Skip to content

GOG Galaxy?

124»

Comments

• ActarusActarus Member Posts: 78
    Yes they can I think. But they added lately a feature. If you own the game you are now a "verified" buyer, so me credible.

I left a positive review of course. And I'm all the negative post there are posted by the 1% GOG user database. I'm sure the vast majority, the silent one, is very happy with the release.
    fetito666JuliusBorisov
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited October 2018
    Interesting thing I've noticed over there. If you already own Diamond on GOG you are apparently eligible for a double discount e.g. 25% off becomes 50% and the DD goes from 35% off to 60% off. However this only seems to work if you sign into gog on the front page and not the page that the version of NwN EE you want is on. Almost made me buy it again at those prices but as I already have EE from BeamDog and I am not made of money (no really I'm not)...

As far as those reviews go. There is only 1 verified owner review for the base game and the same number for the DD (different person)

TR
    JuliusBorisovdunahan
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    fetito666 said:

Can people post negative reviews on gog.com even though they don't even own the game?

Yes. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/72829/gog-verified-owner-score-is-1-point-20-higher-than-from-the-all-reviewers-score
    edited October 2018
    There is now a head-shaped dent in my computer desk. GOG are winding me up. Tried to write a review and fell afoul of the character limits. Edited it down to below their limit and still it doesn't show. Tried it with ms edge after opera. Same result. Even after something like 10 tries and waiting 15 minutes. Gah! Gave up trying.

Then there is the fact that the only link to the digital deluxe is hidden away in the news announcement and not on the base games page.

TR
    Post edited by TarotRedhand on
    JuliusBorisov
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    thats the problem with gog reviews. you can post them even if you don't already own the game. alot of reviews are basically " thanks gog for adding this game." when a game first comes out for example.
  • dudalbdudalb Member Posts: 7

fetito666 said:

Can people post negative reviews on gog.com even though they don't even own the game?

Yes. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/72829/gog-verified-owner-score-is-1-point-20-higher-than-from-the-all-reviewers-score
    I have not yet encounted a gaming site that can police whether or not a reviewer actually owns the game or not. It would be really hard to do. You have the same problem at movie sites..lot of trolls will badmouth a film without seeing it;it impossible to stop. The DC and Marvel fans who automatically bad mouth a movie from the Enemy are something to behold.
    The main problem with GOG is not the reviews, but the forums, which have produced a number of people who just plain hate Beamdog. I am not talking about legitimate criticism...I have problems with some of what Beamdog has done...but about over the top hatred.
    Some of them are truly obsessive about it.
    I am a big fan of GOG. I first discovered them in 2009, and bought a game "Lords of the Realm 2" from Sierra which I had not been able to run on a modern (for them) computer. The GOG version installed and played like a charm. I have over 500 games from them.As far as classic games go, they do a much,much better job of updating then STEAM does. I prefer to buy from GOG whenever possible..which is why I waited until GOG got it to buy NWN EE.
    But the GOG forums have become a cesspool..and not just from the Beamdog discussions. GOG seems to attract some obsessive,narcisstic types...there is a group that still attack GOG for not supporting XP anymore. ANd it gets even more bizarre.

JuliusBorisovGM_ODA
  • dudalbdudalb Member Posts: 7
    I bought NWN EE the digital deluxe edition from GOG last night for 20 bucks..(I owned the GOG diamond edition and got a 60% discount) installed it using GOG Galaxy and played around in "Infinate Dungeons " for a while. Runs like a charm.
    I think tried some of the community mods I had and got quite a few "necessary HAK not found" but a little common sense and some cut and pasting from my Diamond edition soon solved that.
    The big secret in setting up the GOG NWN EE to run the community stuff is that gog version has two folders;;the main folder and a folder in documents which seems to be set up deliberlty to handle community mods. Past the haks and other files from you Diamong edition in the NWN directory in documents, not the main program. I am sure you can find detailed instructions, if needed how to do that somewhere on this website.But so far, the CEp files seem to like the EE just fine.
    JuliusBorisov
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited October 2018
    beamdog did that as thats was how nwn 2 worked. they wanted the folder where all the modded content is to be separate from the main folder to prevent issues.
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    If you have a GOG account, just click "disagree" on the reviews, report them if necessary, and move on.
    TarotRedhandActarusdunahan
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    dudalb said:

fetito666 said:

I have not yet encounted a gaming site that can police whether or not a reviewer actually owns the game or not. It would be really hard to do. You have the same problem at movie sites..lot of trolls will badmouth a film without seeing it;it impossible to stop. The DC and Marvel fans who automatically bad mouth a movie from the Enemy are something to behold.
    The main problem with GOG is not the reviews, but the forums, which have produced a number of people who just plain hate Beamdog. I am not talking about legitimate criticism...I have problems with some of what Beamdog has done...but about over the top hatred.
    Some of them are truly obsessive about it.
    I am a big fan of GOG. I first discovered them in 2009, and bought a game "Lords of the Realm 2" from Sierra which I had not been able to run on a modern (for them) computer. The GOG version installed and played like a charm. I have over 500 games from them.As far as classic games go, they do a much,much better job of updating then STEAM does. I prefer to buy from GOG whenever possible..which is why I waited until GOG got it to buy NWN EE.
    But the GOG forums have become a cesspool..and not just from the Beamdog discussions. GOG seems to attract some obsessive,narcisstic types...there is a group that still attack GOG for not supporting XP anymore. ANd it gets even more bizarre.

