Skip to content

[Mod] New Refinements (v4?) beta release

12346»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited August 2018
    Question:

1) why don't you leave the 'core' refinements as it is but also add an option (component) to install your tweaks?
    1.1) Why do you think your personal changes are inappropriate?

2) what are the effects of divine intervention HLA?

3) If I dual class a barbarian level 40 to druid level 40, when I get back the first class, will it correctly sum up the hla of the two classes?
    Post edited by Arthas on
  • ScourgeScourge Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2018
    Hello Subtledoctor,

first of all, thank you for mantaining this mod. It provides an essential piece to my Baldur’s gate experience, and I can’t be grateful enough to you for giving us a chance to experience it.

Anyway, I've got a criticism about Refinements that (I hope) will be heard and hopefully given a thought or two.

I was questioning myself which class I would like to play next: my choice is, for the moment, between two different classes, Ranger or Barbarian.

From the little I’ve understood, Refinements purpose is to provide distincts HLA that feel actually part of the ‘core’ identity of the classes, but while I think that the purpose was masterfully provided with the barbarian HLA(s), I can’t be a little deluded by what I’ve seen was provided for the rangers.

I’ll be honest, I can’t find a legitimate reason to play Ranger over Barbarian, unless I’m on the mood of crippling myself for the next game, or just zealously wanting to play ranger.

So, I’ve got a few feature requests to ask, to spicy up the ranger and actually provide a legitimate choice to the players.

[Spoiler]

1) Endurance

Endurance.
    This innate ability grants the ranger greater endurance for 5 hours. He gains a 25% bonus to movement rate (non-cumulative with Boots of Speed), +1 bonus to saving throws and attack rolls, a 10% bonus to his maximum Hit Points, immunity to Fatigue and Unconsciousness and a slight boost to regeneration rate (1HP/round).
    This ability can be used once/day.

Comment: I don’t like this ability, it reminds me of the one day abilities power that you can get in Elder Scrolls Oblivion that actually turn out to be useless because you never know:
    > if it’s the right time to use them
    > you simply forget about them or focus too much on when you should use them
    > encourage sleep spamming.

My proposal is the following:
    > make the ability a passive
    > actually make the 25% bonus movement rate cumulative with boots of speed.
    > think about improving the regen too to at least 2 hp/round(but I’m thinking it may be too much?)

The ability can be selected only one time.

2) (second, third) Racial Enemy
    While you can select a feat to improve the bonus you have against the enemy you’ve selected at game’s beginning, I would like an HLA to select another Racial enemy, to a maximum of three racial enemies, with the due Racial Nemesis too feat.

3) Improved Ambidexterity
    Can a look be taken at this? A +2 Thaco for a HLA is really underwhelming.

> Maybe add a bonus damage?

> Or maybe add another APR when using two weapons without the thaco and dps bonus?

[/spoiler]

Thanks for reading.

Regards.
    Post edited by Scourge on
  • Offering a minor bug report =)

When I install thief HLA's it installs fine, but in game it alters the "not usable by" table on scrolls by replacing fighter and thief with multiclass Cleric/Thief, Fighter/Druid, Fighter/Cleric, and Fighter/Thief. The end result is that all the single class fighters and thieves now get to use scrolls (and I'm sure they're very excited!) It took me a while to track down what was doing it, but it's definitely this one and only the thief HLA portion of it

It's not a gamebreaking issue to me, but I also don't think it's working as intended > >
    Either way, I hope this helps and thank you for all your hard work!
  • Summer_SnowmanSummer_Snowman Member Posts: 5
    If this mod was on BWS then it has a few bugs. For one, only thief illusionists get the ability to acquire mirrored clones. Another is that fighter druids get greater elemental summoning but dual class berserker Druid doesn't. Finally, undead hunters can't take their smite undead hla.
  • agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @subtledoctor does this support IWD:EE? I believe the Shapeshifter fix and the sword angel, at least, would make sense.
    Any chance you could take a look at scourge's post? I find he has legitimate feedback. Or are you just thinking to leave the mod nowadays the way it is (so, only bugfixing) and no further tweaks?
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    edited November 2018
    @subtledoctor
    1. How about donate "Universal lesser mage robes" component to "Tweaks Anthology"

2. How about donate "Shapeshifting fix" component to "Tweaks Anthology" because it's apparently better version of 'Westley Weimer' component which ends inside TA as 'Shapeshifter Rebalancing (Weimer)'

3. How about externalize "SwashImoen" component to "Refinements Kits Mod" in order to split HLA and Kit components?

Post edited by ALIEN on
    edited January 2019
    6 months have passed so, I have to ask again:

1) Would you take a look at Scourge's request?
    2) Would you talke a look at Alien's requests?
    3) Would you kindly release your personal tweaks (e.g No planetar?)
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,271
    @Arthas About 2) It was already discussed.
    edited May 2019
    I made a ranger\Cleric, and after dual classing the ranger at level 32, I eekeeper myself to level 40.
    For some strange reason though, I cannot choose more than once my cleric abilities. As such, 8 HLA are wasted.

