited December 2018
    Hi @Manahunt Did you level up her by 1 lvl at a time from 0 to 11 waiting at least 5 seconds between each level up or did you level up her by few levels instantly (i.e you were for example level 5 and after level up you instantly became lvl 8)? Also did she have any 4-th level spells at levels 8 - 10?
    I have restored my old savegame before joining Aerie to check if too fast leveling is the reason. So it seems that:
    1) too fast level up casuses that the character gets few levels instantly (I was avoiding it in my game) and in a result Aerie gets too much spell slots
    2) when I leveled her up a little bit slower, she is admittedly leveled up by 1 level, but she still gets wrong number of spell slots (it is what happened to me),
    3) when I wait at least 5 seconds before each level up, everything seems correct.
    I found some bugs:
    - at 14th swashbuckler has 15 thac0 (should has 6)
    - there is exp cap for multiclass characters, so for example Imoen can get only 17th level (editing XPCAP.2DA solves the problem), I mean two class characters should have 16.000.000 exp cap, and three class characters - 24.000.000 exp cap
    - yoshimo has 4 weapon slots in inventory when as a thief should have 2 (and these 2 additional slots are inactive in main screen)
    - Haer'delis should have more hp at start because if not joined the party he can be easily killed at the battle in the theatre
    - armored arcane doesn't work (spell casting button in main screen is active but spells buttons are inactive)
    Hi @Manahunt
    Could you post a save with not working spellcasting in armor?
    edited January 2019
    Here is my save (Imoen can't cast spells in leather armors, but can in dragon scale armors).
    Moreover, in Icewind Dale I am unable to play as a shaman, kensai can't use any armor (except some armors like yeti hide and dragon scail but only black) and priest of talos has +1 AC bonus (I suppose this is not expected). And there is no paperdoll for halfing mage (this character gets human male warrior paperdoll). Paperdolls of dwarf/half-orc wizard are correct although in standard game there wasn't possibility to play that character. I tried to find is there any hidden paperdoll of halfing mage using nearinfinity, but I suppose there isn't.
    Post edited by Manahunt on
    Hi @Manahunt
    Could you tell me if you are playing english version of the game or not?
    Not english, but I just switched it to english and the same poblem with spellcasting still exists. All games bought in GOG if it matters.
    @Manahunt
    The mod does not work for non-english versions. Could you try to reinstall it on clean english version and tell me if you still experience issues with kensai armor and spellcasting in armor? (there is no need to start a new a game for it)
  • Aegonek98Aegonek98 Member Posts: 7
    I have a bug when resurrecting Aerie, for a second when she is at 1 HP levelling indicator shows up and disapears after a moment, and then she has full spellcasting progression of lvl 10 mage and lvl 10 cleric in place of her lvl 10 multiclass progression.