Skip to content

Working on a Fanfiction Adaption

2»

Comments

• BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    Nice job. It's been awhile since you began this project. It feels like it has been a year or two. Like @fluke13 said, his BG novelization took years, and so did mine. I'm still on Shadows Of Amn after five years. You got a long road ahead of you, doing your own novelizations of the BG series, but trust me, the journey is worth it.
    fluke13Torgrimmer
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @BladeDancer
    It's only been a few months (five and a half of them to be precise), but thanks for the advice and support.
    Well, description work is done, now there is only one more scene I need to finish for Chapter 2 to be done. I'm dealing with a bit of writer's block, but hopefully I'll be done in a few days.

In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions for short story companion pieces? I already have a couple in mind, but open to suggestions.

I'm also planning to do full length spin-offs but those will likely be written AFTER I'm done with the saga.
    Gusinda
    The writing for Chapter 2 is now done and it's ready for the editing process. Let's keep our fingers crossed that I'm able to post it before the end of the month, I've been really looking forward to getting this story moving.
    https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12923726/3/Baldur-s-Gate

Chapter 2 is here!
    Sorry It took so long, Life has many responsibilities.
    Gusinda
    Chapter 3 and 4 are in the works, but my cowriter is currently busy with his new child, so it will probably be some time before they are released.
    Gusinda
    @AMP1972
    I hope you don't mean to say that you can't post links to Fanfic at all, because I've been doing that for some time in my story updates.

Chapter 3 is still taking some time to update everyone, my co-writer has been very busy raising his new child and I've been working 5 days a week now.

I expect to have it done (along with Chapter 4) sometime in December, but I can't promise anything.
    [Deleted User]
    @AMP1972
    I'll ask @JuliusBorisov to clarify. I'd hate to get site-banned for a rule I didn't even know existed.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited November 2018
    In the future, please discuss moderation-related questions with moderators. One thing is an interview & an ebook, another thing is a fanfiction, or any other fan creations. There's a difference between advertising, and sharing IE/NWN-related content. It's up to the moderators only to define what is an ad and what is not.

This thread is totally fine. It's actually very cool that you're doing this, @ZaramMaldovar .

I'd also like to note that nobody on this site can be banned without a procedure based on this or that user's history.
    Post edited by lolien on
    ZaramMaldovarLadyRhianTorgrimmer
    Just thought I'd check. I hope to have Chapter 3 done by Christmas but I'm not sure it's possible. I'm mapping out the entire story pretty well now though. If anybody has any questions feel free to ask but spoiler heavy questions will be answered cryptically.
    GusindaJuliusBorisov
  • BladeDancerBladeDancer Member Posts: 477
    @AMP1972 It's true, fan fiction dot net is where everyone, even me, posts quality fan fictions. I prefer to go there because there is no limit to how long a chapter can be, unlike in DeviantArt, where fan fictions posted there are limited to be 6.64 megabytes long if I recall correctly.
    ZaramMaldovar[Deleted User]JuliusBorisov
    I'll be on vacation so Chapter 3 will have to wait until January, but rest assured that work (however slow) continues.
    JuliusBorisovGusinda
    Chapter 3 is still only about 5% done, both my coworker and I are really swapped with real life lately, but I can give you the title

Chapter 3: Dire Circumstances
    Gusinda
    Work on Chapter 3: Dire Circumstances has been restored as of late and it is now about 10% done, the outlines for Chapters 4 and 5 have been crafted but will take some time to actually write following the completion of Chapter 3.

In the meantime, I'm going to be working on some short stories that take place in the same universe but will mostly focus on other characters (although one focuses heavily on Zaram and Imoen as children) and will tie in somewhat to the main story, though only slightly. I do love me some world building.

Stay tuned, sorry for the delays but life eats up a lot of my time.
    Gusinda
    If anyone has any ideas for short stories let me know, so far my only solid story project is a prequel short story involving Zaram and Imoen as children.

I'm open to suggestions, this is your chance to see a character shine that may not make it into the main story.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @ZaramMaldovar, how does the life and times of 'Mother' Zaram sound ending in the birth of baby Zaram (G rated of course..)?

I have done something similiar with the back story of one of my main characters (Elf FMT) to try and keep within the scripted 20 years at Candlekeep. His mother's life, date with ' dear old dad', his life before Candlekeep through to being rescued by Gorion as he was about to be placed on the alter with one of his younger brothers, Sarevok, and why he had forgotten everything... All relatively short but was fun to put together.

Or what the title "The Complete Works of Noober - Abridged Version"; or how Noober became Noober. A puzzling character indeed.

Gus
    ZaramMaldovar
    edited February 2019
    @Gusinda
    I appreciate it, but I already have an idea for a prequel story featuring Gorion that will have Alianna in it.

A Noober story isn't a terrible idea, perhaps as an April Fool's Joke?

What do you guys think of the story of Minsc first meeting Boo?

I'd call it: A Miniature Meeting of Diminutive Destiny and it would involve Minsc buying Boo from a certain shady sorcerer trying to formulate a fraction of his famous former fortune with a questionable business bazaar.
    Gusinda
    Work on Chapter 3: Dire Circumstances has resumed and is now in full swing.

