Ah, Final Fantasy. A franchise hated by many, and loved by many more.
I know there's a couple FF fans in here, due to the turn-based RPG thread, but I didn't want to go too off topic there so I decided to create this one.
So, share your thoughts about FF. Favourite game? The game you didn't quite enjoy? Do you like the movies/animes/whatever? Memories you'd like to share? All are welcome (including the people who dislike the franchise, please, share your opinions with us too).
The thing I love the most about FF is how every game has it's own identity. The fact that the numbered games are not
sequels to each other is something incredibly original, and was a bit of a risk at the time (it paid off imo). In fact there were no sequels whatsoever for a very very long time.
The music is incredible. I do believe there has never been a FF game with bad music.
I love the fact that, while every game is different, they still feel like a FF game. You always know to expect some things. There will (almost) always be Chocobos. A character named Cid. Crystals. Jobs (they're always there even when you can't change them). Light vs Dark. We could probably name a hundred things that all FF games share between each other.
The stories are always incredible. I know someone's gonna come in here and say it's always a teenager with stupid hair trying to save the world. And that's okay! You can dislike it. I love it
One must also notice the influence that D&D had on FF.
I'm not much of a reviewer, but I'll make a list of the ones I've played so far and we can try to start a conversation from there. You will notice that I have a special love for the games with the Job System.
You can do a similar list if you'd like.
Game - (version played) - Opinion
So... I'll try not to write too much
. I bolded
my favourite ones.
- PSP - Ah, the original. No chocobos. No summoners either. The story may seem very simple nowadays but I'm sure it was great (for a videogame) at the time. How beautiful is the prophecy? "When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come."
It was also the (very very simple) start of the Job System. Just choose 4 classes for your characters at the very beginning, and you will get an upgrade about halfway through the game.
Final Fantasy II - PSP - I'm currently playing this one for the very first time, so no opinion as of yet.
-----Final Fantasy III (3D remake)
- Steam - This game is fun as hell, and the Job System is developed into something much better. Now you can switch Jobs whenever you like (after unlocking them of course).
Final Fantasy IV (3D remake) - Steam - Eh, it was alright. I did love Rydia though.
Final Fantasy IV - The After Years (3D remake) - Steam - I liked that it was divided by chapters, which is original in FF. The game was alright too. More Rydia.
-----Final Fantasy V
- Steam - The epitome of the Job System, and the story is great. I can't tell you how much I loved this one. Exdeath (he should really be called Exodus, but eh...) is a great villain. The characters are good, music is amazing. 10/10 game right here, and the steam port is actually pretty nice.
Final Fantasy VI - SNES ('bout halfway thru) / Steam (finished) - Overrated. Not bad, just overrated. But it has Ultros, and Ultros is hilarious! And the opera scene was incredibly groundbreaking at the time.
Final Fantasy VIII - Steam - I never did finish this one. It's alright but not really my cup of tea.
-----Final Fantasy X
- PS2 - Oh man I love this game to bits. The characters, the monsters, the music, the story. One of the few games that honestly left me with tears in my eyes when I finished it.
Final Fantasy X-2 - PS2 - An uneeded sequel with a ridiculous plot. Having said that, the game is fun as hell. Job System again, disguised as "dresspheres". Naked chicks, woohoo! Eh, it was alright.
Final Fantasy XII - PS2 - The story did nothing for me, but I liked the gameplay a lot. It's different from what I expected. Only thing gameplay-wise I disliked was the summon system.
Final Fantasy Tactics - War of the Lions - PSP - I didn't enjoy this game at all
, in fact I never finished it. Sue me.
Final Fantasy Brave Exvius - Android - Played for a couple weeks, it's decent but they expect you to spend way way too much time playing it. I got tired. Typical mobile game.
-----Final Fantasy Dimensions
- Android - Currently playing this one, haven't finished it yet but I already love it. It's a mix of all the classical FF games, rolled up into one, with a new story. And it has a Job System that's almost a copy of FFV. So of course I love it! I can't recomend this game enough, please try it out if you like the classical FF games. Don't let the "android" tag fool you, it's not your typical mobile game. It could've easily been released on consoles/steam and I'm honestly surprised that it never was. Huge recomendation!
I didn't mention FFVII because I must've played about 10% of the game. I honestly didn't enjoy it much.
Shout out to Final Fantasy - The Spirits Within
which was a great movie with mind-blowing animation. People hated it because "it's different from the games". I can't help but wonder if those same people ever actually played a FF game in their life, because they're also all different from each other.Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children
was decent.Kingsglaive: Final Fantasy XV
was better than I expected.