Skip to content

Deeply disappinted @Riot - but not verily surprised

TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
https://kotaku.com/inside-the-culture-of-sexism-at-riot-games-1828165483

I was quite firm to not get unto the e-sports hype train, before the very Kotaku posted a light-hearted beefcake-bait article about Unicorns of Love in IEM season 11 in Oakland.

Romain was sassy, I do not doubt it - but it was the casters going a bit batty about the "unfancied Kalista pick" that made me watch the whole match, and come love LoL when UOL won it all.

Mind you: Froskurinn was there to pull me in, and only later I have learned it was a matter of hard push from influencers / fans / fair minded people to have Riot have her officially.

So with hindsight this does not surprise me.

In a purported "meritocracy" Forskurinn should not have to fight for it. Me being an avid PC gaming fan but fearing that the joy of gaming is lesser than being nuked by toxicity should not be.

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited September 2018
    Despite it's length, the number of people the author talked to, and it's general in-depth nature, that article is going to get ripped to shreds by the usual crowd. Which is as predictable as the sun rising at this point. My guess is there are now DOZENS of widely-viewed Youtube videos attacking Kotaku for printing it. Since it's about a month old, let me go look, be right back.............

Yes, I was correct. If I was playing a drinking game where I had to take a shot everytime the phrase "SJW" was used in the comment section of the first video I clicked on, I would be dead within 6 or 7 minutes from acute alcohol poisoning.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    I would be dead within 6 or 7 minutes from acute alcohol poisoning.

LOL! I've read articles like that.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861

Despite it's length, the number of people the author talked to, and it's general in-depth nature, that article is going to get ripped to shreds by the usual crowd. Which is as predictable as the sun rising at this point. My guess is there are now DOZENS of widely-viewed Youtube videos attacking Kotaku for printing it. Since it's about a month old, let me go look, be right back.............

Yes, I was correct. If I was playing a drinking game where I had to take a shot everytime the phrase "SJW" was used in the comment section of the first video I clicked on, I would be dead within 6 or 7 minutes from acute alcohol poisoning.

"Yes, I was correct."

If we do not call this bollocks, "confirmation bias" will do, and be polite.

See this:

How many actual fans will you find in this thread dismissing, minimising, or dismissing Riot sexism?

Do point them out to me.
    LadyRhian said:

I would be dead within 6 or 7 minutes from acute alcohol poisoning.

LOL! I've read articles like that.

LOL?

@LadyRhian: read this - and see the mainly "non LOL" responses if you dare to look at your confirmation bias:

Have you worked, gamed, or ever been source critical?
    I meant LOLing at the "I would be dead of alcohol poisoning" line.
    LadyRhian said:

I meant LOLing at the "I would be dead of alcohol poisoning" line.

@LadyRhian

If you have never been pushed or socially coerced into anything against your will, I am superbly happy for you.

But I have gamed, worked and studied to become source critical enough to tell you: anyone feeling they have to drink too much is either victim of addiction or abuse.

People really want to hold on to their jobs. People really want to be accepted.

Plus Riot should get their sexism shit together, without deflection.

Do you see why I mind? Do you think it is wrong, or a little flippant? (I have to ask)
    I think we both agree with your assessment, I was being humorous about the instinctual impulse of certain segments of the population to criticize the article by default.

I think we both agree with your assessment, I was being humorous about the instinctual impulse of certain segments of the population to criticize the article by default.

As if you were not being highly unfair to Kotaku - and implying @LadyRhian does not exist independently from you. Eh?

TStael said:

As if you were not being highly unfair to Kotaku - and implying @LadyRhian does not exist independently from you. Eh?

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I agree with the assessment of the Kotaku article and I am 99.9% sure @LadyRhian does as well, though she can of course speak for herself. I was being critical of those who would have a kneejerk reaction to attack the Kotaku article, not the other way around.
    I am my own person, and you know nothing about my life- what I have lived and what I live with every day. You can't tell that about anyone on this forum.

I have read forums (and forum responses) so filled with people railing against something that If I chose to drink in response of every time I read that certain word, I, too, would die of alcohol poisoning. That's what I was responding to. I can do that while still not liking the response to the article.

Honestly, I think you need to step away from the keyboard and calm down a bit. I've had to do the same myself, so I'm not judging you. We all have things that trip our "anger" responses, but try not to post angry. You can be angry, but try and be polite from the wrists down, please.
    edited September 2018
    I'm not even sure what has happened in this particular thread. It seems to me that all 3 of us found the Kotaku article worthwhile. I'm not sure how I could have given off any other impression. And the only reason I stated I would assume @LadyRhian would also find the article worthwhile was based on the interactions she has contributed to the politics thread, and I was simply making an educated guess. It's possible that was wrong, and if so I apologize.