Yep, back when GOG Mixes were a thing, someone created a Mix calling Beamdog "parasites of the industry", and listed the usual lies, eg Beamdog stole mods and not crediting Black Isle. I had to contact GOG support to get it removed, and the creator started a whining thread on the forums, about how his uninformed opinions are actually facts. I then googled his name, and it turns out he went on a one man anti-Beamdog rampage across several sites, including Steam, where he made a Steam group of the same name. Some people are truly pathetic.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited October 2018
    Has anyone who bought the GOG version tried the Neverwinter Nights Mod Installer Tool - NIT by @Surazal with it? It's a rather neat tool for managing modules from the vault that also tracks any haks required. I know it works for both the BD and Steam versions but not if its OK with the GOG version.

TR
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I doubt reviews have that much of an impact really. A lot of people that buy EE's apparently never play them but those invested in NWN will buy it regardless as long as it is needed for a server or module series they play.

Besides GoG even gave away free copies of NWN at one point. I kind of doubt those that want the product will be swayed by the manufactured outrage. There are legitimate reasons that people might consider DE over EE but only those who are already invested in NWN could make that kind of differentiation.
    Talking about reviews. It is a bit annoying when GOG will accept a negative review from someone who has bought zero games whatsoever from them. Someone who apparently is only registered with them to make reviews (total 7). Just look for the person who left the hashtag #BoycottGOG.

TR
    fetito666
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I'm not too familiar but I think Steam does the same. I don't really follow that kind of drama or want to waste my time reading online rants. It's like the like/dislike ratio on youtube, does it mean anything?
  • VivienneLVivienneL Member Posts: 52
    I didn't buy the GOG version because I'd already bought it on Beamdog but I did leave a positive review on their Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Digital Deluxe Edition page but now that it's available on GOG, I'm very disappointed that I cannot add it to my GOG library. This is all the more disappointing because we can add it to the Steam library but I prefer using GOG. Please make it possible to add to the GOG library. I do not want to spend close to another $40 to buy a game I already own. This has become important to me because the Beamdog client is giving me problems for which I've already filed a bug report on the support page.
    dunahan
  • VivienneLVivienneL Member Posts: 52
    I also understand that people who buy the GOG version at the moment will receive the original Diamond version for free which we who have bought on Beamdog have not received. I happen to own the Platinum version which I received as a gift years ago. I'm still using the toolset from that version updated to 1.69 for working on my module.
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    just grabbed this on gog, thanks Beamdog... love your work guys!
    JuliusBorisovDrakon
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77
    edited October 2018
    Bought it this morning on GOG.

But don't be fooled, im still disappointed about the EE ,there many things to improve, stuff to fix,remove the level cap,open the spellbook , unhardcoding feat, fix the BUGS...yes again. I feel intollerable that after 14 years i bought the same game (for the third time...) with the same old bug.
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    Bummer, I missed the sale this weekend waiting for a check to clear.. I tried to get the Digital Deluxe edition just now, but even though I have NWN Diamond in my GOG library, I didnt see any discount. It was gonna charge me $52 for it.. Do you have to do something special to see it? Maybe its because my NWN Diamond was a freebie??
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Bummer, I missed the sale this weekend waiting for a check to clear.. I tried to get the Digital Deluxe edition just now, but even though I have NWN Diamond in my GOG library, I didnt see any discount. It was gonna charge me $52 for it.. Do you have to do something special to see it? Maybe its because my NWN Diamond was a freebie??

"For a limited time, owners of the Diamond Edition get an additional 25% off when purchasing Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition and Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Digital Deluxe on GOG."

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/10/october-12-livestream-recap.html
    Somone asked about this earlier today so I checked and found that the launch discount is already finished. That seemed a shorter discount period than some others (don't ask, I can't remember which particular ones).

TR
  • ClisairClisair Member Posts: 15

beamdog did that as thats was how nwn 2 worked. they wanted the folder where all the modded content is to be separate from the main folder to prevent issues.

I liked the old way folders were handled. Had a folder for each server I ran, had folders for testing things out. I have 7 or so installs of 1.69 on my comp. Actually one more for building :wink:
  • ClisairClisair Member Posts: 15

For a limited time, owners of the Diamond Edition get an additional 25% off when purchasing Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition and Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition Digital Deluxe on GOG."

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/10/october-12-livestream-recap.html

I missed the sale because of a hurricane. Spent 11 days with no water, no electric, no phone, and no internet :disappointed:
    JuliusBorisov
    @Clisair That's terrible! Hope you and your family will be well.
    Clisairfetito666TarotRedhand