Skip to content

October 05 Livestream Recap

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
During today’s livestream Beamdog CEO Trent Oster and Producer Luke Rideout shared the latest studio news and updates on Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition and the Infinity Engine Enhanced Editions. They called Technical Director on the NWN:EE core team, Bernhard Stöckner (@niv), to talk about the recent patch and what’s next for NWN:EE.

Catch up with our quick summary.

Comments

• TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    ThacoBell said:

I see a serious misstep here. "No current plans to add to existing campaings", oh tsk tsk, but what about dangling SoulTaker plot thread? The people's souls cry out for closure!

Thats for NWN:EE, not for BG, @ThacoBell, dont give up hope yet, watch the twitch rerun, and catch that, they said for NWN, not other Infinity engine games, oh tsk tsk.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @ThacoBell - you know what would bring the SoulTaker plot towards closure? Releasing SoD on the Mac App Store so the rest of us could open up the quest in the first place!

I suspect we could be repeating variations of this exchange for a long time to come ;)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited October 2018

ThacoBell said:

I see a serious misstep here. "No current plans to add to existing campaings", oh tsk tsk, but what about dangling SoulTaker plot thread? The people's souls cry out for closure!

Thats for NWN:EE, not for BG, @ThacoBell, dont give up hope yet, watch the twitch rerun, and catch that, they said for NWN, not other Infinity engine games, oh tsk tsk.
    I don't have time to watch streams, but the bullet point for this was nested with the IE comments.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    All they need to do is give the dagger to Ilyich, then a quest to take it to Chief Inspector Brega to have him send it north, like you do with Neb's head. It wouldn't be a great ending, but it would be an ending.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    MERLANCE said:

All they need to do is give the dagger to Ilyich, then a quest to take it to Chief Inspector Brega to have him send it north, like you do with Neb's head. It wouldn't be a great ending, but it would be an ending.

They had a whole questline planned, with charname returning to a ruined Chateau Irenicus and finding it, before Trent changed his mind for some reason. What they had sounded interesting, and anything less would be a disappointment.
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    I guess the reason for changing his mind is so that he doesn't deal with any more controversies about people potentially not liking this new resolution and blaming Beamdog for breaking their 'perfect' image of baldurs gate world in their minds.

Though I would love more content and a resolution for BG2, I can't blame him for his decision to be honest.
  • MiraStastnyMiraStastny Member Posts: 813
    Ludwig_II said:

I guess the reason for changing his mind is so that he doesn't deal with any more controversies about people potentially not liking this new resolution and blaming Beamdog for breaking their 'perfect' image of baldurs gate world in their minds.

Though I would love more content and a resolution for BG2, I can't blame him for his decision to be honest.

No.

The main reason's gotta be SoD's underwhelming sales. That's why there's no major DLC for BG2 or even a minor one with companions from SoD. It's just not economically viable for them. If SoD made enough money, they would've made some sort of follow-up no matter the reviews and controversies. They're in business of making money after all.

So instead of that, we're now getting cashgraby DLCs like Faces of Good and Evil or soundsets, which you need to buy separately for each Beamdog game. If there's gonna be a new DLC, it's gonna be for NWN, because it's pretty cheap to make one.
  • EvilkissEvilkiss Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 96
    From your recap: "We’re happy to have such a fantastic team of volunteer translators! All these people are awesome. If you want to help translate our games, find out more here."

Yeah, thx, but do you know what make us more fantastic and you more happy? - upgrade translate tool UI to more friendly as soon as possible. With that I think you get more awesome translators in your team. :smiley:
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    @Evilkiss This is in the works, as Phil promised. Our web developers are working on adding NWN:EE (and its own string structure) to the translation tool. Upgrading the translate tool UI is planned next.
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    While we’re focused on new stories, it doesn’t mean we rule out additions to existing campaigns. That said, we have no current plans to expand the content of Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition.

Well, that's disappointing news. I've suspected that to be the case, but to know for sure it ain't happening makes me sad.
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    edited October 2018
    Adul said:

While we’re focused on new stories, it doesn’t mean we rule out additions to existing campaigns. That said, we have no current plans to expand the content of Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition.

Well, that's disappointing news. I've suspected that to be the case, but to know for sure it ain't happening makes me sad.
    Kind of make me wonder if that's a reversal from a few weeks ago from what they say they were looking at expanding in the far future, but no imitate plans. I made a thread highlighting this twitch here:https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/72601/thoughts-of-possible-bgii-ee-dlc-road-map-could-be#latest
    Post edited by Torgrimmer on