Skip to content

David Gaider on Intimacy in Baldur's Gate II and BioWare RPGs (Interview)

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
https://www.shacknews.com/article/103473/beneath-a-starless-sky-pillars-of-eternity-and-the-infinity-engine-era-of-rpgs?page=15

"Craddock: How did the option to romance characters come about? It wasn't in the first Baldur's Gate. Was that something James wanted to hit this this time around?

Gaider: We discussed, "Let's give them arcs," and then the idea of romances came up. We initially were supposed to have six: three female, three male. We were interested in that, but what the romances would be? I don't think we [knew]. It wasn't like we had direction such as, "Make it emotionally resonate." We were just trying to write a good story. As I recall, that's all we were trying to do. It was a little weird, because romance in a video game seemed like a weird thing. We weren't sure how we would do this.

I remember when I was sitting down and trying to write romances, I was just trying to make it an interesting story. I was trying to figure out what to do with Anomen. That was actually my first romance, and I didn't know what to do with him. I didn't create his character. The first part of his character writing had been done by, I think, Rob Bartel, one of the other writers. And [the character] was kind of an asshole. I had followed up on that, here's this arrogant paladin guy, based on what Rob had started. Then at some point I remember James saying, "Okay, he's the first male romance." And I was like, "Really? Really? Anomen? You think...? Okay. Sure. I'll figure it out."

I was trying to take Anomen and figure out, okay, how would you romance this guy? I didn't give any thought, really to who the audience was or if it would be an emotional thing. I just thought, If this were a story I were writing, like a book, how would it play out? Drama is just a thing that has to happen. I didn't feel pressured to make it engaging for the player. I just thought, Well, what do I feel like? What do I think is cool?

Same thing when I wrote Aerie and Viconia [DeVir] romances. They were kind of dropped in my lap because I wasn't supposed to do the female romances at all, but Luke was falling way behind, so they said, "Why don't you do these?" So I was like, okay, they're very different from each other, so I took two different [approaches]: Aerie being the damsel in distress, Viconia being a femme fatale. When I did tabletop, I would sometimes give my players romances. If they were romancing a player in my game, how would I write that story? That's all.

I was thinking about what we had done. We weren't even sure that the romances would work, or that they'd make it into the final game. But we had no idea, honestly, that they'd be popular. I think when the game got released and we saw they were popular, it was a complete surprise to us. So from my perspective, I was making a side quest like the other side quests. That really was the entirety of it."

Read more in the interview.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I heard somewhere it was gonna be Valygar. Don't recall where.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    both haer and valygar were meant to be romances but time caused it to be just anomen. thankfully we now have mods that make romances for them so we no longer live in the dark times.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    TFA said:

Luke Christensen wrote Jaheira's romance, and it was huge. The romances I wrote were quite a bit smaller, but also simpler. Jaheira's had so many bugs.

So, so, SO many.
    CamDawg said:

TFA said:

Luke Christensen wrote Jaheira's romance, and it was huge. The romances I wrote were quite a bit smaller, but also simpler. Jaheira's had so many bugs.

So, so, SO many.
    I'm glad it works now, that's a high quality romance.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    yep. the only one i really like and the one that feels the least tacked-on, and the most like a seamlessly-integrated quest.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Good article but,

Was enjoying all the info about the background to BG2, how the writing progressed, how things were developed and then unfortunately how and why things were cut.

So as this was a writer who knows all the behind the scenes stuff, was hoping for some more info about the cut content ect. as that seemed to be where it was heading.
    What they wanted to do, things they really felt were a bad call to curtail, compromises they wished they hadn't made, things that they breathed a sigh of relief they got rid because with hindsight figured didn't work, ect.

And then there's "pages" about politics and SJW stuff.....sighs.

Good article but,

Was enjoying all the info about the background to BG2, how the writing progressed, how things were developed and then unfortunately how and why things were cut.

So as this was a writer who knows all the behind the scenes stuff, was hoping for some more info about the cut content ect. as that seemed to be where it was heading.
    What they wanted to do, things they really felt were a bad call to curtail, compromises they wished they hadn't made, things that they breathed a sigh of relief they got rid because with hindsight figured didn't work, ect.

It wouldn't be such a hot button topic in BG is people didn't flip their lids over two sentences in an expansion that had as much dialogue as all of Icewind Dale. It was like calling Lord of the RIngs crap because someone saw a typo on page 300.
  • The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    That was a really insightful interview. I love getting an inside perspective on the games I love, and I never knew David was gay. I’m always happy to discover that there were minority folks involved with stuff I love—I suspect that’s part of why it’s so good!
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Really? His last name didn't give it away?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Have just noticed - this interview with David Gaider is a part of a free 480 page (!) book about Pillars of Eternity and the history of the Infinity Engine RPGs by David Craddock.

Check it out.

For example, here's an interesting chapter about IE games: https://www.shacknews.com/article/103473/beneath-a-starless-sky-pillars-of-eternity-and-the-infinity-engine-era-of-rpgs?page=3#detail-view

This one is about PST: https://www.shacknews.com/article/103473/beneath-a-starless-sky-pillars-of-eternity-and-the-infinity-engine-era-of-rpgs?page=18#detail-view
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited October 2018

It was actually the snowflake right making a fuss about it, which begets a response to the fuss, so turning around and going "Look at the SJW fuss" is tremendously hypocritical.
    DrakeICN said:

It was actually the snowflake right making a fuss about it, which begets a response to the fuss, so turning around and going "Look at the SJW fuss" is tremendously hypocritical.
    You're not wrong, but I don't think that's what she is saying. She is commenting on the amount of content dedicated to it, I don't seeing anything calling out any specific group on it.
    DrakeICN said:

I presume you are referencing SOD?

This interview didn't seem to mention anything about that (confused).
    Not even blaming David Gaider, just that's the way all interviews seem to go nowadays.

BTW, did you miss this?

"We probably got as much, if not more, from the social justice crowd."

Which I'm pretty sure was talking about events long before SOD.

• The_CheesemanThe_Cheeseman Member Posts: 175
    scriver said:

Really? His last name didn't give it away?

It took me a disappointingly long time to get that. Well played! X-D
  • CamDawg said:

TFA said:

So, so, SO many.
    Appropriate, really. Where you have druids, you get bugs. And mammals, reptiles, and birds. And in one rare case, a chicken, but we don't know which came first.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    How is it OT? The interview literally contain a discussion on what we just discussed! :|
    edited October 2018
    Hands up, I take full respnsibility for causing the above.

But it does rather underline the point I was making.

I really like the middle part of the interview, and he says this,

"So, when BG 2 went out, we thought, This is crap. Well, everybody else doesn't know these things were cut, and they're seeing all the work we did fresh for the first time."

But we kind of do now, and was really hoping for some specific examples, especially cut romances and quests (just what is Tazok doing there with that key? somebody must know where that was heading).

I also think the disorganisation and lack of structure had a profound effect on making the games as they are and it's something nobody would replicate. But it's actually how you preserve that direct link between the creativity and the consumer.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    Why did David left Beamdog and where does he work now?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    edited October 2018
    I ask once again to stay on topic. The intent of this thread was to share parts from the big book about the history of the Infinity Engine RPGs by David Craddock.

A few comments were split from this thread.