Skip to content

BGEE not loading with New Windows 10 computer

Hi everyone. I bought a new computer with Windows 10 a few days ago. It's really fast and built as a gaming computer.

I had everything transferred over and it appears everything is where it's supposed to be but when I try to start I get the launch screen, but as soon as I click play I get an error message.

The error message takes me to a 'help page' but it doesn't include Windows 10 (stops at Windows 8) so I don't know how to troubleshoot. Any ideas on where I can start?

Thanks CT

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Post this in the Troubleshooting section or on the suport site, @JuliusBorisov can provide the link.
  • Thanks. Sorry for the misplacement.

Is there a way I can delete it after I copy the original post?
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

Thanks. Sorry for the misplacement.

Is there a way I can delete it after I copy the original post?

Don't worry, its not a hard rule, you'll just get better help there. You could tag a mod and ask them to delete this post if you wish.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Yes, you will get help at support.baldursgate.com - our QA is very active there.

You might want to go through this troubleshooting guide first: https://beamdog.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/206729933-Windows-My-Game-Won-t-Launch-Or-Is-Crashing-On-Launch
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @CharlestonianTemplar, would you be able to run DXDIAG, save the results and upload? Could you also add your baldur.lua to the upload.

There are a number of things that you could try in the meanwhile.
    - Install DirectX 9.0c and setup your engine to run using DirectX. To change the backend to run as DirectX, edit the baldur.lua and find the line below; change it from a 0 to a 1.
    SetPrivateProfileString('Graphics','Backend','1')
    (0 = OpenGL, 1=DirectX)
    - When you say you transferred everything, did you reinstall or just copy? If it was just a copy, then you could try renaming your baldur.lua (baldur.lua.old) and starting the game. BG should initialise with the new hardware and you could then add any changes you had previously (Console etc).

Hope one of those works, if not we can look futher with the new info.
    Gus