Skip to content

New here! Mac app questions

I have purchased BG:EE through the Mac App Store for Mac OS X. Is it able to be modded, or only the version that you can purchased through beamdog? Also, will it be updated to 64bit in the future to still be compatible on the new OS coming out this summer? Final question, will SoD be available on the Mac App Store at all (for computer not phone)? I am trying to gauge whether or not I should repurchase BG:EE through here or not. If I end up having to repurchase EE through here, is there a way to export my current game from my App Store version to the beamdog version? Sorry for all of the questions!!!

Comments

• ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 426
    welcome to the forum! i don't have an answer to your questions, but i'm sure one of the resident experts here will be able to answer your questions.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited April 2018
    You can mod it; I’ve done it. The best inf can be found here and includes a link for various versions and sources.
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    Yes, yes, welcome, welcome!
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Life with the Mac App Store will be much nicer after the 2.5 patch releases later this year. Until then, we are stuck with the 1.3 release from 3 1/2 years ago. I believe the pending patch should resolve 64-bit support, as was released in the 2.4 patch on iOS a few months back.

The 2.0 patch released 2 years ago yesterday made a lot of changes that greatly improve the customizability of the game, and that might impact on your ability to run mods that assume you have made the upgrade (Mac App Store is the only supported platform not currently on the 2.x codebase). Otherwise, modding is supposed to be reasonably straightforward, although I don't play mods myself so cannot confirm.

As for SoD, BeamDog have currently no announced plans regarding that support in the future, neither to make it available, nor to confirm it will not happen. My last direct request to @JuliusBorisov on the topic got a distinctly neutral response, so as not to read more nor less into it. I am not aware of anything changing here, although welcome any news :)
  • Gandalph97Gandalph97 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info! In your option, is it worth re-purchasing BG:EE through here so that I can play SoD? Or is it fine to skip that and just stick with 1 and 2? I really enjoy playing this game!
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    The Mac App Store version can be modded, but there are few extra hoops to jump through.

First, all apps from the Mac App Store are owned by the "root" user, with no write permissions for non-root users. Modding requires having write permissions to files inside the app package, so you need to set those permissions.

Second, the Mac App Store auto-downloads updates. Now Beamdog hasn't been updating frequently by any stretch of the imagination, but when an update is available, you don't want it auto-downloading and overwriting a modded-install, since that wipes out your installed mods. This behavior can be turned off in the Mac App Store, but not on an app-by-app basis, i.e., if you turn off auto-updating, it is off for all apps.

The best solution would be to create a separate copy of the app downloaded from the App Store and then mod and play the copy, which isn't a bad idea anyway, assuming you have the disk space.
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    Welcome aboard. Enjoy your stay, your welcoming cookie should arrive shortly. @Nimran
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    To :cookie:, or not to :cookie:? I say :cookie:.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    Pinging @Gandalph97 to be sure they know that the 2.5 patch finally came to the Mac App Store last week!