The Chapter is about 30% done but I'm going to refrain from giving a solid estimate on when it will be done in case a delay like this happens again.

I'm looking forward to moving forward with the story now that I have better time management.
    Gusinda
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @ZaramMaldovar, where did you get the better time management? I could get me some of that...

Gus
    [Deleted User]
    @Gusinda
    I'm no longer going to school (for now), so I have more time on my hands. My time has actually always been managed rather forcefully because my schedule is based off of when I'm not working. But for editing and writing sessions, I still have to hope that my cowriter is able to edit and write as well.

My time management is BETTER, it's still not very good.

But the short answer? I have some decent time management because I'm kinda forced to.
    Gusinda[Deleted User]
    Ok so we hit a bit of a snag having to fix a few plot holes in the writing but now we're about 40% done and trying our best to pick up steam.

Gusinda[Deleted User]
    Hey everyone, I just wanted to give an update.

To be honest, progress on my story has stagnated with me battling depression and my co-worker having more and more of his time taken up by raising his child who recently turned one. I have no idea when if at all I will be finished with Chapter 3, but I wanted to leave a short sample of what we've been working on in hope that it will tide you over.

Keep in mind that all of this is subject to change, but here is a small sample of our rough draft for Chapter 3: Dire Circumstances.

Carrying himself with newfound inflation of importance, Thoruguard Swordchild left the scene of Zaram’s departure in much better spirits than he had been a few moments earlier. If the Maldovar boy were to marry Alia than he would gain a great deal of power within Candlekeep and perhaps throughout the rest of Faerun as well. He now had only to find a way to make such a proposal worth Gorion’s time. A difficult task surely, but not an insurmountable one; he had in fact already married his eldest daughter to the prestigious Deltore family from his home city of Athkatla a move that granted the Swordchilds greater access to the marine routes leading from Athkatla to the cities of Ravos and Spire. In comparison it wouldn’t be of much difficulty to speak to a few old Tome Keepers.

With this decision made he continued on his way to the tradehouse to set up shop for the day. When he arrived he found the main room nearly empty with the exception of a few of his fellow merchants, his daughter Alia and a man whom he recognized as the Commander of the Watchers all sitting at a single large table. All of his hired men had seemingly vanished without a trace and the smile on the plump merchant’s face faded away almost as quickly as it arrived. Crossing the table to speak with those who remained he glared daggers into the eyes of the Commander. “Where are my men, Hull?. Explain now and explain quickly”

Glaring back at the man who addressed him, Hull removed his helmet and placed it on the table, revealing the worn and tired face of a human of fifty-six winters who looked easily ten or fifteen years older due to many years of military service. His face appeared to be somewhat smashed together and what remained of his unkempt hair was a mixture of grey and white showing no signs of the vibrant color that once existed in his youth. His eyes, greyer even than his hair stared into the merchant’s own brown ones as he rose to meet him. Despite Thoruguard’s own impressive height, Hull stood much taller at well over seven feet and gave a far more intimidating presence than the slightly older man.

“They left,” Hull told the man gruffly. “All of them, in a wagon heading the gods only know where”

“What in the Nine Hells do you mean, they left?” Thoruguard asked in a rage. “They were not dismissed! I gave no such order to…”

“I am charged with maintaining the Watch” Hull informed him. “I am charged with protecting Candlekeep and those that reside within it. What doesn’t concern me is the personal conflict of some pompous merchant and his deadbeat workers. Unless you have any business with me that directly affects my position, I suggest you go about your own”

“How dare you…”

“And if you’re desperate for someone to move your precious cargo for you; you can always hire a few mercenaries from here in Candlekeep” Hull smirked as he picked up his helmet and walked away with a dismissive wave. “You’d only have to pay them thirty silver a day; of course from what I’ve heard that’s almost five times what you were paying your low rent thugs. Is that too much for you to handle? I guess Swordchild’s don’t shit gold after all”.

I'll post a couple more samples later, rest assured I will continue work when I can but everything is pretty much frozen until further notice.

snr3ist3s902.png
    Courtesy of @DJKajuru

An Original Character first introduced in the prologue: Calinforth, Elder Leader of the First Order.
    DJKajuruGusinda
    Chapter 3 work has begun again. Terribly sorry this has taken so long but depression is a rough enemy. Chapter 3 is about 60% done now with my goal to release it by Feb 12th (My birthday)
    GusindaRao
    Chapter 3 work has begun again. Terribly sorry this has taken so long but depression is a rough enemy. Chapter 3 is about 60% done now with my goal to release it by Feb 12th (My birthday)

Well that didn't work out, lol. Well the good news is Chapter 3 is now about 75% done and the story has now been outlined with a basic idea of what's going to happen throughout the entire saga.

It's going to be a wild ride.
    GusindaRao
    Chapter 3 is about 70% done now, we are making steady progress
    RaoGusinda
    Chapter 3 is about 80% done now. We hit a snag where we realized that parts of the chapter had to far longer than we originally planned but at the pace we are working we hope to done by the end of May.
    Gusinda