Skip to content

Problem with Charname and Dorn in BG:EE

juddsijuddsi Member Posts: 4
After a few weeks break of playing I loaded my save and faced something very strange. My Charname and Dorn are all the time kind of starting a dialogue, stopping walking and facing towards each other, but nothing else happens.

This happens every couple of seconds, so it's very hard to move around when these two stop walking so I have to click them to move again all the time. Other four party members function normally.

Also quicksaving doesn't work most of the time because of this dialogue mode. I tried to load my previous chapter saves, but this same applies there so it doesn't help. I dunno if there was some updates during the last weeks that could cause the issue. What should I do?
anastiel

Comments

• BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    edited May 2018
    Hello @juddsi,

I doubt an update caused this; it sounds like the infamous stutter bug. One of the only "cures" I've heard of is killing the responsible party member then resurrecting them. Perhaps you could try killing Dorn? If that doesn't work, you can upload the save (if you want) and I'll see if I can find the problem / fix it.

Edit: P.S. - Are you playing with any mods installed? What game version are you running? Are you playing with the Siege of Dragonspear DLC installed?
    juddsi
  • juddsijuddsi Member Posts: 4
    Version 2.5.15.1. and no mods. Killing Dorn did not work.

Is the BALDUR.SAV the right file or do you need everything in the save folder? Thanks!
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    edited May 2018
    @juddsi
    You're on the right track; I do indeed need everything in the folder. You need to zip up the parent folder where the BALDUR.SAV is located. For example, if I was to upload my quick save slot I would navigate to C:\Users\username\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\save\ and zip up the folder 000000001-Quick-Save. If that was not terribly clear, please refer to this guide.

Attach this zip file (of whatever save game is broken) to your post, and we are good to go :)
    juddsi
  • juddsijuddsi Member Posts: 4
    @Bubb fixed my save, amazing work! This discussion can be closed. :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • SaricBlakeSaricBlake Member Posts: 64
    Grazie, adesso lo reinstallo e vedo se riesco a risolvere.
    Poi ti faccio sapere.
    [Deleted User]
  • Ricey709Ricey709 Member Posts: 3
    I'm having the same issue with Dorn, and I've tried all the fixes using two different keyboards, my file is edited to unlock the console. The fix must not work on Galaxy S7. If someone would be so kind to save me from restarting that would be great! I believe everything needed is in the attached zip.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Ricey709 The command

C:SetGlobal("kryll_conv","GLOBAL",2)

worked. Here's your fixed save:

Ricey709Montezano
    Wow that was fast! You're a life saver.
    JuliusBorisov
    Just tested the file, works fine. Thanks again! I spent hours trying to fix this myself and this was a last ditch effort to say the least. Maybe I'll actually finish the game this time, I never did kill Sarevok.
    -Ricey
    JuliusBorisov
  • FaritroFaritro Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone ! In first, please excuse my English level but I'm French and I can make many mistakes !

I've the same bug and I can't solve it by myself. Like others, I zipped my save file and I join it to this comment. Please, someone of you can fix it ? I wouldn't restart all the game just for that !

Thanks by advance !
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @Faritro

The command

Montezano
  • FaritroFaritro Member Posts: 2
    @JuliusBorisov

Thank you very much! My game is more pleasant now!
    JuliusBorisov
  • bluesman2050bluesman2050 Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same issue, but on a MacBook. I don't know how to run a script on my machine.
    @bluesman2050 - Check out https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/61900/how-to-enable-the-console-in-bgee-sod-bg2ee-in-version-2-0-and-later to see how to enable the console, and then use the code from above in-game.
  • MontezanoMontezano Member Posts: 1
    @Ricey709 The command

Thank you very much, I had given up playing after the update luckily I found after some time this help.

Worked well. =D

Sorry for my bad english.
    JuliusBorisov
  • BanchidudleBanchidudle Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys. I am having the same issue/bug but with 2 (Edwin and Baeloth). The strange thing was that in previous saves it was functioning well but at some point the game started doing this bug. Any way i can solve this issue? I already tried the thing u said on this post..but to no avail.
  • PatriCrusaderPatriCrusader Member Posts: 8
    edited June 2021
    I'm having a similar problem. Dorn automatically talks to me all the time. It's the dialogue you get if you dismiss him. "Either you jest or your judgment has lapsed..." and he can't move because he just keeps saying that same thing over and over again. I used the fix and it worked for a few minutes but then he started again the same way as before. He started again when I slept at an INN so that might be part of the problem?
    Post edited by PatriCrusader on
  • LiamChgoLiamChgo Member Posts: 44
    edited February 2022
    I’m doing a replay of BG2:EE and am doing Rasaad’s quest. I just finished the amphitheater and am heading for the heretic temple. I have the encounter with the Sun Soul monks. Everything is fine. As soon as I transition from that area, no matter where to, Dorn’s movement is affected. He will move only a few steps in any direction then stop.
    I tried the Global fix mentioned previously to no avail. If I go back to the auto save from the monk encounter, his movement is fine until I transition.