TStael said:

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I agree with the assessment of the Kotaku article and I am 99.9% sure @LadyRhian does as well, though she can of course speak for herself. I was being critical of those who would have a kneejerk reaction to attack the Kotaku article, not the other way around.
    The very easy way to secure my understanding would be to have a going in position of: corporate sexism is poor.

I get the suspicion it is a bit OK by you.

Kotaku may possibly have an occasional failure of standard, which I must say I have not noticed as their reader - but why on earth would this be worse than Riot systematically being sheit??

Why should (to my knowledge) source critical Kotaku be criticized, instead of the actually sexist Riot?

(that the tweet you saw feebly tried to make right)
    TStael said:

TStael said:

The very easy way to secure my understanding would be to have a going in position of: corporate sexism is poor.

I get the suspicion it is a bit OK by you.

Kotaku may possibly have an occasional failure of standard, which I must say I have not noticed as their reader - but why on earth would this be worse than Riot systematically being sheit??

Why should (to my knowledge) source critical Kotaku be criticized, instead of the actually sexist Riot?

(that the tweet you saw feebly tried to make right)
    I'll try explain a little better but I'm not sure how to do so. I'm NOT critical of the Kotaku article. I was being openly critical of people who would be critical of the Kotaku article, and my point was that a cursory search on Youtube turned up dozens of videos ripping the article to shreds. I was making fun of those videos and their comment sections, not the article itself.
    LadyRhian said:

I am my own person, and you know nothing about my life- what I have lived and what I live with every day. You can't tell that about anyone on this forum.

I have read forums (and forum responses) so filled with people railing against something that If I chose to drink in response of every time I read that certain word, I, too, would die of alcohol poisoning. That's what I was responding to. I can do that while still not liking the response to the article.

Honestly, I think you need to step away from the keyboard and calm down a bit. I've had to do the same myself, so I'm not judging you. We all have things that trip our "anger" responses, but try not to post angry. You can be angry, but try and be polite from the wrists down, please.

Weird post. Formulaic, no grasp of OP, just the alcohol poisoning. Troll acct?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    TStael said:

LadyRhian said:

Weird post. Formulaic, no grasp of OP, just the alcohol poisoning. Troll acct?
    No, no, no, no, and no. @LadyRhian is one of the oldest members of this forum. She has been a moderator since 2012.
    Zaghoul

TStael said:

I'll try explain a little better but I'm not sure how to do so. I'm NOT critical of the Kotaku article. I was being openly critical of people who would be critical of the Kotaku article, and my point was that a cursory search on Youtube turned up dozens of videos ripping the article to shreds. I was making fun of those videos and their comment sections, not the article itself.

I also would that I could.

It is hard, and here goes:

It is OK to be critical of Kotaku article if you are honest to yourself about it, as to why you'd feel good about discrediting a source that is respected? Or is it the idea that women should professionally participate in game making? Or even gaming?

My childhood was spooling as my brother gamed at "his rig" - but here I am, and there he is.
    edited September 2018
    What I'm trying to say is that I'm not even being remotely critical of the Kotaku article, nor making light of it's subject matter, which is how women are treated at a major gaming company and (more broadly) Silicon Valley culture. I think the article is good, well-sourced, and important. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be about it.
    edited September 2018
    For what it's worth, both @jjstraka34 and @LadyRhian have been strident opponents of sexism for many years now. They are the absolute last people who would ever defend sex discrimination or make light of the seriousness of the issue.
    mlnevese

TStael said:

No, no, no, no, and no. @LadyRhian is one of the oldest members of this forum. She has been a moderator since 2012.

So, Riot founders should have the levity coz they have been at it, for quite some time.
    edited September 2018
    The moderating team has reviewed the thread and decided to close it to prevent further abuse. By itself, the article in the OP is perfectly fine for discussion in the Off Topic forum, but this discussion has gone in a very strange direction very quickly. Best to cut it short.

Personal attacks are against the Site Rules, and we expect users to treat each other with respect and fairness even when discussing contentious issues. We have high standards for conduct on this forum, and users who make a habit of breaking the Site Rules are best off posting on other fora.

If anyone wants to discuss the Kotaku article, just start a new thread and that should be fine.
    Post edited by semiticgoddess on
    JuliusBorisov
This discussion has been closed.