Skip to content

Final Fantasy

2»

Comments

• ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    edited August 2018
    Nah, Dark Knight is the default job of the special character you can get. As is the Onion Knight character. You can't be a Dark Knight or Onion Knight with no other character, though. It's a mod of the PS1 version, after all.

The Dark Knight is a strong class, easily as strong as Agrias (a bit more actually), but it will need special "treatment" later in the game (as in, a solid equipment setup), because big armored guys tend to lack speed at higher levels. But, since they do pack a punch, they're still plenty useful. After all, nothing's OP in the hand of the player in this mod. Seriously. Even if you slap two Tonberry's knife on a ninja, which means crazy speed with very good insta-kill chance, you still will have to have a good strat, otherwise you'll get your ass handed to ya. :p

... about Agrias. She will be kinda ok-ish when you get her, but she will get better as higher level gear appears. She won't be as good as you might expect early : Sword Skills are now evadeable and not as strong as before. So, if you choose to slap Concentrate on her instead Attack Up, well, she won't miss, but she won't OHKO things left and right; her damage is gonna be pretty average. The Sword Skills' status effect procs are still there though, and that's why she's still good, but it's a drastic change from the vanilla game.

... and (random thoughts) Geomancers are now super good. The range of their "ground" ability is smaller, but they deal solid damage. You can stack lots of MA on a high faith female geomancer and give her White Magic as a secondary ability. Good defense and a solid, free offense that has a chance to proc. Give her a shield and Abandon and she'll barely get hit. One example of the things you can do (among LOTS of other things... :p ).

One last thing for this post : Mediator can't alter Faith and Brave anymore. Starting stats are really important now. Only a few cheesy spells can alter Fa/Br, but only the enemy has those skills and only a handful of those can use these skills : some monsters in the (completely optionnal) Deep Dungeon and the final fight. However, loosing Brave in the final fight doesn't matter THAT much, because, you know, it's the final fight. Oh, and Rafa and Malak are reworked, so high Br/low Fa Malak and low Br/high Fa Rafa can totally kick some ass.

Edit : Embrace Meatbone Slash (monks have it now). You can setup a team around maximazing Meatbone Slash. Slap it on a chemist. With its gun, it's awesome. Really.

@Arctodus
    Ramza's ultima, funny story there, I got that while being petrified lol.

That's... actually super funny ! :D
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited August 2018
    @Arctodus
    I've looked at all the classes i did see some things i didn't like. The reduced range on geomancers geomancy abilities for one. Even if you scale their damage up the true strength of the geomancer came from its ability range as well as the status effects it applied at the cost of no mana. That's part of the reason its damage didn't scale. Then take into account that you literally have to be standing on a specific terrain to use the ability and if you're standing on one in which the ability hasn't been unlocked than you are screwed.

I also don't like making dark knight a special character class, but like you said it's a mod of the original. But it's obvious that they played lions war since they even brought in onion knight which was unlockable in lions war. Also get got the whole world leveling with you thing from lions war. I don't remember if it actually happened in the original game because i never had to power level to level 40 at the beginning of chapter one like in lions war. But, the world did the same thing there, all bit story missions. Meaning if you had a thief, you could steal high level equipment from enemies.

I do love what they did with teleport. I can now move anywhere with a chance for failure instead of move anywhere within my move space. Teleport was always one of my favorite movement abilities.

I'm debating whether or bot i want to power level ramaza to a sage or geomancer for my first playthrough since that was the thing i loved doing first, unlocking the class o wanted in chapter one and than having a feel day, but it seems like the game discourages that which also disappointing.
    edited August 2018
    It’s gonna be my last comment on the mod in this thread, because I don’t want to clutter the thread with FFT 1.3 stuff, so, if you want to ask me about anything, just PM me.

You can still open jobs without gaining too much xp. When you get to level 10, you can bring a level 1 generic character to a random fight to use him as an JP sponge. Since he’s level 1, you’re gonna get only 1 xp per hit, but still get the full 10 jp. That way, you could unlock plenty of jobs for Ramza without gaining too much levels. It can also provide a steady stream of jp that will let you unlock powerful abilities, which will make the first two chapters much easier. The real difficulty will appear somewhere in chapter 3 no matter what abilities you have unlocked though.

The design idea behind it is to prevent to level up your way through the challenge. The spirit of the mod is to ‘’git gud’’ ( :smiley: ) and that’s a good thing if you ask me.

Also, don’t think about having a ‘’build’’ for every character. Unlock plenty of skills and don’t be afraid to switch things around for every fight. Different problems require different solutions. I usually have males unlock the physical jobs and females the magic side of the job tree because of their respective PA/MA bonuses at creation, but after a while, you’ll need to have access to good abilities on both sides. Hamedo on a stick wielding Oracle can be monster combination. (Oracles are much better now. Their skills have a higher percentage of connecting. But that’s also true for the enemy... )

Edit : The vanilla game only had random encounters scaling with you; now, even story fights scale. That’s a big difference. However, if you want to take the time to steal stuff with a thief, you can level to 99 before Gariland and still make it through. The beginning is just gonna be a lot harder. It’s just not recommended for a first playthrough.
    Post edited by Arctodus on
    edited August 2018
    @DragonKing Forgot to tag you. The earlier post is fo ya. ;)
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    I was never a big fan of jRPGs(will not detail to not offend anyone here), but one FF game i liked. Dirge of Cerberus,

Here is a small gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CA4zrotxgI

I liked how you can customize every gun, how Cerberus(tri barrel revolver) with long barrel and short barrel are so different. And Vincent's transformations are always epic.
  • DeixterShawl33DeixterShawl33 Member Posts: 18
    I'll be waiting for Final Fantasy VII Remake and also Final Fantasy VIII for PS4. (If Square decided to make Final Fantasy VIII for PS4 or PS5)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I gave up on the VII remake as soon as they announced it would be an episodic ARPG.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    huh, I'm not super interested in the ff7 remake, but the idea of a dirge of cerberus remake is actually pretty appealing
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    SethDavis said:

huh, I'm not super interested in the ff7 remake, but the idea of a dirge of cerberus remake is actually pretty appealing

Me too, honestly i don't like play with melee characters on any game(not only rpg), Dirge of Cerberus, play with Vincent was pretty good, even i that don't like much the genre and FF universe, loved it.
    ThacoBell said:

I gave up on the VII remake as soon as they announced it would be an episodic ARPG.

@ThacoBell
    When did they announce this? I gave up on it when it was more important to them to make sure a character got a freaking breast reduction and that a certain scene got taken out of the game.
    edited September 2018
    @DragonKing It was a good while ago. You should be able to find it easily.

But C'mon, losing interest because Tifa got a breast reduction? THere is no way that she didn't have chronic back problems before. I'm glad she took steps to get healthier, and kept her self esteem ;)
    @ThacoBell
    Allow me to quote epic rap battle of history's Tolkien,

"the genre’s called fantasy
    It’s meant to be unrealistic, "

I find it interesting that people want to argue about the health hazards that big breast have while ignoring the health hazards that come with wielding a gun to ones hand have not carrying a sword bigger than the wielder on ones back for like 99.9% of the story. Just the sheer mundanity of it all.

Yeah, but I don't have personal experience in giant swords or gun arms. I see og Tifa and all I can think of is how much pain she is in. Something being completely fantastic is easier to accept than something that is half realistic.