Edit: I am not familiar with the use of editor programs such as EE.
    Post edited by LiamChgo on
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Definitely a stutter bug. And since you included the detail about where it happened...

... that detail doesn't appear to be relevant. Dorn doesn't have anything special to say at the heretic temple. Instead, it seems that you ran out the timer on something else he wants to say.

The fix earlier in this thread is for a particular stutter bug in BGEE. It definitely won't help with a stutter bug in BG2EE. If you want this one diagnosed and solved, I recommend uploading your save.
    A little more detail: I have the Verr'Sza (raksasha companion from @LavaDelVortel ) mod installed and have both him and the other NPC from the mod in the group.
    I'm attaching the save file where the problem started. I also have a slightly older save from just before it started.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    I never used the tool, but there is this thing, perhaps it's going to help to identify the problem: https://github.com/SpellholdStudios/Stutter_Debug_Tool

From readme:
    For debugging as a player, install the first choice [1] of the tool and load the savegame with the stutter. Note or screenshot all displayed messages until you can be sure that the stutter was called at least twice. Foreward the script names and block numbers to the mod's author or a helping modder. To be able to identify the script block(s) in question, you also need to be ready to look up the script the modder tells you with NI (Near Infinity).

If I understand correctly, it will show the line from the scripts that may be causing the problem. Near Infinity is an editor which shows the line number for scripts, so get it too, so we can see the problematic lines. My scripts usually use the "L#" prefix so if it's that, send me a PM so we could continue the bug-hunt there.

Link to Near Infinity:
    https://github.com/Argent77/NearInfinity/releases/tag/v2.2-20211218
    edited February 2022
    I installed the first debug tool that @LavaDelVortel suggested and started the game. Dorn actually initiated a conversation as soon as I started the game. The conversation was about his next assignment from his patron. The game works fine as long as I don't head to the temple of Helm. As soon as I get there and the cut scene starts for the conversation the game freezes on the cut scene screen (second image).
    pnbbqq0o9iem.png

28tj6ly9y0a9.png
    Post edited by LiamChgo on
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,679
    You'd need to check what are blocks 34 and 153 od DORN.BCS. That is why I also sent the link to Near Infinity, because they may be different in your game, if scripts were added on the top of Dorn's script. That's why you need to check it, it may be unique for your game.

Run Near Infinity and open DORN.BCS and see blocks that start (or somehow include) line 34 and line 153. BCS lines are numbered in NI.
    Thanks @LavaDelVortel
    I’ll install and try Near Infinity after I get home from my Sunday afternoon Palladium Fantasy game.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    Checking the vanilla version of the script ... your problem is definitely a mod bug.

In the vanilla version of DORN.BCS, the block with line 34 is about ending the Viconia romance if you commit to Dorn, and the block with line 153 is about noting in your journal that you met Dorn in BGEE. Clearly, you have a mod that extends the script from the beginning, and one or both of the blocks involved in this stutter was added that way.
    First, a screencap of what happens when I load the game with the stutter.
    hakuszdjs3gn.png

Then two screenshots from Near Infinity showing the blocks in question of the DORN.BCS file.
    0yjmnxfup6h8.png
    xlrl38odguk6.png

I'm not sure of where to take it from here though. I will next attempt removing any mods that are not currently in play to see if that helps.
    While Stutterbug is running, Dorn will initiate the conversation the next quest in his bloody path, the assassination of Terpfen after a couple of minutes. After that conversation, the next cut scene causes the game to freeze and I have to use Task Manager to close the game. I tried going to the temple of Helm and the Two-Fold temple (Rasaad's quest). In both instances, there is a cut scene and in both instances the game freezes. When the game freezes, there is no chat window showing so any information from Stutterbug is unavailable.
    If I uninstall Stutterbug, Dorn will not initiate the conversation and his movement remains stuttered.
    I removed the Nathaniel NPC mod and the Dorn Extended Romance mod.
    The only NPC mod I have currently installed is Verr'Sza.
    Okay, last post about this for tonight. Apparently the frozen cut scene was caused by Stutterbug. As soon as I removed it, things worked fine.
    The conflict that caused the initial stutter seemed to be a conflict with the Dorn Extended Romance mod.
    Everything seems to be working properly now.