Do you need any technical informations from me to discover what is the issue?
    Post edited by Arthas on
  • harticus33harticus33 Member Posts: 23
    edited June 2019
    Hello @subtledoctor !
    As others have said, thanks for all the work you do in maintaining these mods! Getting prepped for another run through and a lot of mods I'm excited about have you to thank.

I think I have a bug to report, though, if you have time to fix it.

I've been testing some mods to prep a big install and it seems that if you install SR component - Planetar and Deva animations - that Refinements negates this and returns the avatar to the vanilla giant blue figure (which I'm not a fan of) I'm going to try to leave that SR component until right after refinements, but wanted to see if this was a bug you could fix?

Also, for Wizard HLA's and making them innate abilities, the most recent Refinements is split. Some are abilities - as SR component installs them, but some new ones are lvl 9 spells, and dragon's breath is moved to a spell.

Refinement HLA's NOT as innate abilities: Aegis, Death Field, Dragon's Breath, and Foresight.

I thought SCS would fix this back since it also has a component for ability HLA's, but it detects the original SR component and skips it.

Is there any way this could be tweaked? I am sure from what I've read that I could probably do this myself if I knew how. Thanks for any time you have (or anyone else who has experienced this).

Edit: I've figured a fix - skip the SR that changes the planetars appearance, then install it towards the end, right before SCS when you install the other 'last' SR component where you fix NPCs' spellbooks. This works, and the new planetar avatars skins get the modified abilities from either refinements or SCS (not sure which).
    Post edited by harticus33 on
    I don't know if you've got time, but I'm still out there hoping for the ranger HLA rework :P
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • crymoricuscrymoricus Member Posts: 8
    edited July 2019
    Wrong thread, sorry.
    Post edited by crymoricus on
  • wasa116wasa116 Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2019
    BG2EE F/M/T refinements-4.24

vspitbnzdom8.png

WeiDU.log:
    // Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
    // The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
    // ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
    ~REFINEMENTS/SETUP-REFINEMENTS.TP2~ #0 #10 // Revised High Level Abilities -> Install revised HLAs for all classes: beta 4.24
    Have you read the prerequisite?
    edited August 2019
    Arthas wrote: »
    Have you read the prerequisite?

There is no "Power Attack" in the list...

And F/M/T should't get "Critical Strike".

revised_hlas.txt:

//2.12.9: Fighter/Mage/Thief

Table:

-Whirlwind Attack
    -Deathblow
    -Power Attack
    -War Cry
    -Resist Magic
    -Hardiness
    -Energy Blades
    -Dragon's Breath#
    -Foresight#
    -Aegis#
    -Death Field#
    -Scribe Scrolls#
    -Alchemy
    -Set Spike Trap
    -Set Exploding Trap
    -Set Time Trap
    -Assassination
    -Cripple#
    -Evasion#
    -Avoid Death# (requires: Evasion#)
    -Slippery Mind#
    -Combat Reflexes#

Post edited by wasa116 on
    Which class are you ?
    Arthas wrote: »
    Which class are you ?

Elf Fighter/Mage/Thief
    @subtledoctor

1) Any chance of actually do something related to this post? https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/998682/#Comment_998682

2) Leonardo, in spellhold studios forum, say that for classic games Refinements v24 component 110 Thief HLAs freezes the game when Imoen frees the protagonist from the cage in Irenicus dungeon. Can anything be done to fix this?
    See: http://www.shsforums.net/topic/60582-bwpv182-released/?p=607468
    edited October 2019
    But your new patching rather than overwriting is too good to be forsaken.

In the old ui the second you get too many levels you cannot choose to add multiple times a hla: you are forced to atually choose all of them then forsake the remaining points.

While the new ui is a work of beauty that makes you able to choose whatever you wish in the numbers you wish.
    Post edited by Arthas on